The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:48 am

Looks very nice, and it is definitely a much needed improvement. After the log ride and mine ride got upgrades, the rapids getting a similar treatment seemed inevitable. I’m excited to check it out this weekend!
Steel: 172 / Wood: 32 / Total: 204
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed May 15, 2019 6:02 pm

:lover: Calico River looks fantastic. I love these rapids rides, and it's pretty awesome to see so much attention going to refurb this one. I enjoyed the previous version quite a lot, so really looking forward to trying out this version too.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed May 15, 2019 6:05 pm

^ Me too, although I'm not sure if David will be into it, when we're there this September.
Then again, the possibility of getting soaked will call for some strategic "clothing plans".

EDIT: Just thought of it. I'll put David at the "water guns", hoping when we float by, it'll backfire on him. :lol:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed May 15, 2019 6:25 pm

Fun fact: Bigfoot is actually hidden on the mural along the wall of Warehouse P that you see behind the ride.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed May 15, 2019 6:45 pm

^ Too bad they didn't consider adding a Catawampus hidden somewhere along the ride. :wink:

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Shut It Down » Tue May 21, 2019 7:07 pm

Rode Calico River Rapids today and it was pretty good. I will give a lot of props to the queue as they did a real nice job building the new “show” house and incorporating the ride experience into it. Some fans are criticizing this but literally the way it’s laid out there was no choice. As for the ride, the theming is great but you’re on a rapids ride, no one is looking at anything except the next possible rapid that may soak them. It really takes away from the amazing job Knotts and Garner Holt did. I paid close attention on the three rides I took to see if anyone looked at the theming, and not one person did. Which is an absolute shame. GP aside, the update is amazing in every way. The TNT portion is gold, I found myself just standing there for a long time enjoying it all. The riders and the TNTer’s were both having a great time. And yes Bigfoot is way better in person!!! My only question is why aren’t the waterfalls working??? And why haven’t they for a long time now?

Overall: 8.5/10

Bigfoot Rapids: 3/10

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue May 21, 2019 7:09 pm

^Well, I'd do my best to look at as much theming as I could see (depending which way
I was facing/turning). Thanks for your quick review of the attraction! :smile:

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby SteVeUrkle » Tue May 21, 2019 11:49 pm

Shut It Down wrote:But I have never been to Soak City..... until today. So after 20 years how did it go???? I have to say it sucked!!! This has to be the worst big chain water park in the world. Absolutely terrible. It’s nothing but a concrete jungle with no charm, no rides, and no fun.

First off I wouldn't say Knott's Soak City is no fun. But it is one of those waterparks I visited as a local a couple years ago after a decade of waiting, and I never went back. It's OK but I'm not really a fan of flat terrain water parks, and Soak City is one of those which leads to a lot of flat concrete. It's a shame considering if they added a little bit of imagination and A LOT more trees, it could feel less "artificial." The slides are all risen on those non-themed supports, and after growing up on parks like Raging Waters and the now gone Wild Rivers which have/had quite a bit of terrain built slides, it really leaves a lot to be desired when things are just plopped down. But Cedar Fair wanted another gate for the Summer so non-local guests had "something else to do" and I think it's there just for that. I think if they would have bought some dirt to create big hills and a more terrain-like atmosphere, the park would be much better received.

Shut It Down wrote:Rode Calico River Rapids today and it was pretty good... My only question is why aren’t the waterfalls working??? And why haven’t they for a long time now?

Man, those waterfalls used to SOAK guests to the point of walking out and literally pouring water out of their shoes. I don't know why they were ever shut off, or why they're not used again, but considering the couple times I've ridden it the past couple years, and the current POV's of the updated themeing, the ride really doesn't get you all that wet anymore. It would be great if they turned those things on during the summer months to really drench folks the way it used to.

I'm wondering if it's one of those things to get ridership up as if you really got soaked the way they used to, people would be less willing to get on the ride. Getting soaked SUCKS if you have to deal with wet clothes, shoes and socks the rest of the day. I think Roaring Rapids at SFMM is still pretty good at getting the riders wet though.

BTW there used to be a photo at the entrance of Big Foot Rapids of the waterfalls being on with a quote saying "You will get wet, you might get DRENCHED!" with the waterfalls on. Literally emphasizing if you were one of the unlucky ones you might just land under one of those waterfalls, but I can't seem to find a picture of it anywhere. The closest one I found is below, MAN you would get SHOWERED! LOL!! Ahhh, those were the good old Big Foot Rapids days...

Live Cedar Point Queue Times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed May 22, 2019 9:57 am

^ I've seen a lot of parks turn off the waterfalls in cooler months. I really wish river rapids rides were in water parks.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Brockton Fair

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby SoCalJasonland » Wed May 22, 2019 11:33 am

I used my shakey cam to get an off-ride video of the rapids ride plus a few photos.
20190521_111947.jpg
Entrance
20190521_113027.jpg
Outside queue
20190521_113405.jpg
Queue house
20190521_113413.jpg
Queue house
20190521_113417.jpg
Queue house
20190521_113518.jpg
Lift
I saw your eyes
And you made me smile
For a little while
I was falling in love

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!