Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1257 - World's Tallest Water Coaster coming in 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 14 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:52 am

JT325 wrote:^That kinda stinks... hopefully it will be freezing and scare some of the crowd away. They seem to be getting more resilient these days :lmao:

Honestly, when parks extend their schedules out like this you should be hoping for large crowds. The park is clearly trying to see how far they can push the season and get people to show up. If people keep showing up then Holiday in the Park is likely in Great America's future. If not, then they'll either keep closing in late November or cut back to the end of Fright Fest.

Postby prozach626 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:11 pm

So some say it will be slow on Saturday, others say packed. *scratches head*

It's surprising to me that even a Saturday in November would be as bad a typical day in the summer.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby JT325 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:22 pm

^A few years ago, I went on the last Sunday in November... may only have been like November 2 or 3, but it was packed beyond belief. It was one of the very few times I got the park and left with out getting on a single ride. It really is hit or miss.
Cedar Point Frontier Lift 2020

Postby prozach626 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:11 pm

^I'm curious if that was the last weekend of the season that year, as opposed to the park being open throughout November, this year.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby RaceBoarder » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:25 am

That was also a 70*F, sunny day. So the weather had a lot to do with it.

Postby prozach626 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:57 am

It's cold and drizzling. The security gates are over half full. This is going to be miserable....

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:05 am

prozach626 wrote:It's cold and drizzling. The security gates are over half full. This is going to be miserable....

:cry:

Make the best of it anyway! =)
Bigger is not always better.

Postby prozach626 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:52 pm

Oh we did. We made the best out of our four hour day. Please help me to understand this, as I try to have an open mind. We got to the park before opening and it was low 40's drizzling, and pretty much miserable. HOWEVER, the weather got better throughout the day, despite our hour and a half warning that the park was closing four hours (1/2 day) early due to inclimate weather. Keep in mind all coaster were running all day and no lightning. The crowd seemed to be loving the station wait rides despite the last call fall event being laughable. It seems as if the park closed due to not being able to make a profit from the day while completely abusing the weather policy. It's 445 as I type this. The weather is the most warm it has been all day with a very slight drizzle. I feel like I had a total a six flags day. Almost every big ride had full trains, but only station waits. As I type this, five minutes south of the park, the roads are dry. I'm usually a rational person, but I feel like this is total Bullshit. I'll be that guy and compare SF to CF and say when I was at KI a month ago the park stayed open from 9pm to 12am despite total constant downpour with lightning. It's 53 and dry as I type this.

Postby coasterbill » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:03 pm

prozach626 wrote:Please help me to understand this

No need, I think you've pretty much got it. Great Adventure does the same thing, closed for weather at Six Flags is code for closed because the park is losing money. They run basically all of their rides in all weather conditions aside from lightning or hurricane force winds and they will all day if they're busy but once it's clear that nobody is going to show up they'll close early and blame weather whenever possible.

I guess it's still better than the policy of a lot of Cedar Fair parks where they'll stay open but close every ride in a light drizzle or breeze even if crowd levels are absolutely enormous. :lol:

Postby prozach626 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:24 pm

Well, that definitely makes me feel better, Bill. I was trying not to sound like an entitled coaster enthusiast. This again confirms why KI (probably not typical CF) is my favorite park. When it was an absolute downpour and we hadn't heard lightning for a while, we heard the coasters start testing again. We hurried quickly to beast just as a clap of thunder sounded, only to again silence the park. At least they tried.

I'm a little butt hurt, but it gave us an excuse to literally chug two beers and marathon the bull for the last hour. We capped the day off with American Eagle as a fun way to laugh out our Six Flags day. TR to follow... someday..

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!