Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1257 - World's Tallest Water Coaster coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:39 pm

TurnOfTheCentury wrote:Is it really that costly to design an extra 50 feet of ramp after the plunge for the braking ?

I think the answer is yes. You're also going to have to have an extra 50 feet out and 50 feet back. That might require several extra support beams, concrete footers, and space.

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby TurnOfTheCentury » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:20 am

prozach626 wrote:
TurnOfTheCentury wrote:Is it really that costly to design an extra 50 feet of ramp after the plunge for the braking ?

I think the answer is yes. You're also going to have to have an extra 50 feet out and 50 feet back. That might require several extra support beams, concrete footers, and space.

understood - but it is likely the "cheapest" portion of the ride (essentially ground level). I appreciate the space issue, and braking on the downhill also serves to control speed, which also limits space needed for braking on the straight line section. Still.... most coasters have a straight-line braking section and with magnetic brakes, the space needed is comparatively minimal ....

That said, I haven't been on YOLO (or obviously this one), so maybe the braking doesn't really take away from the final plunge sensation?

Postby Superbatboy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:28 am

TurnOfTheCentury wrote:why ruin it with braking?

For the safety of guests, a ride crashing into the station is bad publicity
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Postby prozach626 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:37 am

TurnOfTheCentury wrote:
prozach626 wrote:

understood - but it is likely the "cheapest" portion of the ride (essentially ground level). I appreciate the space issue, and braking on the downhill also serves to control speed, which also limits space needed for braking on the straight line section. Still.... most coasters have a straight-line braking section and with magnetic brakes, the space needed is comparatively minimal ....

That said, I haven't been on YOLO (or obviously this one), so maybe the braking doesn't really take away from the final plunge sensation?

Every little bit of money counts, especially if you look at it from a chain-wide perspective. Pushing the brake run 50 feet forward won't make any difference to people who don't spend time cruising roller coaster forums. The people who will call this roller coaster too short will still do so regardless of a little less brake run.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby jlp94 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:52 am

RollingCoasting wrote:July 3rd can't come soon enough! (Assuming that is the preview day for members/pass holders)

Can anyone confirm this as the date? My dad and I are planning to go but only if we can ride Maxx Force.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby RollingCoasting » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:24 am

Can confirm.

Higher tier memberships can start riding at 11

Gold plus memberships at 1

Gold memberships and season pass holders at 5
Screenshot_20190626-112051.png

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby bill_s » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:12 am

This thing's going to have a lot of energy left when it hits the brakes. Or would, if they waited until the ground level.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:21 am

I'm sure if they get enough recommendations in their guest surveys they'll build a 2nd lap in the off season. By build in the off season I specifically am talking about April, May, June 2020.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:26 am

^Maybe in 30 years when it moves to SFA they'll extend it! =)

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:50 am

SharkTums wrote:^Maybe in 30 years when it moves to SFA they'll extend it! =)

Don't forget the floorless trains and fire! :butt:
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!