The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 1501 - Bigfoot Rapids to become Calico River Rapids
Users viewing this topic: KnottsBerryMountain and 15 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Postby clem2754 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:28 pm

CoasterInk wrote:
firebird81 wrote:If Cedar Fair commits to annually investing in Knott's and even CGA for the next 5 years.....they could literally grow their company by leaps and bounds, giving themselves plenty of cash to invest in the other parks. Any CEO that doesn't see Knott's Berry Farm as the most obvious cash cow for Cedar Fair, probably shouldn't be running Cedar Fair.

Curious what you mean by this... Cedar Fair already invests in Knott's yearly. :?r

Also I'm pretty sure Knott's isn't the biggest cash cow. I would leave that to Kings Island, Carowinds, Cedar Point, or Canada's Wonderland (as someone pointed out above) considering they receive "More love" from Cedar Fair (ie, Big Rides, large area updates, both more frequent than Knott's). May be wrong though.
From a pure attendence stand point, Knott's is the only Cedar Fair park over 4 million visitors each year. Canada's Wonderland is second over 3.5 million. Cedar Point is approaching 3.5 million, and Kings Island is in the lower 3's. Carowinds has to be around 2.5 million. Now maybe Cedar Point has more revenue from the hotels but from a pure traffic stand point, Knott's is actually #1.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby CoasterInk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:31 pm

clem2754 wrote:
CoasterInk wrote:
firebird81 wrote:If Cedar Fair commits to annually investing in Knott's and even CGA for the next 5 years.....they could literally grow their company by leaps and bounds, giving themselves plenty of cash to invest in the other parks. Any CEO that doesn't see Knott's Berry Farm as the most obvious cash cow for Cedar Fair, probably shouldn't be running Cedar Fair.

Curious what you mean by this... Cedar Fair already invests in Knott's yearly. :?r

Also I'm pretty sure Knott's isn't the biggest cash cow. I would leave that to Kings Island, Carowinds, Cedar Point, or Canada's Wonderland (as someone pointed out above) considering they receive "More love" from Cedar Fair (ie, Big Rides, large area updates, both more frequent than Knott's). May be wrong though.
From a pure attendence stand point, Knott's is the only Cedar Fair park over 4 million visitors each year. Canada's Wonderland is second over 3.5 million. Cedar Point is approaching 3.5 million, and Kings Island is in the lower 3's. Carowinds has to be around 2.5 million. Now maybe Cedar Point has more revenue from the hotels but from a pure traffic stand point, Knott's is actually #1.

Totally agree with you that Knott's has the highest attendance, but in terms of who has the biggest potential for the company at the moment, I'd put my money on KI, CP, CA, and CW.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby CP Maverick » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:43 pm

I think the point being missed is that CP, KI, and CW are all 4-month(+) parks, while Knott's is a 12-month park. So while it has the highest attendance, it also has many year-round operating costs that those other parks do not have.
Original Maverick '99

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:48 pm

CP Maverick wrote:I think the point being missed is that CP, KI, and CW are all 4-month(+) parks, while Knott's is a 12-month park. So while it has the highest attendance, it also has many year-round operating costs that those other parks do not have.

it would be interesting to see the costs. a park like CP is what, 3-4 times the size of knott's. so i'm sure CP's costs are incredibly high during the season. 2x, 3x more than knott's? so i honestly am not sure how different their yearly costs really are or not.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:11 pm

jtaudioacc wrote:
CP Maverick wrote:I think the point being missed is that CP, KI, and CW are all 4-month(+) parks, while Knott's is a 12-month park. So while it has the highest attendance, it also has many year-round operating costs that those other parks do not have.

it would be interesting to see the costs. a park like CP is what, 3-4 times the size of knott's. so i'm sure CP's costs are incredibly high during the season. 2x, 3x more than knott's? so i honestly am not sure how different their yearly costs really are or not.

And don't forget that just because a park like Cedar Point doesn't operate for 6 months of the year doesn't mean they are sitting back and relaxing all winter. I'm sure maintaining all 398573945 of their roller coasters cannot be cheap.
Steel: 161 / Wood: 32 / Total: 193
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby clem2754 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:40 pm

KI operates through Christmas. They have a holiday operations for Christmas and Halloween. CP has it for Halloween. Carowinds is similar to KI. Bot sure about Canada's Wonderland if they operate during Halloween, Not sure how many visitors Knott's is getting in the fall/winter during the week.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Freestyle23 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:25 am

What are the estimated line waits for Monday, June the 18th?

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby firebird81 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:47 am

Freestyle23 wrote:What are the estimated line waits for Monday, June the 18th?

Don't know about teh 18th, but the past two weeks have seen weekdays very busy with middle school students on their 8th grade graduation trips, it seems. Lotta line cutting, flirting teenagers, loud rap music on iphones in line.... On the bright side, yesterday both Ghostrider and HAngtime were really tackling their operations issues. Hangtime was actually sending out a train as soon as one came in.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby AdventuresinAirtime » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:27 am

So, my thoughts after my first visit ever to Knotts...

Overall a nice park, but found the clientele to be the most queue-jumpy and rude out of all the SoCal parks we visited.
Every queue had big groups of 8+ people pushing through, as well as constantly being hit by people behind us/infront of us just walking into us or turning and hitting us with their backpacks... tiring on a hot day

Found SIlver Bullet to be quite average, HangTime feels a lot more refined but a lot less intense than some of the other Gerstlaurers i've been on like Saw: The Ride, The Smiler and Takabisha.

I really enjoyed Timber Mountain and the Calico Mine Train ride and the fullsize steam train. It was unique for me to ride the triple S&S tower, in the UK we had a double-shot, shot towers and we have a combo tower - but i've never ridden an S&S drop-only tower (Cliffhanger, our Combo Tower does a shot sequence followed by the drop sequence rather than going straight to the top and dropping)

I really enjoyed Xcelerator, however running on 1 train made the queue pretty slow. Montezooma's Revenge was nice and intense, and I found Ghost Rider to be a really excellent woodie, but the queueline was pretty horrendous - they were keeping most of the queue in switchbacks in the big enclosed room below, rather than the airy station.

Had a good day but the excessive queuejumping and slow operations dampened our spirits a bit.
Adventures in Airtime Theme Park Podcast:
www.adventuresinairtime.com

Adventures in Airtime on YouTube:

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Condor » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:41 am

^I agree with all of that. Ghostrider, Xcelerator, and Montezooma are the standouts, Hangtime and Silver Bullet are fun enough but not great. I was there yesterday myself and even with Knott's as my home park, I don't think I've ever seen the line jumping so bad, and it's often pretty bad. Sometimes it seems the typical guest M.O. for Ghostrider's queue is for 1-2 people per group to remain in line while the rest make use of the numerous entrances/exits to come and go as they please until they board the train.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!