Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1257 - World's Tallest Water Coaster coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Captain Coaster Nerd!!

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby JamesMC » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:22 pm

Take 294. There may be a slowdown in the area around O'Hare airport, but for the most part it is generally painless. Unless you are going on the weekend it is usually pretty fast. Another bonus is that there are 4 rest stop oasis areas between the IL state line and Great America and on I-90/94 there are none until it merges back with 294 in northern Illinois.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:24 am

I second the ferry idea. Another option is to take a hot air balloon. Both are convenient, so it's your choice.

Or, you can just take 294 and not over complicate it. I 'think' that's the way any GPS takes us and we've never had any issues with it. Google maps will help you avoid traffic. You'll be fine.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby AndrewA86 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:16 am

Thanks. I figured 294 was the better option but believe it or not google, and my iphone said to take 90.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby ilrider » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:38 am

^90 is the shorter route, and there are times the GPS will try to take you that way, but that will depend on time of day and current traffic conditions. The Skyway Toll is $5 on 90, which is a big reason we avoid that route. If you want a nice up close view of Chicago, you can take it, but we just prefer going around on 294. Just try both routes as you near Chicago in your GPS and if it much faster to go 90, then that’s fine. Construction on some parts of 294 does slow it down at times.

Southbound on 90 back into the city almost always results in heavy traffic beginning several miles before downtown, so only take 90 northbound to the park if you do take it.
[img]
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://
[Image
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/fe606e4d7df6bd8b82f92c697d3b438b.jpg[/img][/url]

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby sara.gillette » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:52 am

AndrewA86 wrote:Thanks. I figured 294 was the better option but believe it or not google, and my iphone said to take 90.

If you time your trip so you're passing through the City early enough, you will fly through either route and there won't be any traffic although I do think they are still doing nightly lane closures in the Jane Byrne Interchange (on I-90) so that could still be slow.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby JG-77 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:06 am

AndrewA86 wrote:Gonna be visiting the park for the first time in a couple weeks and I'm wondering what the best route is to take in terms of avoiding traffic if possible. Coming from the east it looks like my two options are to take 90 right through Chicago or to go around Chicago on 294. Or is there a 3rd option? Thanks.

Not sure if your itinerary supports it, but have you considered rail? It might be worth at least looking at as an option, even though chances are it probably won’t be fast.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby AndrewA86 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:06 pm

I did but was advised against it because they are usually never on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Postby prozach626 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:36 pm

ilrider wrote:The Skyway Toll is $5 on 90, which is a big reason we avoid that route. If you want a nice up close view of Chicago, you can take it, but we just prefer going around on 294.

I'd pay $10 for the convenience of mindlessly following the blue line on my prehistoric iphone, with the priority of my focus being on whatever shitty pop culture music I'm listening to. Not only that, but yes. If you want to see a shooting you're better off taking the route closest to Chicago, but if you're close enough to pick up Chicago radio stations there's still a chance you'll have a front row seat. Talk about a thrill ride...

Seriously though, bro. Don't sweat it. Leave with time to spare and follow the blue line on your GPS. My only advice is to bring cash and plenty of loose change for tolls. They're worth it for the most direct route. A few bucks for more convenience? Sold.

Postby thrillrider » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Here is a quick trip report to check out maxx force. Lots of pictures here....
https://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76923
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby i305isdaddy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:27 pm

From your trip report photos it's pretty amazing that it's July 9 and they still don't have queue rails in the ground, and haven't begun painting them. I'm really not shocked that most of the park's employees don't seem to care to do their jobs well/quickly when this is the sort of stuff that management allows. I know we had bad weather this year but that definitely didn't affect the ability to have a basic, undecorated queue in place halfway through the season.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!