The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Postby VegasBaby » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:42 am

coasterbill wrote:Hey guys. I hate to ask one of these rope drop strategy question but I feel like I have to break down and do it in this case...

We're planning a brief trip to Southern California later this week and we'll have a few hours on Saturday morning to visit Knott's before heading to the airport. We've been there before and we hate that we need to cut it a bit short but we're doing Disney the day before and since we'll be in Anaheim in the morning with Platinum Passes and time to kill it seems like a no-brainer to pop in for a bit. We'll probably have 3-4 hours tops.

Hangtime is new for us, as is Coast Rider (yay?). More importantly, the last time we were at the park the log ride was down for it's big refurbishment so I've never been on it. We rode Calico mine ride but it's since been updated and we'd like to ride the refreshed version.

Obviously those rides are priorities as well as Xcelerator and (this is a Brit thing), Pony Express :lol: .

The dilemma is here really Ghostrider. I know that it's a capacity nightmare and while we've been on it I'd like to ride it now that it no longer sucks.

My temptation is to head right for the back of the park at opening and knock out Hangtime, Coast Rider, Xcelerator, Timber Mountain (hopefully) and Mine Ride in a big loop and I assume that if we do that we won't wait much for any of them. If we do that are we totally screwed on Ghostrider? Similarly, if we rope drop Ghostrider are we probably going to be screwed with lines for everything else by the time we get off? Keep in mind that it's a Saturday.

PS: Timber Mountain was supposed to be done with it's refurb on Saturday but it's been extended another week. At this point if it goes over it's refurb at all we'll be 0-2 on our attempts to ride it. Knott's hates me. :lol:

I would still hit up Ghostrider at opening and then head to the back of the park. If you wait to ride GR until later, you are proabably looking at a 60-90 min wait or more. It takes awhile for people to make it to the back of the park, so I would attack your day like this: GR/Xcelerator/Coast Rider/Hangtime/Pony/TMLR/Mine ride. The TMLR and Mine rides are pretty high capacity, so your waits shouldn't be bad if you save them until the afternoon.
Coaster Count: 220 Last Coaster: Red Force
Top Ten: 1) Superman The Ride 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) El Toro 6) Twisted Colossus 7) Maverick 8) Shambhala 9) Lightning Rod 10) Mako

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:52 am

Does GhostRider tend to open late or have I just been unlucky? The two times I've gone at opening have seen the ride closed for the first hour or two while they finished walking the track.

If it's open right away, definitely hit GhostRider first. That is far and away the worst queue in the park. Make sure you ride in the very back at least once.

I'd hit Pony second since it's on the way, can break down, and doesn't have the best capacity. I'd get HangTime next before most people make it back there. The only reason to hit Xcelerator first would be to avoid the queue from hell for the front row.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:31 pm

I remember way back in Sept.2016, when I attended the West Coast Bash back then, I went a day early to Knott's, but didn't ride GhostRider (until the ERT we were going to get during our " WCB Day" there) that day. However, I did note the sign at the queue entrance, stating the coaster not opening until 11 am that day.

Could be a regular scheduling thing with it, from Knott's. :?r
IMG_1983.JPG
Me and my #700. But not running till 11 am that day. Sept.09/2016.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:25 pm

VegasBaby wrote:
coasterbill wrote:Hey guys. I hate to ask one of these rope drop strategy question but I feel like I have to break down and do it in this case...

We're planning a brief trip to Southern California later this week and we'll have a few hours on Saturday morning to visit Knott's before heading to the airport. We've been there before and we hate that we need to cut it a bit short but we're doing Disney the day before and since we'll be in Anaheim in the morning with Platinum Passes and time to kill it seems like a no-brainer to pop in for a bit. We'll probably have 3-4 hours tops.

Hangtime is new for us, as is Coast Rider (yay?). More importantly, the last time we were at the park the log ride was down for it's big refurbishment so I've never been on it. We rode Calico mine ride but it's since been updated and we'd like to ride the refreshed version.

Obviously those rides are priorities as well as Xcelerator and (this is a Brit thing), Pony Express :lol: .

The dilemma is here really Ghostrider. I know that it's a capacity nightmare and while we've been on it I'd like to ride it now that it no longer sucks.

My temptation is to head right for the back of the park at opening and knock out Hangtime, Coast Rider, Xcelerator, Timber Mountain (hopefully) and Mine Ride in a big loop and I assume that if we do that we won't wait much for any of them. If we do that are we totally screwed on Ghostrider? Similarly, if we rope drop Ghostrider are we probably going to be screwed with lines for everything else by the time we get off? Keep in mind that it's a Saturday.

PS: Timber Mountain was supposed to be done with it's refurb on Saturday but it's been extended another week. At this point if it goes over it's refurb at all we'll be 0-2 on our attempts to ride it. Knott's hates me. :lol:

I would still hit up Ghostrider at opening and then head to the back of the park. If you wait to ride GR until later, you are proabably looking at a 60-90 min wait or more. It takes awhile for people to make it to the back of the park, so I would attack your day like this: GR/Xcelerator/Coast Rider/Hangtime/Pony/TMLR/Mine ride. The TMLR and Mine rides are pretty high capacity, so your waits shouldn't be bad if you save them until the afternoon.

they may also be doing the single rider line which i was told is only on the weekends. so i have no experience with it myself. maybe get a ride in right at opening, then another later if there is indeed a single rider line.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby desertflyer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:42 pm

I'm headed to Knott's Saturday. We're checking out of our hotel at Disney and then taking a Lyft up to Knott's. Is it possible to leave our luggage at the KBF Hotel? We're headed to SNA for our flight home in the evening and would like to take a Lyft directly to the airport from Knott's.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:39 pm

I'd contact the park directly to see if they're able to help. I've used hotel storage quite frequently, but only if I've actually been a guest at that hotel.

Postby bert425 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:59 am

^^ yeah, that's gonna be my suggestion too. not the hotel, but the park. I'd call the park to ask if they have any suggestions for your situation? (they might be willing to hold your bags at Guest Relations, or offer you a large storage bunny up near the front of the park). . . or point you to the Hotel.

it used to not be an issue, but in this day and age? not so sure a hotel would allow a non-staying guest to leave unattended bags.

but you are going into the park, and the hotel is associated with the park.... . . so maybe check ahead via phone to see what storage options are.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby desertflyer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:10 pm

I called the park and they said once I get to the metal detectors to make a left and take our rolling bags to the Information desk. Apparently they'll hold our luggage there. Hopefully it works out, but we'll pack light just in case. I'm glad we won't have to leave our bags at a hotel in Anaheim.

I've been to Knott's and stayed at their hotel many times (including back in the Radisson days), but the last time was many years ago.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:35 pm

That's good to know for future trips!

I Love Donkeys!

Postby yodelo » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:00 pm

Hey all! I'm planning a trip to KBF on Wednesday 2/27 and it looks like it's going to be a ghost town. Any tips on how to approach the park? Unfortunately Ghostrider is closed, so I'm thinking of hitting Xcelerator/Hangtime/Coastrider first, followed by the 2 mine rides.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!