Funtown Spashtown Discussion Thread

P. 4: Vertical construction on major expansion begins!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Funtown Splashtown USA Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:25 am

^ That seems like an excellent addition to their water park and I will definitely try and make it back to the park next year. Splashtown's current "speed slides" are pretty small so these two will be a great addition and easily Splashtown's most thrilling slides in my opinion. Then the mat racing slide seems great as well. I loved the one I went on at Blizzard Beach, so I am sure I will love this one as well.

I hope Theme Park Review has a great time at Funtown. Excalibur is a very good wooden coaster and basically every seat gives a great ride. The back will give major ejector air on the first two drops and really good air on two other hills, while the front has 3-4 great moments of ejector air. As others have said, Excalibur's first half is far better than it's second half since the first half is jam-packed with air time, while the second half consists of some weak laterals. And while Excalibur isn't glass smooth, it certainly isn't rough as I've marathoned it for 2 hours in a row during one of my visits when the park was empty.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:56 pm

Does anyone have any pictures or videos of Funtown's old Hydrofighter attraction? Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to visit the park before the one of a kind attraction was removed in 2000 to make way for Dragon's Descent.

The only photo I've found of this unique swinging/spinning water battle attraction was on Canobie Fan (http://s7.invisionfree.com/CanobieFans/index.php?showtopic=577). Additionally, I remember there being an excellent photo of it in an old ACE Newsletter, but I have misplaced it somewhere in my room.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:24 pm

Funtown Splashtown USA has sent us a press release regarding the start of vertical construction on their major expansion throughout the park.

New steel support columns and beams are beginning to rise at Funtown Splashtown USA as the park expands once again adding six new water slides and various other improvements throughout the park.

As a locally-owned business, the park was very conscious about hiring local contractors for as much of the work as possible. "A crew of over 60 local contractors and tradesmen have been working at the park since mid-September," said Cory Hutchinson, vice president and general manager of the company. "We made it a point to have the water slide and steel support manufacturers subcontract with local companies whenever possible".

The water slides and supports have been designed and manufactured by Whitewater West of Richmond, British Columbia, Canada and USA, Inc. of Downer's Grove, Illinois.

Engineering has been done by Oak Point Associates of Biddeford, R. W. Gillespie & Associates of Saco, Dow & Couloume of Biddeford, and International Aquatic Design of Danvers, Massachusetts.

Construction is being done by Dearborn Construction of Buxton, Jim Godbout Plumbing and Heating of Biddeford, Camille's Electric of Saco, Carl A. Goodwin, Inc. of Biddeford, McKenna Welding of Biddeford, S. Richer, Inc. of Sanford and CMC Technology Group of Hallowell.

2012 ExpansionEach of the new water slides have features that are not found at any other water park in New England. Two of the water slides are probably the most thrilling in the country. Unlike with many traditional water slides where the slider either pushes themselves or is taken by the water current, these two slides will have launch capsules.While the guest waits in the capsule the floor will drop out from under them, hurtling them down the water slides at over 40 feet per second. Each slide is made of translucent fiberglass, allowing the slider to see outside of the slide tunnel. "You could put a newspaper up to the inside of the slide and clearly read it from the outside," said Hutchinson.

The four other water slides allow for the park's guests to race each other. Guests will use special mats on these slides as they race head first to the bottom.

The new water slide tower is located at the former Kartland Picnic Area. The park will be opening a brand new restaurant and restrooms, and relocating Candy Land, the Funtoberfest Beer Garden, and two group picnic areas.

Construction is slated to be completed in late-May. The new water slides are scheduled to be ready for the public in mid-June. The public can watch the progress on the park's Facebook page where pictures are updated weekly.
100_0562.JPG
Steel and slides going up!
Steel supports and slide runouts being constructed at Funtown Splashtown USA on December 5, 2011
tn.jsp.jpg
tn.jsp.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: Funtown Spashtown Discussion Thread

Postby mrceagle » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:24 am

The Park is goign with a Greek theme for the new slide tower:

The park is also rebuilding the kiddie/umbrella pool and making git larger. To do this they removed the 2 old speed slides.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby kunpc1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:06 pm

We had a blast at this park during the 2011 Northeast trip. This will be a great addition to their water park.

Postby mrceagle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:49 am

I totally agree, they needed a few more high profile slides. and the extra lounge space is much needed. My only aggravation is that he dry park has seem very little in the last decade. basically every addition except for one was for the water park. The only dry park addition since Dragons descant in 99 was the replacement of galaxy with the mouse.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Kenneth Cormier, 80, passes
26.jpg

Saco, Maine - It is with deep sorrow that we announce the passing of Mr. Kenneth D. Cormier, the founder and president of Funtown Splashtown USA in Saco, Maine. Mr. Cormier was at Florida Hospital in Celebration, Florida, suffering from a brief illness. He was surrounded by family.

A formal obituary and memorial service arrangements will be announced soon. The family is requesting privacy at this time.

Postby mrceagle » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:08 pm

It was very Saddening to hear of this news. He was a very good name and a pleasure to talk with.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby ScreaminNewEngland » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:56 pm

Awesome video of the park! Really shows the charm well.
Yankee Cannonball <3

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:20 pm

Funtown offered back boards that you would strap to your back on their body slides. I thought that was pretty cool! Their drop pod slide was pretty rough on the back, so it was awesome they had them available for free. It also made it so guys could wear a shirt on the body slides too.

Do any other parks offer these boards?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!