Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1242 - Maxx Force Media Day coverage
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?
 
Posts: 270
Joined: 19 Jan 2019
Location: Aurora, IL
Gender: Male
Age: 15

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby jlp94 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:41 am

^ How long have the lines been? Up to 3-4 hours?
Image

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 4172
Joined: 05 Jul 2012
Location: On a two man ride with Flume Dog
Gender: Male
Age: 34

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:38 am

jlp94 wrote:- The ride is VERY smooth, though maybe it's too smooth


2019 - When not only can rides be criticized for being too rough, but they can finally be criticized for being too smooth. Personally, my only complaint was that the seats are too comfortable.

RollingCoasting wrote:My only gripe with the ride is that you're not allowed to put your hands up on the launch. :?r


It's a liability thing. If you send a thousand riders with their hands up someone is likely to strain a muscle and blame Six Flags.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.
User avatar
 
Posts: 558
Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Location: Chicago area
Gender: Male
Age: 43

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby ilrider » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:55 am

jlp94 wrote:^ How long have the lines been? Up to 3-4 hours?


Worst I heard it got from a manager was 2 hours yesterday for the preview. We waited an hour 15 minutes this morning, but that was because we got in line when the Coke ERT started, well before the ride opened, to be near the front. It was 75 minutes when we left at 1:30 today. Not too bad at all. They are dispatching pretty quickly, and I honestly think this ride is scaring some people away. There were not a lot of young kids in line. My son is 10, but he has been riding everything for years and has no fear.
[img]
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://
[Image
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/fe606e4d7df6bd8b82f92c697d3b438b.jpg[/img][/url]

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3314
Joined: 19 Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Gender: Male

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby Superbatboy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:51 pm

This seems to be a success, wonder how many copy and paste jobs Six Flags will do with this model.
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

I know more about donkeys than women!
User avatar
 
Posts: 363
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Gender: Male
Age: 32

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby southpuddle » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:34 pm

As a former TTD ride op, I’ve seen a handful of dislocated shoulders from people who had their hands up on the launch, so I understand. Granted, that’s only a handful out of tens of thousands of times I’ve witnessed it, but this is the reason for the rule, I’m sure.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?
User avatar
 
Posts: 127
Joined: 13 Feb 2018
Gender: None specified

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby SteVeUrkle » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:58 pm

southpuddle wrote:As a former TTD ride op, I’ve seen a handful of dislocated shoulders from people who had their hands up on the launch, so I understand. Granted, that’s only a handful out of tens of thousands of times I’ve witnessed it, but this is the reason for the rule, I’m sure.


I have not yet ridden an air-launched coaster, but undoubtedly the force based on the speed to second ratio means the launch is just as, if not more aggressive than the hydraulic launches. I could understand the parks having that warning just to save their butts if a dislocated shoulder from a rider were to happen.

I'm a pretty tough guy but as I'm getting older injuries suck. I imagine they have that policy just to cover their butts if someone does hurt themselves while riding. I keep my hands down on most launches these days, and honestly it does not affect the ride experience at all.

I still have not seen a response to the question about that little bump after the launch, does it give a pop of air at all?
Live Cedar Point Queue Times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 4172
Joined: 05 Jul 2012
Location: On a two man ride with Flume Dog
Gender: Male
Age: 34

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:59 pm

Superbatboy wrote:This seems to be a success, wonder how many copy and paste jobs Six Flags will do with this model.


It's a pretty big undertaking for a copy/paste ride. It's not like a free-spin. No one has said one word about SeaWorld/Busch having two Skyrocket 2 coasters, but people will undoubtedly complain if this ride were to be copied in just one other SF park.

SteVeUrkle wrote:I still have not seen a response to the question about that little bump after the launch, does it give a pop of air at all?

I'm not sure if these elements do much. My guess is that they seem like a good filler instead of longer stretches of straight track so that that coaster designers can put elements where they want without leaving any lull in the action.
Last edited by prozach626 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:03 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3493
Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Age: 20

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:01 pm

Superbatboy wrote:This seems to be a success, wonder how many copy and paste jobs Six Flags will do with this model.


There are many parks in the Six Flags chain that could greatly benefit from a ride like Maxx Force (SFOG and SFNE come to mind). Hopefully they would develop custom layouts, but if Six Flags were to clone this ride I personally wouldn't mind at all.

It's also nice to hear the ride is running fairly consistently and efficiently. Given the issues Gale Force and Merlin's Mayhem had, it's nice to see S&S have a major win. I hope the same for Steel Curtain.
Steel: 172 / Wood: 32 / Total: 204
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.
User avatar
 
Posts: 558
Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Location: Chicago area
Gender: Male
Age: 43

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby ilrider » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:07 pm

SteVeUrkle wrote:
southpuddle wrote:As a former TTD ride op, I’ve seen a handful of dislocated shoulders from people who had their hands up on the launch, so I understand. Granted, that’s only a handful out of tens of thousands of times I’ve witnessed it, but this is the reason for the rule, I’m sure.


I have not yet ridden an air-launched coaster, but undoubtedly the force based on the speed to second ratio means the launch is just as, if not more aggressive than the hydraulic launches. I could understand the parks having that warning just to save their butts if a dislocated shoulder from a rider were to happen.

I'm a pretty tough guy but as I'm getting older injuries suck. I imagine they have that policy just to cover their butts if someone does hurt themselves while riding. I keep my hands down on most launches these days, and honestly it does not affect the ride experience at all.

I still have not seen a response to the question about that little bump after the launch, does it give a pop of air at all?


No, there really is no air on the bump after the launch that I noticed. It is just there for the track to pass under after coming back down from the double inversion. It does create a head chopper effect coming back down.
Last edited by ilrider on Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:37 pm.
[img]
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://
[Image
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/fe606e4d7df6bd8b82f92c697d3b438b.jpg[/img][/url]

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.
User avatar
 
Posts: 558
Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Location: Chicago area
Gender: Male
Age: 43

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby ilrider » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:28 pm

ilrider wrote:
SteVeUrkle wrote:
southpuddle wrote:As a former TTD ride op, I’ve seen a handful of dislocated shoulders from people who had their hands up on the launch, so I understand. Granted, that’s only a handful out of tens of thousands of times I’ve witnessed it, but this is the reason for the rule, I’m sure.


I have not yet ridden an air-launched coaster, but undoubtedly the force based on the speed to second ratio means the launch is just as, if not more aggressive than the hydraulic launches. I could understand the parks having that warning just to save their butts if a dislocated shoulder from a rider were to happen.

I'm a pretty tough guy but as I'm getting older injuries suck. I imagine they have that policy just to cover their butts if someone does hurt themselves while riding. I keep my hands down on most launches these days, and honestly it does not affect the ride experience at all.

I still have not seen a response to the question about that little bump after the launch, does it give a pop of air at all?


Deleted due to duplicate post.
[img]
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://
[Image
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/fe606e4d7df6bd8b82f92c697d3b438b.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron