Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1257 - World's Tallest Water Coaster coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 13 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby Superbatboy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:31 pm

southpuddle wrote:As a former TTD ride op, I’ve seen a handful of dislocated shoulders from people who had their hands up on the launch, so I understand. Granted, that’s only a handful out of tens of thousands of times I’ve witnessed it, but this is the reason for the rule, I’m sure.

I believe it, my left shoulder was sore for several days after putting my hands up on TTD. I wouldn't even dare think of doing the same on Maxx Force.
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:08 pm

Agreed. Ouch. That hurts just thinking about. Never EVER would I want to put my hands up for a launch that forceful (really I don't see the point in putting up your hands for any launch)

As side note. To those who have ridden it, how does the launch feel compared to the hydraulic launchers?

Through some simple arithmetic, I believe the accelerations roughly would be...

TTD: 120mph/4 s = + 30 mph each second

KK 128 / 3.5 s = + 36.5 mph each second

Xcelerator 82 / 2.3 s = + 35.7 mph each second

---
Maxx Force 78 / 2 s = + 39 mph each second (Fastest accelerating North Am. coaster)
Last edited by Intamin_coyote on Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:53 pm.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby skyrocket010 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:40 am

How are the seats and restraints? Is this going to be a difficult ride for larger guests to fit into?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby sara.gillette » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:10 am

The seatbelt is very forgiving. Similar to Whizzer. The restraint is deceiving. I saw many people click in several clicks on the restraint yet it still threw a code in the booth that it wasn't secure. Ride ops will help push it down but not force it. If you have another adult with you to really push down you should be fine.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby RCTycoonClassic » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:50 pm

Intamin_coyote wrote:Agreed. Ouch. That hurts just thinking about. Never EVER would I want to put my hands up for a launch that forceful (really I don't see the point in putting up your hands for any launch)

As side note. To those who have ridden it, how the launch feel compared the hydraulic launchers?

---
Maxx Force 78 / 2 s = + 39 mph each second (Fastest accelerating North Am. coaster)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby RCTycoonClassic » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:53 pm

Intamin_coyote wrote:Agreed. Ouch. That hurts just thinking about. Never EVER would I want to put my hands up for a launch that forceful (really I don't see the point in putting up your hands for any launch)

As side note. To those who have ridden it, how the launch feel compared the hydraulic launchers?

---

The launches feel much different. Maxx Force feels instant with a lot of track to go before you go up. TTD feels like it accelerates forever. There is quite a bit of track with no acceleration on MF before you go up....faster acceleration for sure, but I prefer the TTD launch because it goes on forever in comparison.

Visually TTD looks better as well, there is a lot of space between the launch and where you start to go up, obviously the height too.

That being said MF is a fantastic ride that has a very good shorter layout, and silky smooth.

Launch goes to TTD, overall ride, I think MF may have it.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:27 pm

This ride looks simply amazing!! The launch looks incredibly powerful! Can't wait to give this thing a go! (Sadly it won't be till next year.) But.. hey! Something to look forward to!
Bigger is not always better.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby AndrewA86 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:22 pm

Gonna be visiting the park for the first time in a couple weeks and I'm wondering what the best route is to take in terms of avoiding traffic if possible. Coming from the east it looks like my two options are to take 90 right through Chicago or to go around Chicago on 294. Or is there a 3rd option? Thanks.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Mike240SX » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:33 pm

I can tell you that 90 through Chicago is NOT a good idea; I did it when I went out there in 2017 and it was the worst 6 hours of the entire drive. Googlemaps recommends the 294 route, but I'd suggest something a little out there:

1. Take 96 west across Michigan to Muskegon.
2. Take the Lake Express Ferry to Milwaukee
3. Take 94 south to the park.

It'll cost substantially more (the ferry isn't cheap), and take about 2 hours longer than the 294 route, but you get to enjoy a ferry ride (it's better to spend 2 hours walking around a boat with access to a bar then 2 hours sitting in stop-and-go traffic) and even stop in MiA for a few rides if you want.

I took the ferry going back east from Milwaukee and it was a very, very smart move on my part.

If you decide to go that route, I highly recommend buying the ferry ticket for a specific time in advance - you don't want to get there and find the boat is full since they run 6 hour departure intervals.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby ilrider » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:03 pm

AndrewA86 wrote:Gonna be visiting the park for the first time in a couple weeks and I'm wondering what the best route is to take in terms of avoiding traffic if possible. Coming from the east it looks like my two options are to take 90 right through Chicago or to go around Chicago on 294. Or is there a 3rd option? Thanks.

Take 294. I have lived here my whole life, and I only take 90 when I am going to the city. 90 costs more in tolls, and you can hit some heavy traffic near the city. Cannot guarantee you will not hit some traffic on 294 too with construction season afoot, but it is just easier.
[img]
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://
[Image
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/fe606e4d7df6bd8b82f92c697d3b438b.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!