Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1257 - World's Tallest Water Coaster coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: SingleRiderCam and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:26 am

So if anyone else comments that "It's too cold for a Holiday event at **insert park here** and refuses to subscribe to the idea that people are used to the seasonal averages wherever they live and don't care then direct them to this video that someone shot of Great America last night when the temperatures were hovering around the high teens / low 20's. The place is packed given the conditions.

Note: Raging Bull running in those conditions at the 19 second mark because Six Flags is awesome. :lol:

Video from some Random Facebook post. (Caution - Vertical Video)

Postby thrillrider » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:03 am

Good to know. We are planning on going the week after Christmas.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby Danrarbc » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:47 pm

Yes Six Flags is really good when it comes to cold weather ride ops. Kings Island has three coasters open. Only two are full size. And one of those is indoors. Herschend does a little bit better job down in Silver Dollar City and Dollywood, but they still appear to follow the manufacturer's recommended minimum operating temperatures. Only Six Flags appears to actually completely ignore that and test rides at various temperatures - only they appear to actually strive to figure out what the true minimum temperature is for any given layout. Whatever complaints I may have about individual Parks, or individual park administration staff members, or the corporation itself, cold weather operations isn't a weak spot.

I suppose the closest comparison is Disney. They do appear to attempt to operate the outdoor coasters in Paris as long as they possibly can.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Jelenp » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:34 pm

I haven't had a chance to go since I had trips to Dollywood and SFOG but knowing one of my favorite rides at my homepark is running at around 20 degrees is awesome. Time to add Batman and Raging Bull to the under 40 degree club with Lightning Rod and others.
Top 5: 1. Storm Chaser 2. Steel Vengeance 3. Lightning Rod 4. X2 5. Maverick
Coaster Count: 130
I <3 Dollywood

Postby prozach626 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:18 am

Danrarbc wrote:Yes Six Flags is really good when it comes to cold weather ride ops. Kings Island has three coasters open. Only two are full size. And one of those is indoors. Herschend does a little bit better job down in Silver Dollar City and Dollywood, but they still appear to follow the manufacturer's recommended minimum operating temperatures. Only Six Flags appears to actually completely ignore that and test rides at various temperatures - only they appear to actually strive to figure out what the true minimum temperature is for any given layout. Whatever complaints I may have about individual Parks, or individual park administration staff members, or the corporation itself, cold weather operations isn't a weak spot.

Cedar Fair seems to be choosing not to open up their rides in order to dedicate more resources to the lights and Christmas atmosphere. This appears extremely successful. There's no reason to please a few coaster enthusiasts when Cedar Fair parks are attracting families in droves. I also suspect that less visitors to Cedar Fair Winterfest events are season pass holders.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby 9Armgeddon4 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:44 pm

HITP Trip Report

Today I made my third HITP trip and without a doubt this was the best. I’ll even say this was probably the best visit to the park all season. Due to snowy weather the park was very empty so lines were nonexistent yet the park didn’t close early. Even with the snow I had no trouble ride every ride I wanted to at least twice because if this. I really enjoyed riding the coaster in the snow also. I was even lucky enough to get a solo ride on V2 and BTR(including the last train of the day). I thought about making another visit but after today I don’t think I’ll be going back until next year. I would rather end the season on a very high note.
Last edited by 9Armgeddon4 on Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:25 am.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:29 pm

They ran coasters in the snow? That's impressive!

The only park I've experienced that at has been the Zierer Tivoli at Santa's Village (NH). That made the coaster a whole lot more exciting.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Gardaland & Mirabilandia

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby 9Armgeddon4 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:22 am

Oh yeah they ran the coasters in the snow alright. The only thing that wold of made it better is if Goliath was open.

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby Danrarbc » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:12 pm

9Armgeddon4 wrote:Oh yeah they ran the coasters in the snow alright. The only thing that wold of made it better is if Goliath was open.

The inversion near stall elements on Goliath probably make cold operations difficult. I agree I'd love to see if it could run.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:26 am

Just something I noticed. I was looking at the original Six Flags Dubai when I noticed a coaster that looked familiar in one of the concept arts.

sfd.jpg

maxxforce.jpg
(I can't find a better picture of the side)

I wonder if Maxx Force was planned for a while and Six Flags decided to move it to this park?
Coaster Count: 108
Check out my latest project: Six Flags Cypress Adventures
HARD ROCK PARK Coming to Chaos Crafter 2019!!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!