Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Vortex Being Removed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:43 pm

There is no mid-course break run on Fury. I am confused how we are comparing Orion to Fury "up until the MCBR." Fury is non-stop from the lift to the final brakes!
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby chschris1 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:05 pm

^^ You are right. I think we are referring to the mid course trim. lol

Postby prozach626 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:16 am

chschris1 wrote:I think there are actually quite a lot more "enthusiasts" out there than people think.

No. There aren't. Even then, the financial relevance is the overwhelming percentage of the general public to enthusiasts. Enthusiasts aren't the bread and butter.

Also, Pro tip: Visit a park before having such a strong opinion about their brand new extremely expensive roller coaster. Diamondback vs. Orion: You're comparing one coaster you've never ridden to another coaster that hasn't been constructed.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby bill_s » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:20 am

There are a lot of enthusiasts in the sense they'll travel a bit to ride a gigacoaster in a good park. Not so many that will make a trip specifically because the new coaster beats a sort-of record by 1 foot or so.

I think classifying a coaster due to the drop height is less a cheat than claiming a height when the whole coaster is elevated. E.g. Big Apple isn't really a hyper. But still Magnum is hyper despite the drop being less than 200 feet, partially because they still pushed themselves.

Fury isn't nonstop because there's the MCBR itself. The last hills are good but still feel a little tacked on.

Postby chschris1 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:28 am

prozach626 wrote:
chschris1 wrote:I think there are actually quite a lot more "enthusiasts" out there than people think.

No. There aren't. Even then, the financial relevance is the overwhelming percentage of the general public to enthusiasts. Enthusiasts aren't the bread and butter.

Also, Pro tip: Visit a park before having such a strong opinion about their brand new extremely expensive roller coaster. Diamondback vs. Orion: You're comparing one coaster you've never ridden to another coaster that hasn't been constructed.

Thanks for the PRO tip! :lmao:

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby KIEnthusiast » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:35 am

Steel Vengeance was built for enthusiasts and every enthusiast in the whole world went to Cedar Point last year to ride it. Yet 2018 still ended up being one of the lowest-attended years in the history of Cedar Point. Kings Island even had a higher 2018 attendance after adding nothing significant. Coaster enthusiasts make up a very insignificant minority. If they were the majority, Cedar Point would have had a record-breaking year. Instead, it was the complete opposite.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:05 pm

chschris1 wrote:
prozach626 wrote:

He's a pro, it's true!

Comparing two coasters you haven't ridden in a park you've never been to is accepted in YouTube comments, though. Widely accepted.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:07 pm

pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:
chschris1 wrote:I am in the camp that thinks that adding 13 more feet would have been advantageous for the park. Oh well, i'm sure it will be a hit for the park no matter what.

But would it have been advantageous for the chain? Remember that Cedar Fair isn't trying to make KI a destination park; it's doing just fine by drawing in locals. Remember, there's a 310 foot tall coaster 4 hours north...

Who says KI isn't a destination park? I mean it's not CP but I would still consider it a destination park compared to a lot of others in the CF chain.
bill_s wrote:There are a lot of enthusiasts in the sense they'll travel a bit to ride a gigacoaster in a good park. Not so many that will make a trip specifically because the new coaster beats a sort-of record by 1 foot or so.

I don't think non-enthusiasts/GP/whatever you want to call those people who don't care enough to spend their time arguing on an online forum about a ride that hasn't been built yet plan massive trips for one new coaster. Moreso I think nonenthusiasts would add a theme park to an already-planned trip if it looks interesting enough to spend the time and money doing that than doing something else in the area. KI is big enough and Cincy is boring enough that people will visit it regardless of 13 extra feet of coaster. They'll pass a billboard on the freeway and be like, "Hey, we should go there." And there are locals who will still get a pass and visit no matter what.

I think the "problem" isn't that it's a rule-bending Giga or whatever but that people think the park is basically just putting in another version of Diamondback. I've already had several conversations with my nonenthusiast but coaster-liking friend who doesn't understand why KI is putting in a new coaster that looks just like Diamondback to her.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby chschris1 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:19 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:
chschris1 wrote:
prozach626 wrote:

He's a pro, it's true!

Comparing two coasters you haven't ridden in a park you've never been to is accepted in YouTube comments, though. Widely accepted.

Thanks! :airtime:

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby pǝʇɹǝʌuı » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:28 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:
pǝʇɹǝʌuı wrote:
chschris1 wrote:I am in the camp that thinks that adding 13 more feet would have been advantageous for the park. Oh well, i'm sure it will be a hit for the park no matter what.

But would it have been advantageous for the chain? Remember that Cedar Fair isn't trying to make KI a destination park; it's doing just fine by drawing in locals. Remember, there's a 310 foot tall coaster 4 hours north...

Who says KI isn't a destination park? I mean it's not CP but I would still consider it a destination park compared to a lot of others in the CF chain.

That's fair, I'm sure it's a destination for some. My point was that Cedar Fair is probably trying to keep Kings Island in a tier below Cedar Point. It makes sense to someone from Columbus like myself. Almost all of my friends from Columbus prefer CP to KI, although that might change with Orion being built. But I do admit I have a weird bias as my hometown is almost exactly in the middle of the two.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!