Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

P. 675 - Dare Devil Dive Flying Machines for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

Postby djcoastermark » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:47 pm

We went back on Saturday with a stop at the Alamo first. It only took an hour and 15 to get there.
Got to the park a bit before the 5pm opening again, but there was a private party going on earlier that day and the park was already packed. Still we got on Bugs again, ( Love this flume) Road Runner, and Batman with very short waits. We did use our single flash pass for a night ride on Iron Rattler. OMG, that thing is insane in the complete darkness.
Overall, we were quite impressed with the level of theming of the park AND how freshly washed and freshly painted everything looked.
Our only regret is that we didn't get to ride Joker, as the line was waayyy into the temporary queue they had set up. Wasn't going to wait 2 hours. Next time tough.
We are going to keep an eye out for another $14.50 flight deal to go back.
Thanks Bert for all your good advice.
PS- Iron Bear on Saturday night was a blast. It was Singlet night. Need I say more ?
20190914_145835.jpg
Alamo
20190914_181048.jpg
Next time.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:52 pm

^ heh. . I'm too fast for ya.

glad you made the trip back. . and for sure we'll visit when in Tampa next :)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:01 pm

^ Had a great time. Ran out of time for ZDT's. Next time, as we will definitely be coming back. Great meeting up with you and hopefully we can get to meet Nick too. Let us know when your in our neck of the palm trees.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Bamwa » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:39 pm

Ok Bert, Next time you drive. My buddy took us non 35 route on Sun June 23 and it took from 10:30 and we were there around 1. That night google was saying 3 hrs but there were traffic jams in NewB and SanM. About scenic Over Georgia is really nice also with hills and giant pine trees. Great Adventure is out in the middle of nowhere and surrounded by river and forest.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:53 pm

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I actually think Great Adventure and Magic Mountain are both quite scenic. Fiesta Texas has awesome theming, and certainly beats both those parks on that aspect. But go to Magic Mountain, go up the hill to where Ninja is and take a look around at the desert below you. It's incredible. Likewise the lakefront at Great Adventure is so beautiful and really relaxing. Those parks have their flaws, sure, and Fiesta Texas is still the best in the chain, but a lot of Six Flags parks are in really special locations with great natural beauty.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:04 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Might be an unpopular opinion, but I actually think Great Adventure and Magic Mountain are both quite scenic.

I totally agree. The SFMM thread is so rife with moaning that I think that's why it might feel like it's an unpopular opinion. I think SFMM is one of the best-looking parks in the chain with (gasp!) some of the best operations in the chain as well! I need to get back to Fiesta a few more times to really take the place in as I left feeling a bit tepid about its scenery and design. It was pretty packed when I was there as well, but I gave Over Texas the edge in terms of the way the place looked as well as in terms of its ride selection. I agree with Bert's claim earlier that Fiesta would benefit from a classic-style wooden coaster of some kind (that's not a pulverizing RMC), and I wonder how a modernized old-school out-and-back might sit over in that boardwalk area?

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Bamwa » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:07 pm

Ok Bert, Next time you drive. My buddy took us non 35 route on Sun June 23 and it took from 10:30 and we were there around 1. That night google was saying 3 hrs on 35 but there were traffic jams in NewB and SanM. About scenic Over Georgia is really nice also with hills and giant pine trees. Great Adventure is out in the middle of nowhere and surrounded by river and forest. Some background here, I'm from Ohio and grew up going to Cedar Point. People actually walk around with brooms and pans and you dont see as much as a cigarette butt(surprisingly saw that too as SFGA). Very Disney like.

After moving to Texas and seeing AstroWorld and Fiesta and more recently Over Texas they are dumps. Litter around and under coasters, against fences, all over the park. Grease traps and dumpsters visible and reeking from Superman line. Ceiling tiles in the restaurants stained and falling apart from roof leaks at the beer joint. AstroWorld had tools and grease and rags just laying all over on the brake runs. Fiesta had orange extension cords draped across the midway, rundown entrance gate and buildings. I have a whole folder of pics if you want to see them all, but way sub par. Sidewalks look like they have never been power washed with gum spots everywhere. Dallas was even worse and looks like it hasn't been cleaned or repainted since 1969.

I could have overlooked some of this dump had my friend not been double charged for dinner then couldn't get a hold of an actual person on the other end of the phone for several days. On top of that he got wicked food poisoning there and they had to comp him 4 day passes since he missed work for several days. If you can't see how ugly and run down both Texas Six Flags are I both feel sorry AND envy you. Again, this is coming from a Cedar Point Fanboy.

NOW for the other side of the coin.........SFFT is my home park. I dig Jeff Seibert's presence on Texas Thrill Seekers and yes, I am glad that they choose to spend their money on rides verses upkeep. We are stoked to have many firsts, the s&s freespin, the first raptor, and the new Frisbee. Pirates underwhelmed me however after thinking it would be like JLeague in Georgia. Fog, 3d glasses, motion props such as fire and rolling barrels. I was blown away and hope the one in Dallas is as good. The gold season pass is money as it's let me hit SFOG, SFNE, SFGAD, and I plan on Magic Mountain before years end.

SFOT is stuck in the 1960's, La Vibora/Tea Cups/Sombrero (borderline racist?), needs to burn to the ground still but I really like the back row on Freeze. Titan, Shockwave, and NTAG are ok but nothing special, and none of the flat rides really do it for me except for Diablo and The Frisbee. Worth the gas money and a day every other year but not much more. I did notice the same run downness there as Fiesta however. It is clear SF puts the $$$$ in Great Adventure for great rides and upkeep vs it's Texas parks. Won't even start on AstroWorld even tho I loved the SWAT and wish that got relocated to Fiesta. It's the best flat ride ever, IMO. In conclusion, I truly believe Jeff Seibert is great for the park and I am proud to tell others it's my homepark but it still has a long, long, long, way to go to be the best looking in the chain of the four SF I've been to. I would prob say Great Adventure and Over Georgia are the best kept then Fiesta then Over Texas. I mean the quarry wall is cool and good for drops but the park is still surrounded by a shopping center on all sides. Other park chains will at least hide the dumpsters and grease traps behind a nice landscaped fence. Cheers.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby southpuddle » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:27 pm

You know SF Astroworld has been closed since 2005 right?

Postby bert425 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:31 pm

^^ so you didn't take I35 (basically, as I surmised, a shortcut that wasn't really a shortcut).

next time just take I35, it's only slow at the merge points.

and if you really feel that you just CANT do I35, Mopac to the new SH45 toll road, which will bring you to 1626, and you can take 1626 almost all the way to Buda (coming out near Cabela's). . . saves you from all that S. Austin traffic.

you're certainly entitled to your opinion, tho I completely disagree. You had one bad experience and it appears to be coloring your view of the park.

tho bringing up Astroworld (which I grew up with, and yes, that was a pretty shithole park) isn't really helping any kind of argument you're making, other than showing you can hold a grudge ?? It closed 14 years ago.

you're welcome to your own opinion on SFFT, although I disagree greatly with you. I do hope you realize you're in the minority on this tho?
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:04 pm

Great Adventure is my home park, and though I do think it had some really scenic areas, Fiesta Texas blows it out of the water. Fiesta Texas may not be perfect, but the quarry setting, Rockville, Crackaxle Canyon, and the front section of the park are all gorgeous. Never seen anything like that at a Six Flags park.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!