Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1257 - World's Tallest Water Coaster coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I own the website www.donkey.com

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby JT325 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:09 am

I'm surprised the fight in the parking lot on Wednesday hasn't surfaced on the news. My friend and I were leaving the park at closing - around 8pm, and there was something going on right at the front of the lot. We stood out front and watched this thing escalate quickly, but kept back. It was all this yelling and we could see people going back and forth... a couple minutes go by and 2 cop vehicles with flashing lights come from BOTH sides. A small crowd had formed around the fight and then the cops where there and a bunch of park security.

I had a second of disbelief when I heard a booming voice scream out "DROP IT!" Then again "DROP IT!" Scary stuff. People were leaving and just trying to get to their cars. It was sad to think these people with their kids and toddlers had to be around this stuff.

My friend and I were only at the park from 6-8. Buying a membership was a challenge for me this year, as I've gone to the park less and less over the past couple years. I love the rides we have at my home park, but it's still a Six Flags operation (and probably the best operated in the chain, which isn't saying much). Those stupid long "cattle" exit walks to get off the coasters, except Whizzer and Demon, which were built before Six Flags*. The outdated blaring speakers in ride stations; the uninspired, bored and cocky employees (they are probably good people, but SF doesn't give them anything to work with <training>). The smell of fresh blacktop. The lack of seating. The annoyance of loud repetitive boom music screaming in our faces. The horrible communication of everything the employees should have been trained for...

It's time for an extended Six Flags break for me. It's just not fun anymore. It's not even worth my time. I'd rather drive several hours to another park where I feel a little more respected, and where I can relax if I need to. Why do it if it's not fun? There are so many other GREAT options; from 30 minutes away to 5 hours: Santa's Villiage, Little Amerricka, Bay Beach, Cedar Point, Holiday World, Kings Island (Indiana Beach was on that list before about a decade ago.) Having a good time is worth the extra drive at this point.

Every year, I hear the same thing from friends. "Oh, they're doing much better this year at Six Flags (fill in the blank)." "Even Park President (fill in the blank) is on top of the operation, they promise you'll see the changes!" Blah blah blah.

dmh1079 wrote:^Don't forget the CP&LE Railroad. You can just stay on the ride to minimize your queue-to-ride-duration ratio.

It probably won't be open for a LONG time. The new half-coaster*, we heard, "should be ready on August 1st." I couldn't care less about the new ride, personally. Another test track to nab a record.

*Ridiculously long exit walkways back to the midway and super-short coasters are NOT spacial issues. They are designed that way on purpose.

*****End rant*****

Good stuff: Whizzer, as always, is running like new. The train we rode it was pristine, they really do take special care of that ride. Same deal with the Lobster - but a shorter ride cycle than ever.
61922111_1182257898612677_1337959982892580864_n.jpg
Flashing lights seemingly sweeped in from both sides of the parking lot. It's like the cherry on top of your six flags day.
Cedar Point Frontier Lift 2020

Postby Mike240SX » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:43 am

A-holes gonna be a-holes anywhere, it has nothing to do with Six Flags. Your location says Chicago; I can guarantee the city is more dangerous than the park.

And why are you surprised it didn't make the news? Every little scuffle isn't news worthy.

More power to you for going to other parks. When I was there in 2017, I found SFGAm quite charming compared to my local SF parks (SFA and SFGAdv), and thoroughly enjoyed more than just Whizzer.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 145
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Postby JT325 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:53 am

Mike240SX wrote:A-holes gonna be a-holes anywhere, it has nothing to do with Six Flags.

I respectfully disagree. So much SF does seems geared to a more badass-acting crowd.

Mike240SX wrote:Your location says Chicago; I can guarantee the city is more dangerous than the park.

Chicago has dangerous neighborhoods, but not the whole city.

Mike240SX wrote:More power to you for going to other parks. When I was there in 2017, I found SFGAm quite charming compared to my local SF parks (SFA and SFGAdv)

Couldn't agree more. My friends and I are always like "well, even though our home park is a SF, at least it's Great America!"

Mike240SX wrote:and thoroughly enjoyed more than just Whizzer.

There are a lot of rides to enjoy, yes. The whole experience just sucks for me anymore. It's kind of sad to me as I've been going to this park since I was a little guy in the early 80s.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby _FuryBull_330_ » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:26 am

I love this park a lot, but to see this place going downhill really upsets me. I know we have been extremely lucky to get rides like Goliath and Maxx Force the last couple of years, but this place is kind of losing the charm it originally had.

This situation is a GIANT (Drop) problem with our park. I would gladly take a (X) FLIGHT to some other park to avoid myself RAGING (Bull). We need JUSTICE (League) for this park and return its old charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go :( .

Postby JT325 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:47 pm

^Charm is nice, I would be happy with a tight operation and more care put into the guest experience (see Cedar Fair, Holiday World... and a slew of smaller parks). Six Flags parks always seem very 'fend for yourself.' Very user UN-friendly.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby 9Armgeddon4 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:37 am

Good news Maxx Force has started to test slightly.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:21 pm

The park has released a video of the ride testing. It looks great.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby RaceBoarder » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:41 pm

Yay!

Now here comes the endless speculation on when opening day will be!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:10 pm

Looks really fun. I knew they'd get it ready to go by August.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby _FuryBull_330_ » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:22 am

Does anybody know why there was an explosion like sound when Maxx Force tested. It could be heard all the way from the Mardi Gras section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go :( .

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!