Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1242 - Maxx Force Media Day coverage
Users viewing this topic: DoinItForTheFame, Innovtech and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby thrillrider » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:53 pm

i305isdaddy wrote:From your trip report photos it's pretty amazing that it's July 9 and they still don't have queue rails in the ground, and haven't begun painting them. I'm really not shocked that most of the park's employees don't seem to care to do their jobs well/quickly when this is the sort of stuff that management allows. I know we had bad weather this year but that definitely didn't affect the ability to have a basic, undecorated queue in place halfway through the season.

Those pictures were from July 5th. To be fair,I'm not sure how necessary the unfinished line is needed. With the exception of first thing in the morning, the line was just outside of the entrance. I kinda thought it was odd that they didn't have any temporary line in place(like they did when goliath opened), but in all honesty it really wasn't needed.
As far as the employees go, they all seemed friendly and generally in a decent mood. I never ran into a pissy or rude employee the whole time. As a matter of fact, I had one ask me how my day was going and started a conversation with me.
I've ran into more rude employees at cedarpoint this year.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Captain Coaster Nerd!!

Postby JamesMC » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:06 am

So, as far as Maxx Force is concerned, here is my report from riding it today. I was not there when the park opened, but I got in line as soon as I entered the park. The quoted wait time was 90 min and pretty accurate as I got on it in 84 min.

That being said, I am not sure what the theoretical throughput of the ride is stated as delivering, but it was never quicker than close to 3 min between launches. At that rate, with full trains, that’s about 320 guests/hour. For today anyway.

Half of the queue line switchbacks are not completed yet but are on the way. Today was about 84 with faint breezes occasionally, but there is no shade now until the last 15 feet before boarding. Stay hydrated, bring water or Powerade/Gatorade, it was at least ten degrees hotter in line. A young early 20-ish woman fainted in line and had to be wheeled out by EMT’s and later left the park on a stretcher with an ambulance crew.

From some concrete footers near the existing lampposts it appears that when the queue line is completed that there will be some sort of canopy over it,but not right now.

As far as the ride itself:

Trains look awesome and the restraints are snug and comfy.

The launch is Pure Bliss and Adrenaline!!!

I have been on TTD at Cedar Point, which is faster, but a much longer launch, but to go almost instantaneously from standing still to 80 MPH, in maybe a third of that time is what is worth the price of admission here. WOW! And that sonic boom just after you hit top speed...amazing. The launch up til just past the Zero-g roll elements are super intense. The final inversions are fun as well but are already backing off on the overall speed.

I am happy overall with the ride, but it is terribly short. I was talking to some other people at the park who said it did not open until well after Noon, and as much as I was willing to wait another 90 min for it, it stopped operations from just before 6, until just after 8 p.m. When I went by the queue at 8:55, the line was Far Longer than when I rode it initially, I am guessing at least 1 hour 45 min. I unfortunately had to skip it and wait until next time I go to the park.

It seems to me that once all the bugs and opening jitters are worked out that this ride could launch every 90 seconds, meaning 600+ capacity per hour which is still pretty terrible. However, that launch is just enough to want to make you ride it over and over again.

As far as terrible goes....I will get right back in line next time I get there....so there’s that.

Postby prozach626 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:35 am

JamesMC wrote:It seems to me that once all the bugs and opening jitters are worked out that this ride could launch every 90 seconds.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You mean 'could' like if it had no riders and a crew from Disney, with no seat belts and air gates, right?

Not even the Halsey music blasted throughout the station and ride area could get SFGam teenage ride operators hustling for 90 second dispatches. Combine that with one out of every twenty American riders not fitting in the restraints and I'd say your 3 minute dispatches are exactly what you can expect.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby 9Armgeddon4 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:28 am

^ Yeah I think it’s a pipe dream to think this coaster could(will) ever have 90 second dispatches at this park.
Last edited by 9Armgeddon4 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:04 pm.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:36 am

^&^^&^^^ Put the ride at Knoebles...only way to see that capacity! =)

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby JT325 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:55 am

prozach626 wrote:Not even the Halsey music blasted throughout the station and ride area could get SFGam teenage ride operators hustling for 90 second dispatches.

Some decent training would work. Think Cedar Fair, Holiday World... I know, decent training is not a part of six flags' system. How awesome these parks could be!
Cedar Point Frontier Lift 2020

Postby thrillrider » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:53 am

JT325 wrote:
prozach626 wrote:Not even the Halsey music blasted throughout the station and ride area could get SFGam teenage ride operators hustling for 90 second dispatches.

Some decent training would work. Think Cedar Fair, Holiday World... I know, decent training is not a part of six flags' system. How awesome these parks could be!

I have seen some horrific operations at all park chains. Cedar fair has had bad operations at certain times, just as six flags. The last few times I rode steel vengeance, it was 4 minutes between dispatches. The brand new coaster at six flags had about the same.
Most of the time that a ride stacks(in my experiences), 9 times out of 10 its because a person cant fit or figure out the seatbelts. Neither of those issues are the crews fault. You also have to remember who the parks have to hire...teenagers that are making around minimum wage, and have a teenage mentality.
I dont care how much training you do. Factor in all of those issues with 90 degree summer heat on a 12 hour day. And that's what you get.
I know dissing on six flags is the "cool thing to do", but in all honesty they are right there with other parks as far as employees hustle goes.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby JT325 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:41 am

thrillrider wrote:I know dissing on six flags is the "cool thing to do", but in all honesty they are right there with other parks as far as employees hustle goes.

I respectfully disagree with you. It's not the "cool thing to do," it's being honest.

Six Flags hires good people, but they aren't given anything to work with. This was even my experience in the mid 90s working for CP for 3 summers then one season as an intern at SFOT. It was clear even back then, and the difference between the chains in terms of functionality/service/efficiency and communications is profound. It's natural to compare the 2 as they are the 2 main "thrill park" chains.
Cedar Point Frontier Lift 2020

Postby Superbatboy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:43 pm

thrillrider wrote:I know dissing on six flags is the "cool thing to do", but in all honesty they are right there with other parks as far as employees hustle goes.

I feel this is a trend among enthusiasts as well. While Six Flags is farrrrr from perfect when it comes to operations, enthusiasts definitely exaggerate a bit when it comes to critiquing the chain.
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Captain Coaster Nerd!!

Postby JamesMC » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:40 pm

I don't Tweet so this will have to do...at SFGAM right now in line for Maxx Force. Big improvement this week with launches averaging every 105-110 seconds. The line is only 80% as long as last Tues, but moving almost 3x quicker. Got my first ride after a 32 min wait. Let's hope the trend continues.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!