Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 1814 - Orion Giga Coaster Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby Intamin_coyote » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:10 pm

Both Banshee and Mystic Timbers had public announcements, after park close. I'm pretty sure DB and every other ride in CF ownership has had public announcements as well. This will likely be the same.

PKI Jizzman wrote:It's because everyone already knows. Everyone.

Right. But I still having a teaser campaign would help add to the excitement, and get even more people talking. Yes, mostly everyone knows, but I'm sure there are still plenty that don't.

Its just kinda lazy imo. We already know whats coming to BGW but thats not stopping them from doing a formal teaser campaign.

Simply put. With KI's history of teasing rides so well, I'm surprised that they've taken this "nothing to see here" approach that they have.

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Intamin_coyote wrote:I'm pretty sure DB and every other ride in CF ownership has had public announcements as well.

Not at Carowinds. They have taken place on days the park has been closed to the public. or either they just announce via social media like they did with camp snoopy.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby southpuddle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:48 pm

If I were a park and enthusiasts ruined all the excitement by snooping and taking pictures of blueprints, I would forego any teasers too, just as an FU. I hope they don’t even make an announcement and just open the damn thing with zero fanfare and let enthusiasts lose their GD minds for the next eight months.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:56 pm

^I can get on board with that idea. Kind of like the first year of construction of Steel Vengeance!

For what it's worth, I love when parks start constructing coasters without announcing them. Not knowing the layout and watching it unfold element-by-element is way more exciting. If you have some super detailed, high-quality animation of the entire coaster (like Cedar Fair usually does), it does make the construction progress a little less interesting since you already know exactly what's coming.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Intamin_coyote » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:27 pm

jarmor wrote:Not at Carowinds. They have taken place on days the park has been closed to the public. or either they just announce via social media like they did with camp snoopy.

Sorry. Meant for their ownership of KI at least (as that is home park, can't speak on how other CF parks typically do theirs).

southpuddle wrote:If I were a park and enthusiasts ruined all the excitement by snooping and taking pictures of blueprints, I would forego any teasers too, just as an FU.

Considering its the age of the internet, I wouldn't say the park really has a right to be mad or even surprised that it got let out of the bag this early on. This happens for seemingly every major coaster nowadways, and I think they've been getting found out earlier and earlier each time simply because enthusiasts know where to look.

And yes, I understand that many long for the days of being completely unknowing of what is to come before an announcement, but this is just the way things are now.

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:58 pm

From my understanding, the parks don't really care about things like leaks and chatter on the internet. It's all buzz that works in the parks favor as we never really get everything right anyway until they announce it.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby fyrfyter33 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:01 pm

southpuddle wrote:If I were a park and enthusiasts ruined all the excitement by snooping and taking pictures of blueprints, I would forego any teasers too, just as an FU. I hope they don’t even make an announcement and just open the damn thing with zero fanfare and let enthusiasts lose their GD minds for the next eight months.

We won’t lose our minds. We will all be able to see it. Kings Island is in a poor location to hide anything. It’s not secluded by any stretch of the imagination.

We also have this horrible thing called winter, where cold, rain, snow and ice are the norm. It becomes more difficult to get quality concrete in the ground and tough to get projects to go vertical with any speed, since the conditions are an unknown. If they want it open in May 2020, vertical construction will have to start sooner rather than later. Each year it feels like we are into May before winter temps leave and into June before real warmth comes. Cincinnati is starting to seriously lack a Spring and Fall anymore.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Vonni » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:44 pm

Holiday World did a fantastic job of keeping Thunderbird completely under wraps until the announcement. I have no idea how they managed it!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby KIEnthusiast » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:20 am

southpuddle wrote:If I were a park and enthusiasts ruined all the excitement by snooping and taking pictures of blueprints, I would forego any teasers too, just as an FU. I hope they don’t even make an announcement and just open the damn thing with zero fanfare and let enthusiasts lose their GD minds for the next eight months.

Nobody was “snooping.” It’s all public record. Kings Island knows exactly what they are doing when they file those blueprints. Besides, the park is LEGALLY REQUIRED to file those blueprints. Go yell at the politicians who made the FOIA if you are really so upset about this.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby mikeykaise » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:49 am

KIEnthusiast wrote:

Nobody was “snooping.” It’s all public record. Kings Island knows exactly what they are doing when they file those blueprints. Besides, the park is LEGALLY REQUIRED to file those blueprints. Go yell at the politicians who made the FOIA if you are really so upset about this.

Agreed, when there's a filing for a local government permit like in this case then the documents become a part of the open records law this is how the media is able to get information for news stories and the general public can also request access to anything covered by the open records laws.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!