Tivoli Gardens Discussion Thread

Page 16: H.C. Anderson hotel in the works
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Tivoli Gardens Discussion Thread

Postby larrygator » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:53 pm

Tivoli Gardens is planning to build the its first hotel, the 18 story hotel will be named after Hans Christian Anderson. This eco-friendly hotel will be the unique work of architect Bjarke Ingels and placed in the garden area of the park. The hotel's whimsical features are to include misaligned level and the heavy use of plants.

https://archinect.com/news/article/150142668/big-to-design-hotel-tower-in-the-center-of-a-danish-amusement-park

BIG to design hotel tower in the center of a Danish amusement park
By Shane Reiner-Roth
Jun 21, '19 3:12 PM EST

Copenhagen is the rare city that can have an amusement park at its center, complete with anatopic pagodas, paper mâché mountains and wooden rollercoasters, and still be known as a world class destination for tasteful architecture and design. Tivoli Gardens has seen the city modernize around it since it first opened in 1843, and it is soon about to see a modernization of its own.

Bjarke Ingels, the Danish architect that studied at Copenhagen's Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts (KADK) and has since built projects around the globe, revealed this week that his firm will design his second building in Copenhagen in the center of Tivoli Gardens (the first being his waste-to-energy plant). The 18-story H.C. Anderson Hotel is in many ways a playful nod to the unique conditions of the amusement park in the city center.

As Ingels stated, the design "attempted to capture and accentuate the character of the existing castle, creating a new typology inspired by Tivoli’s archetypical architecture. A hybrid between the garden’s pagodas, pavilions and towers, our proposal builds a bridge between the city’s history and present – the nearby Rundetårn and Axel Towers – as well as the city’s archive of unrealized dreams. Past, present and fantasy unified in the heart of Copenhagen.”

In addition to the bold new hotel design, Tivoli Gardens will receive a "transformation and pedestrianization of the Tivoli Garden’s main entrance by urbanists from Gehl and consists of refurbishing and re-purposing the 1893 Tivoli Castle, renovating the 1883 Panorama Pavilion and building a new 18-story pagoda."
hca night.jpg
Night time rendering of the hotel
Last edited by larrygator on Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:06 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:00 am

Cool--missed this post earlier. I think the challenge will be maintaining the park's quaint charm while modernizing it.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:10 am

Yeah, I missed this too...it's um...interesting looking!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:11 am

I think it will look fine in the area by the lake and restaurants. There are lots of trees that could obstruct many sight lines as you approach.

However, I don't like how it looks abandoned from outside the park.
HCA city.JPG
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!