Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

P. 675 - Dare Devil Dive Flying Machines for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Fiesta Texas (SFFT) Discussion Thread

Postby bert425 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:29 am

oh, and Arthur - I'd highly recommend on your return visit to give these flats a shot:

Hustler - it looks like teacups, but it's such a strange and wonderful experience to be inside the ball and spinning. one of our faves in the park.

Spinsanity - this next gen version of Tilt-A-Whirl spins so dang much (tho it doesn't look it from walking by), that we only ride it every few visits. . . and always BEFORE eating.

Wave Runner - this sizzler on the boardwalk was shut down for many, many months. . . if it was a motor issue? they are taking full advantage of the fix, as it runs a really intense program. Among the best programs of any SF park I've been at (the only one that even comes close to me, is the program they run at SFA).

Bugs Bunny WhiteWater Rapids - the queue has been sadly lacking characters for a while, and the spitting dragon on the ride itself is hit or miss as to if it's working. . but this is a wonderful log flume, that goes up and above Spassburg. it's always worth the wait (if the line isn't spilling out into the walkway in front of the ride, as that means the queue is completely full and is a 2 hour wait).

I also really like "Pirates of the Deep Sea" - a well themed shooter tucked away, way back in the corner of the boardwalk behind WaveRunner & the Ferris Wheel. it's not "exciting" but it is a very pleasant "take a break" ride, and very well done for a Six Flags. and because it's tucked back there? it never has much of a line, even tho it's the new ride from 2019. . folks just don't know it's there! (don't be discouraged if the line is outside. .the hold the queue there for Flash Pass. . typically the entire indoor queue is empty and they are just holding the line outside)

ETA: if you ride Skyscreamer in the Summer months, or early evening - when the Hawks are out? it's even better.
there are several Hawk nests up there on the Quarry Wall, and to be circling above them as they fly? is just awesome.

(and of course, I love the SFFT Carousel. . it's restored beautifully. . .tho I don't love the location it's in now. But I'm just glad to have it back (it most recently used to be where the entry plaza to Wonder Woman is, so when they started building that? the Carousel went into refurb and was out of the picture for almost a year!)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:19 am

bert425 wrote:oh, and Arthur - I'd highly recommend on your return visit to give these flats a shot:

Hustler - it looks like teacups, but it's such a strange and wonderful experience to be inside the ball and spinning. one of our faves in the park.

Spinsanity - this next gen version of Tilt-A-Whirl spins so dang much (tho it doesn't look it from walking by), that we only ride it every few visits. . . and always BEFORE eating.

Wave Runner - this sizzler on the boardwalk was shut down for many, many months. . . if it was a motor issue? they are taking full advantage of the fix, as it runs a really intense program. Among the best programs of any SF park I've been at (the only one that even comes close to me, is the program they run at SFA).

Bugs Bunny WhiteWater Rapids - the queue has been sadly lacking characters for a while, and the spitting dragon on the ride itself is hit or miss as to if it's working. . but this is a wonderful log flume, that goes up and above Spassburg. it's always worth the wait (if the line isn't spilling out into the walkway in front of the ride, as that means the queue is completely full and is a 2 hour wait).

I also really like "Pirates of the Deep Sea" - a well themed shooter tucked away, way back in the corner of the boardwalk behind WaveRunner & the Ferris Wheel. it's not "exciting" but it is a very pleasant "take a break" ride, and very well done for a Six Flags. and because it's tucked back there? it never has much of a line, even tho it's the new ride from 2019. . folks just don't know it's there! (don't be discouraged if the line is outside. .the hold the queue there for Flash Pass. . typically the entire indoor queue is empty and they are just holding the line outside)

ETA: if you ride Skyscreamer in the Summer months, or early evening - when the Hawks are out? it's even better.
there are several Hawk nests up there on the Quarry Wall, and to be circling above them as they fly? is just awesome.

(and of course, I love the SFFT Carousel. . it's restored beautifully. . .tho I don't love the location it's in now. But I'm just glad to have it back (it most recently used to be where the entry plaza to Wonder Woman is, so when they started building that? the Carousel went into refurb and was out of the picture for almost a year!)

I'll definitely give those a try and I'm going to try to get back down there either this weekend or next. It's shame that the hours are so heavily restricted right now otherwise I'd be down there during the week. Spinsanity looked like an old Waltzer ride from the UK — like a more-intense tilt-a-whirl. I'm not a big fan of twisters (I don't think I've ever been on the Magic Mountain or the Knotts one), but I'll give it a shot next time I'm there. In general, super-spinny flats are once-and-done for me, and I've ridden models like them at some point or other in the past. Even though I didn't ride it (as I know the ride well from riding Crazanity), Joker was such a cool-looking install — perfectly placed with amazing lighting.

I did ride the Pirate ride and dug it. Like the Justice League rides, it's not something I'd ride again but it was fun to see. I'm a sucker for old-school dark rides, so I actually preferred it to the various Justice League installations. That whole area looked beautiful at night.

And yes, the water ride was the one ride I didn't make it onto this time even though I really wanted to. Next time, for sure. I think that a return visit for me will most likely involve marathoning iRat (amazing ride), Road Runner (excellent), Poltergeist (if the ops improve), and Superman (a solid B&M). I need to figure out when the best times to visit are and I'm hoping to hit up the Halloween stuff at some point as well.

Thanks for the tips!

Postby bert425 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:27 am

^ we'll be there Sat afternoon (likely between 1-4 pm or so). . we have to go activate our 2020 passes.

ping me via IM if you're gonna be there, we can meet up and say "hi" !

as to the hours? yeah, very light right now, but at least it's now a year round park, so it IS open every weekend (at minimum). . they'll go back to daily operations here and there in Oct (fright fest) and Nov/Dec (Holiday in the Park)

ETA. . the ops on Poltergeist will *never* improve. Those restraints are so funky, it always takes them that long to load (and there are always those that have to walk from the train). They don't often run two trains, since the 1st gets stuck on the brake run in the sun while they are attempting to load the 2nd. . but maybe in the cooler months they will start back with 2 train ops more frequently. :p

and Joker is worth waiting in line for, simply for that Funhouse in the queue. it really is amazing (and Joker is a bit taller than Crazanity. . it and WonderWoman Golden Lasso are the tallest in the USA).

as to best times to visit? Sunday mornings.
Texas loves their Church. . so if only open on weekends? anytime between open and ~2pm is nice and slow.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:39 am

bert425 wrote:ETA. . the ops on Poltergeist will *never* improve. Those restraints are so funky, it always takes them that long to load (and there are always those that have to walk from the train). They don't often run two trains, since the 1st gets stuck on the brake run in the sun while they are attempting to load the 2nd. . but maybe in the cooler months they will start back with 2 train ops more frequently. :p

Yeah, it was running two trains when I visited a few weeks ago and the train did indeed sit on the brake run for 5+ minutes. The walks of shame on that ride are something else but I can see why given the awkward restraints. It's a ride that I think I'd come to like more once I get a better feel for the layout and the moves it makes.

Thanks again for the tips, and a Sunday morning sounds good to me!

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Bamwa » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:00 pm

Chiming in with some reality. 1. With traffic these days, it takes 2.5 hrs from Austin to Fiesta for me even on a Sunday. Lets not get people's hopes up. 2. Justice League in ATL was an impressive 10/10, Pirates was a 0/10 for me. 3. As I just got back from Great Adventure, Fiesta is not the most scenic park in the chain. The quarry wall is nice but I still see plenty of litter and chipping paint everywhere. Could use a powerwasher on all paths big time. Besides that, above average park but could use an El Toro or Kingda Ka clone :) Jeff you reading this?

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:16 pm

Seconded on Pirates of the Deep Sea. I had no idea that ride even existed, we just stumbled upon it as we were leaving the area. It is fantastic. Do not miss this ride.

Postby bert425 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:36 pm

Jeffrey Siebert just posted to FB some additional theming added across from Joker (in front of SuperVillian Swing)

I'll be there on Sat, and will get my own pic to give to Larry for the TPR pages, but in the meantime? looks fantastic.

Postby bert425 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:46 pm

Bamwa wrote:Chiming in with some reality. 1. With traffic these days, it takes 2.5 hrs from Austin to Fiesta for me even on a Sunday. Lets not get people's hopes up. 2. Justice League in ATL was an impressive 10/10, Pirates was a 0/10 for me. 3. As I just got back from Great Adventure, Fiesta is not the most scenic park in the chain. The quarry wall is nice but I still see plenty of litter and chipping paint everywhere. Could use a powerwasher on all paths big time. Besides that, above average park but could use an El Toro or Kingda Ka clone :) Jeff you reading this?

Let's put some reality on your "reality":

1) I've lived in Austin for over 30+ years, and in Cedar Park (ie: far NORTH Austin) for 15 of those. It takes me exactly one hour and 30 minutes from my house to get to SFFT parking lot.

on a light traffic day, can make it in 1:15, and on a busy traffic day, it most certainly can take ~2 hours. But it NEVER takes 2 1/2.

if it is taking you 2 1/2 hours to get to SFFT from Austin? you simply do not know how to drive, or you're taking some "shortcut" thru hill Country that isn't really a shortcut.

From downtown Austin, it takes about an hour & 10 minutes. DJCoasterMark and his spouse were just in Austin (I met them last Thurs for lunch) and they went to Fiesta both Friday AND again on Sat, from where they were staying in downtown Austin. it did *not* take them anywhere near 2 1/2 hours to get there.

2) JL is a high tech dark shooting ride with screens and technologically advanced vehicles.
Pirates of the Deep Sea is an old school dark ride, that was a conversion of Scooby Doo Ghostblasters - re-done entirely in house.

your likes/dislikes are your own, but there is simply no comparison between the two rides - other than they are both shooting rides at Six Flags parks.

3) again, your opinion is your own, but completely disagree with you. (and find it hysterical you think Great Adventure is a prettier park than several other options in the chain). SFFT is top 2, in the chain, but I'd have no issue calling it the nicest park it the chain. And hell no to an El Toro or a Kinda Ka. . .you clearly don't understand the charm of this smaller SF park.

We do sorely need a woodie, and hopefully we'll eventually get an out and back that goes along the quarry behind the boardwalk. but extreme coaster? nope. . if I want that, I'll go to another park in the chain.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:34 pm

20190914_184438.jpg
The Falls. It is a pretty park.
1568680373257.jpg
Bert playing peek-a-boo
Just verifying what Bert says about getting to, and the park. We took a quicky $14. 50 flight on Frontier from Tampa. (CoasterBill would be proud) for a long weekend.
Met up with Bert for dinner on Thursday at Baby A's. Dear gawd those margaritas. Everclear? Oy !
Drove to Fiesta from just outside of downtown Austin on a friday during rush hour. But first, hit up Barton Springs in Austin. So nice.
Left at 3:20 and still made it to the park before the 5pm opening. It was Bring a Friend Free day but did not get busy until after 7 pm. First ride up was, and a surprise, Road Runner. So much fun. Rode it twice. Next of course was Iron Rattler. OMG, Loved it. Then hit up Bugs Bunny's log flume as it had just opened and had no line at all. I will say, the dragon was working a bit too well. It sprayed me the entire time we were in the loop of it. The dang thing followed me in the boat and I was quite wet.
The park started getting crowded with BAFF and opening night for the Haunts. Got a ride on Hustler (per Bert's recommendation) and had a blast. Didn't get on everything but El Hubcap agreed to come back the next day.
20190912_172111.jpg
Oh larwdy, even more.
20190913_124745.jpg
Barton Springs is huge, and deep, and cold for us Floridians.

Postby bert425 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:39 pm

^ but it's always the same Temp. . if it's 110 out, or 50's out, the water is always the same :)

Had such a wonderful time meeting y'all, hope you do a trip report on Fiesta (and how your Sat went). . did you do ZDTs? or the Riverwalk while killing time till open on Sat?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!