Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1191 - Maxx Force Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:02 pm

Coconut Pete wrote:
coasterbill wrote:Locals can tell you how to tackle the park better than I can, my only advice (since it sounds like you've never ridden it) is to ride Raging Bull in the very back row. Not one from the back... the back. It's awesome.

Definitely on my "To Do" list. Been looking forward to riding this coaster for a long time!

Oh, and if anyone has any food recommendations, I'm looking for good places to eat in and near the park. Probably gonna eat somewhere nearby for breakfast, and then for dinner when we leave.

You'll have to google it, but I think there's a Lou Malnati's nearby.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Skittles » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:40 am

Hi TPR,

As a stop on my summer trip, I'll be visiting Six Flags Great America on Thursday, July 26th. How should crowds be? Is there a good itinerary for how to get each credit, and are there any notable non-coaster rides that I should check out?

Thanks!
Coaster Count - 183

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Danrarbc » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Skittles wrote:Hi TPR,

As a stop on my summer trip, I'll be visiting Six Flags Great America on Thursday, July 26th. How should crowds be? Is there a good itinerary for how to get each credit, and are there any notable non-coaster rides that I should check out?

Thanks!

Shouldn't be too hard to get everything in on a Thursday without a Flash Pass. Start with Goliath and work either clockwise or counter-clockwise. Whizzer can actually have one of the longer lines so I'd say try working counter-clockwise and make Whizzer your final credit. Great at night.

If the lines are short enough it won't be dark yet by the time you hit Whizzer though. Many flats are on that side of the park so you could mix those in on that leg of your route.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby JT325 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:33 pm

Skittles wrote:As a stop on my summer trip, I'll be visiting Six Flags Great America on Thursday, July 26th. How should crowds be? Is there a good itinerary for how to get each credit, and are there any notable non-coaster rides that I should check out?

Like Danrarbc said, don't miss Whizzer. A night ride in the very back seat if you can do it. Whizzer is not a big thrill coaster, but rather a very rare chill coaster that is impeccably maintained. An incredible ride if you like that sort of thing. It's easily one of my all-time favorites.

As far as non-coaster rides, if you like "classic" stuff you'll want to hit at least one of the flumes: Logger's Run (double drop) and Yankee Clipper (straight drop). Also, Fiddler's Fling ("the fastest ride ever built" I joke to my friends) and Lobster are great flats not found everywhere, both Schwarzkopfs!. Triple Play and Hometown Fun Machine are good too; they are standards, but their setting at Great America is very nice.

If you are going alone and want someone to hang at the park with, be sure to post here beforehand. A bunch of us live close... and a handful of coaster/park nerds are always at the park. I usually go at night, when the crowds start leaving. Unforunately, the park has cut hours during the summer again... no more 10 pm closes on weekdays.
#CPFrontierLift2019

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Vargonon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:27 pm

JT325 wrote:
Skittles wrote:As a stop on my summer trip, I'll be visiting Six Flags Great America on Thursday, July 26th. How should crowds be? Is there a good itinerary for how to get each credit, and are there any notable non-coaster rides that I should check out?

Like Danrarbc said, don't miss Whizzer. A night ride in the very back seat if you can do it. Whizzer is not a big thrill coaster, but rather a very rare chill coaster that is impeccably maintained. An incredible ride if you like that sort of thing. It's easily one of my all-time favorites.

As far as non-coaster rides, if you like "classic" stuff you'll want to hit at least one of the flumes: Logger's Run (double drop) and Yankee Clipper (straight drop). Also, Fiddler's Fling ("the fastest ride ever built" I joke to my friends) and Lobster are great flats not found everywhere, both Schwarzkopfs!. Triple Play and Hometown Fun Machine are good too; they are standards, but their setting at Great America is very nice.

If you are going alone and want someone to hang at the park with, be sure to post here beforehand. A bunch of us live close... and a handful of coaster/park nerds are always at the park. I usually go at night, when the crowds start leaving. Unforunately, the park has cut hours during the summer again... no more 10 pm closes on weekdays.

The lines aren't too bad especially on a Thursday. I typically can get through with everything within three to four hours depending how the day is. I would also start walking towards Goliath and work clock wise around the park. For some reason Superman always has the longest lines and breaks down frequently (or at least it happens every time I'm in line), so if you go early I would ride that one first. I second taking a night ride on Whizzer and if there is a line, it's totally worth the wait. Also if you have time, I would try to take a night ride on American Eagle in the back seat on the red side. As for flat rides SFGAm offers a great line up of different rides. I would definitely hit up Lobster.
I also second coming back to here to see if there is any nerds willing to go with you if you are traveling alone. It's always fun going with someone who shares the same interest as you.

Postby thrillrider » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:49 pm

Making a last minute trip to the park this weekend.looking forward to getting back to SF great America.
Do they still have the fx type show that they had last summer? I can't remember the name of it, but it was in the theater next to the flash pass building.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby RollingCoasting » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:59 pm

EFX 360 is gone. They have some type of magic show in the theater this year

Postby thrillrider » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:01 pm

RollingCoasting wrote:EFX 360 is gone. They have some type of magic show in the theater this year

That's a bummer. The fx show was one of the better theme park shows I have seen.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby 11slataus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:43 pm

My friend and I are planning a Great America trip this Saturday (weather...potentially permitting), and I had a question about the Gold Flash Pass we were planning on getting. I've had FP at this park before, but not since Goliath. Are there any funky rules for certain rides? I think Goliath in it's opening year had like a "ride once and done" policy, or it was just available on Platinum or something. The website doesn't seem to show anything that I can see about it, and I wanted to ask.

High Priority: Goliath and Joker (Joker will be new for me!)
Significantly Lower but Still Kinda High: Justice League and Hangover

Thank you! =)

Postby thrillrider » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:37 pm

Hangover is....well...hung over right now.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!