The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:48 pm

Paradox wrote:
MisterP wrote:This restoration is great news.

I think a large wildfire that burned it to the ground would have been better news, so they could build an actual coaster that doesn't want to make me kill myself.

But if they can actually make it decent, I'm all for it!

It wasn't that bad before, in no way did the ride make me want to kill myself.

Before when? 2004? Yeah, it wasn't that bad before then. After that, though, it was terrible. So far from these photos I'm seeing that the ride just looks like it's getting a re-tracking. I really hope that does actually help it out, although I'm worried for "how long" will it stay good for?

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:42 pm

robbalvey wrote:
Paradox wrote:

I think a large wildfire that burned it to the ground would have been better news, so they could build an actual coaster that doesn't want to make me kill myself.

Before when? 2004? Yeah, it wasn't that bad before then. After that, though, it was terrible. So far from these photos I'm seeing that the ride just looks like it's getting a re-tracking. I really hope that does actually help it out, although I'm worried for "how long" will it stay good for?

I'm worried as well. But if the rumor of new trains is true, we may have hope yet!
Chasing Airtime
Steel Vengeance|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Hakugei|Skyrush
Lightning Rod|T Express|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Gnome » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:40 pm

chickenbowl wrote:
robbalvey wrote:
Paradox wrote:

I'm worried as well. But if the rumor of new trains is true, we may have hope yet!

I'm not sure what flyers will do, though, if they don't regularly maintain the track the way parks like Silverwood or Holiday World maintain their coasters. Look at how Apocalypse runs these days.

My hope is that the re-tracking project is just the first sign of a long and continued effort to maintain the ride as it should have always been to begin with.

Also, I feel it is my obligation to say that GR isn't THAT bad if you had rode it shortly after minor refurbishments. Wait too long after, it certainly can become push the limit of what many people would consider to be "fun".
Don't worry, it's an emergency! I'm Chuck Norris

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RollerManic » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:10 pm

American Thunder runs at SFStL pretty well. It can't compare to year-round parks, but it's older than Apocalypse if that means anything!

Ps: dont even think about cubs thunder

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby VegasBaby » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:27 am

RollerManic wrote:American Thunder runs at SFStL pretty well. It can't compare to year-round parks, but it's older than Apocalypse if that means anything!

American Thunder was our favorite ride at SFStl (along with Mr. Freeze) when we visited the park last summer. It had some great airtime and was one of the smoothest traditional woodies I've ridden. Granted it's only 7 years old but SFStl has done a great job of maintaining it. I truly hope that Knott's continues to give GhostRider the TLC it deserves in the years following this re-tracking. If that means they shut it down for 1-2 months during the during the offseason for maintenance, then that's what they should do.
Coaster Count: 220 Last Coaster: Red Force
Top Ten: 1) Superman The Ride 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) El Toro 6) Twisted Colossus 7) Maverick 8) Shambhala 9) Lightning Rod 10) Mako

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby DoubleDown » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:50 pm

I'm not one to complain about roughness on roller coasters at all (for example Viper and X2 are par for the course with roughness as far as I'm concerned as the ride experiences are based on age or the complex maneuvers they're accomplishing) but Ghostrider was hands down unbearable before it closed this past Summer. No joke, I sat in the very back seat, and as soon as we got to the bottom of the first drop I immediately was thinking to myself "My god what have I gotten myself into?" It was the first time in a long time where I really wished there was a stop button so I could just get off as soon as possible.

Worst is the up/down shuffling and jerking from the track moving and the space between the track and up stops. The ride was Psyclone-esque. Colossus actually had a little bit of this on the double up before the second turnaround for a couple years before it closed down. Lots of violent jerking side to side, lots of up down shuffling which does wonders for spines.

I'm glad they're retracking it, but I REALLY wish they would have hired RMC to I-beam retrack the ride to the exact same specifications of the original layout, and I think it would once again have catapulted it into one of the very top coasters out here on the West. Not complaining, glad they're atleast doing SOMETHING, but I too worry about the longevity of this re-track work, and how long it will last.

Also crossing my fingers for new trains. Those original ones are super heavy and clunky. A nice light train will really help take some wear and tear off the structure and track. Oh, and thanks for all the photo updates, very much appreciated!

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby JeromyL » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:50 pm

We are here :) Time for the buffet and early entry for Knotts Scary Farm tonight
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/1ca0001026f6d685dfa4545ede364cfc.jpg[/img][/url]

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:58 pm

I now interrupt the Ghostrider debate to bring you an exclusive first-timer's experience with Haunt!

My friend and I had never done Scary Farm, but we came from Horror Nights the night before and met up with some Haunt veterans!

First, we did the Boofet. I was pleased to find that there were some vegetarian options and definitely better than average park food, but it wasn't that exciting for me food-wise. However, the talent walking around were HILARIOUS!! I was getting up to get a fork when a scare actor dressed as a dog came up to our table. I said, "Can you get me a fork?" and he was like, "Do I look like your dog? Get your own fork!" So I did and then when I saw him again I said, "I GOT A FORK!!" He was like, "Congratulations! You should put that on your resume! You deserve an award!" I told him I should and he left and came back with the "Official Fork Award." The rest of the dinner we goofed around and I was dying of laughter. It's things like this that sets Knott's apart from other parks (and other Haunts from what I've seen). They really develop a relationship with the guests and put in a lot of TLC and really do their best to make the guest experience as great as they can. Major props to them! The Boofet was totally worth the cost for the entertainment and for early Infected tickets!

I won't go through every maze individually since others did awesome TRs already about them but we were able to do everything once including both shows and Infected, and we ended the night with two back-to-back trips through Paranormal Inc. to try each side.

Infected... what can I say? It was absolutely AMAZING and one of the best most unique things I've ever done at an amusement park! It really felt like I was in a video game or in a real life apocalypse and it was just absolutely amazing! If you haven't done this yet, DO IT! I really hope they bring this back again next year!

The Hanging... WOW. I've never seen a show like it. It was absolutely hilarious and full of action and stunts and adult jokes ("50 Shades of Gray was the only book I've read where I didn't have to lick my finger to turn the page!"). I didn't understand all of the references but the ones I did get were hilarious! Haunt was totally worth it even just for Infected and The Hanging!

Most of the other mazes weren't that scary to me, but the level of detail in each one was amazing. There were so many things to see and I found myself taking it really slow and just looking at everything. I really thought Knott's put a lot more detail in their mazes, just a lot of TLC, whereas Horror Nights was all just crazy scares, loud noises, and theatrics. Both events were amazing in different ways, but I see why everyone loves Knott's!

The one maze that did get a lot of scares out of all of us (and hands-down the best and most theatrical this year) was Paranormal Inc! We were the last ones through that night and the scareactors were still super on their game and getting some great scares!

A few crummy videos I took:

Okay, here are some pictures that we took
12065523_10206349124261327_3926116300132214408_n.jpg
Boofet time!
IMG_2201.jpg
FORK AWARD!!
IMG_2211.jpg
This scare actor just came right up and started taking selfies on the table with me. "Work it girl, work it!"
12112251_10206349250144474_7417699938812615114_n.jpg
We're here!
12118998_10206349272265027_5616729591815398408_n.jpg
Mine train!
IMG_2212.jpg
The ambiance at night was awesome. I loved how dark and foggy it got!
IMG_2221.jpg
INFECTED!! Seriously amazing.
IMG_2226.jpg
One of the funniest scenes in The Hanging! "Whoa boy!" "Don't call her a boy!"
IMG_2220.jpg
Black Magic.
IMG_2243.jpg
VooDoo
IMG_2244.jpg
ToothFairy. Very dark maze with the graphic murders of children depicted inside.
12108278_10206350113046046_1345306446701846793_n.jpg
Elvira's Asylum! We were kinda late and got bad seats, so we couldn't really see her boobs
12108952_10206350121046246_8565388830529534694_n.jpg
This fountain was epic
IMG_2236.jpg
One of the Deadly 7. They were so cool!
12143090_10206350119246201_5383285833825153421_n.jpg
"ON YOUR KNEES!" Wrath of the Deadly 7
12074775_10203553051106600_5478689843719582301_n.jpg
PARANORMAL INC!! Best maze!
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby rolercstrluvr » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:29 pm

^ Great TR, been awhile since i've been to KSF. Sounds like it's only gotten better though, can't wait to make it back down to LA sometime for all the new stuff that i've missed.
Gold Striker Ride count: 435

Postby coasternut » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:38 pm

Had to post tonight. Drove over from Phoenix to ride today. Got to the park at 2:30, and it was empty. I got 3 immediate rides on Silver Bullet (one front row), and then moved on to my fav - Xcelerator. I got 30 on that baby before they closed at 5:30 to get ready for the Haunt. I met one of our TPR frequent posters - John Tanaka. He's a really nice guy and I enjoyed our conversations and rides on Xcelerator. I'll be back for more tomorrow and then off to Magic Mountain for the weekend. :lmao:
Coasternut,

LIVING FOR THAT AIRTIME!! :airtime:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!