Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 1814 - Orion Giga Coaster Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 26 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:29 am

KIEnthusiast wrote:I believe the facades will probably go back to the more authentically European 1972 look with browns and yellows. I hate the horrid, bright colors they have now.

Oh cool, there's a new episode out:

Postby Vonni » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:34 am

I don't find it to be ugly, but I don't feel like it would fit KI either.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:42 am

In other news, this fake giga video has now been shared on Facebook 34,000 times and a different friend from home texts me nearly every day asking if I’ve heard about Kings Island’s new roller coaster...
9CCD2164-C60E-4740-A4E0-7F6EF25CA777.png
Last edited by DBru on Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:53 pm.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Taylor Finn » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:39 am

I expect to be back at the park again this year. My friend works for P&G and they rent out the park one of the weekends between Summer season and Fright Night. I'm real excited about the front transformation (and the Antique Cars, honestly). I really do enjoy Kings Island as a park more than Cedar Point, though I give the nod to Cedar Point coaster wise.

Postby prozach626 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:29 pm

I don't think the 1972 look is coming back. It looks dated compared to the park's offerings. Not going to happen.

Also, the fact that the fake KI giga video has gone viral is hilarious.

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:01 pm

prozach626 wrote:I don't think the 1972 look is coming back. It looks dated compared to the park's offerings. Not going to happen.

From the blog:
Kings Island’s International Street is set to receive its first complete makeover since the park opened in 1972.

No element of International Street will be left untouched as crews update the Royal Fountain, install more than 130,000 new pavers, improve each building façade and enhance the landscaping. The renovation will take guests back to what Kings Island looked like when the park first opened, allowing guests to discover the magic of International Street again.

I've been trying to figure this out since it was originally posted. The second line makes it sound like they are renovating it to look like it did in '72, but they also say it's the first makeover it's had since the park opened. :?r
I haven't been able to find many '72 pictures so if you guys have more of them or side-by-side comparisons, keep them coming.

Also DBru I'm pretty sure I've already had a friend share the Giga video to me as well, but thankfully most of my FB friends are from CA and could not care less about Ohio coasters. Still, I find it amusing when random FB friends of mine who I rarely talk to share videos of new coasters (or "new coasters") with me as if they would come across the news before me :lol:

Oh also they announced that Coasterstock is May 17th and 18th (Don Helbig via FB group). I wish I could go but it's the Friday and Saturday before graduation and I'm having family come from CA to see me graduate, so they wouldn't be too happy if I dipped on them for coasters. :lol:
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby KIEnthusiast » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:49 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:I've been trying to figure this out since it was originally posted. The second line makes it sound like they are renovating it to look like it did in '72, but they also say it's the first makeover it's had since the park opened. :?r
I haven't been able to find many '72 pictures so if you guys have more of them or side-by-side comparisons, keep them coming.

I have attached a 1972 postcard. Absolutely stunning. Can't wait to see that look return.
Sidewalks were removed in 1982. That same year, the trees were planted and those ugly cement walls went up around the Royal Fountain. The ornate landscaping around the fountain gradually started fading away under Carl Lindner's ownership and was completely removed under Paramount. The buildings received a minor repaint in 1982(?) and the current colors were under Paramount. The Royal Fountain was last updated in 2003.
IIRC.
KI-7.jpg
1972 International Street

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby KICoasterkev » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:17 am

This is great! Can't wait to see when its all finished!

Hope they continue bringing back more classic flats to the park.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:31 am

International Street looks much better now than it did in that old picture. I have no idea what anyone is talking about.

I think the pavers will be nice but I doubt that the average guest will notice this. I could be wrong but it sounds like a lot of PR speak for (most likely) barely noticeable infrastructure work.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby kenban » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:59 am

While guests might overlook the pavers. The concrete wall surrounding the fountain has been removed, they are replacing and adding additional fountain nozzles which will be computer controlled and feature LED lighting. The pump room under the band stand is being replaced, and the band stand is being totally rebuilt with a larger stage.

I would like to think people will notice the fountain shows set to music. So far it sounds like a nice upgrade.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!