Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

I finally "turn on" my 2 PNE Quarters Games prizes! (o;
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:10 am

^ That's great! Last year, there were parts for Coaster that were very late, and it didn't open till July!
As for "the new ride," I still have the feeling it's a replacement swings ride, and that's it. But I am
going back to the park on Wednesday and hopefully, it'll all be put together....and maybe even testing! :smile:
Construction03.png
Looks like a swings set to me.
DraytonManorRide.jpg
...and speaking of a "nautical" flat ride.... at Drayton Manor, UK. Could be. Probably not. (o;
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Kamui » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:31 am

Something interesting
Capture.PNG
The map on the Playland Physics Day Brochure
Capture1.PNG
And another map from Marketing day

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:39 am

^ Yes, I remember seeing the change in the Wave Swinger on that Marketing Day map, as it's (almost) the same map posted on the wall of the Customer Service Bldg. It changed colour (to blue), and is numbered as '16' and not '18' like the old Wave Swinger was before, on the map online (see below). Thanks for posting both of the maps.

"Sea to Sky Swinger" huh? A bit wordy for a ride name. But that's okay. :)
And it looks like Corkscrew is definitely off the maps, now. And still For Sale.
It also looks like Alien Abduction and the Octopus are no more on the map, either.

FYI Trivia: The ride is named after the Highway 99 nickname,
that goes from the city, up to the mountains area, notably Whistler
and Cypress ski areas. With awesome scenic views along the way.
BrochureMap02.png
But now it's blue, and numbered #16!
SeaToSkyHighway.jpg
The Sea To Sky Highway - Highway 99.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Evan-500 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:13 pm

DailyHive has had a couple PNE/Playland related articles:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/pne-amphitheatre-new-rebuild-design

A recent planning update for the amphitheatre renewal provides a first glimpse of a preliminary design concept for rebuilding the venue into an attractive location for events.

There could be an expansive roof structure to cover the entirety of the outdoor venue’s grandstand and floor area to protect spectators from the elements. Such a roof that extends the operating season could be crucial to the venue’s financial success.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/playland-redevelopment-expansion-update-april-2019

At the moment, PNE staff are working towards a completion of the redevelopment’s business case, which may be done by 2020. Previous construction cost estimates peg this project at $120 million; staff are currently in the process of updating the cost and evaluating funding and alternative financing options.

After the approval of the business case, detailed planning and design could follow through 2022 — the possible start date for construction. It is anticipated the entire Playland renovation and expansion project will not be completed until 2028.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed May 01, 2019 2:01 pm

^ Great find there! Thanks for posting the links. Sadly, I will be what? 75 when this is all completed? <sighs> Ah well. At least by then, with a Seniors' pass, I'll be able to walk through it all, with much bench sitting, and enjoy all the fun and atmosphere of the place. :smile:

Was there today, and except for not seeing the swings, I am wondering if this is all going to be put together and running, by Opening Day this Saturday? Time will tell. I'm sure they want to have it open by then. But then, there's ...life. :wink:

Here's the quick pix I took....
IMG_8843.JPG
On closer look, the new ticket prices (+ Seniors' Day and Season Pa$$) not posted, yet.
IMG_8844.JPG
Well, we definitely know what it's called, now.
IMG_8845.JPG
And as I posted earlier, the new map shows S-t-S as #16. And all Blue/White.
And at the top of it, no sign of Corkscrew on this map. <sarcastic> Boo Hoo.
IMG_8847.JPG
IMG_8848.JPG
IMG_8849.JPG
The swings must be in there, somewhere.
IMG_8850.JPG
And now we know where both the 'waves and the whales' went!
IMG_8851.JPG
Mountains shot, before I left.
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Wed May 01, 2019 5:05 pm.

Postby Evan-500 » Wed May 01, 2019 2:33 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:^ Great find there! Thanks for posting the links. Sadly, I will be what? 75 when this is all completed? <sighs> Ah well. At least by then, with a Seniors' pass, I'll be able to walk through it all, with much bench sitting, and enjoy all the fun and atmosphere of the place. :smile:

Was there today, and except for not seeing the swings, I am wondering if this is all going to be put together and running, by Opening Day this Saturday? Time will tell. I'm sure they want to have it open by then. But then, there's ...life. :wink:

Here's the quick pix I took....

Interesting that they put a banner up but haven't announced the ride yet. I would assume with a banner up at the entrance it must mean it will be ready to go this weekend?

Also it looks like a unique and interesting design for a swing ride, I guess the old one expired? Do we think Hells Gate will operate this year?! Hah.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed May 01, 2019 3:57 pm

^ Ha ha, yeah Hells Gate, for sure! That, or Crazy Beach Party. Both have been down for extensive times during last season, but Hells Gate was the clear winner with "most of the entire season AND PNE" being down from time to time to time to.... :wink:

For now, I think Playland has wanted to up their flat ride assortment, with newer more colourful rides, like this one. That, and since AtmosFEAR opened in 2011, they have actually added six* new family-friendly flat rides, including this one. And two thrill rides as well (AF and The Beast2015). So now, with Corkscrew finally up For Sale, I figure their next project will be a Coaster to take Corkscrew's place/footprint.

Hoping it's so, in a few years. :airtime:

*Explorer Balloons; Bug Whirled; Dizzy Drop; Rock-N-Cars; Flutterbye; Sea-to-Sky Swinger.
MayVisit07_03.jpg
What used to be first seen, when you entered Playland, in 2007.
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Fri May 03, 2019 4:32 pm.

Postby Evan-500 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:09 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:^ Ha ha, yeah Hells Gate, for sure! That, or Crazy Beach Party. Both have been down for extensive times during last season, but Hells Gate was the clear winner with "most of the entire season AND PNE" being down from time to time to time to.... :wink:

For now, I think Playland has wanted to up their flat ride assortment, with newer more colourful rides, like this one. That, and since AtmosFEAR opened in 2011, they have actually added six* new family-friendly flat rides, including this one. And two thrill rides as well (AF and The Beast2015). So now, with Corkscrew finally up For Sale, I figure their next project will be a Coaster to take Corkscrew's place/footprint.

Hoping it's so, in a few years. :airtime:

*Explorer Balloons; Bug Whirled; Dizzy Drop; Rock'nRoll Bumper Cars; Flutterbyes; Sea-to-Sky Swinger.

Daily hive posted another article today confirming the Corkscrew is done, and being sold. The PNE spokesperson said its in preparation for the expansion as the corkscrew was right in the way of where the expansion would begin.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed May 01, 2019 6:55 pm

^ Noted. :b
playland_madmouse.jpg
Retro PNE: the original Mad Mouse. (Vancouver Archives)

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat May 04, 2019 9:41 am

Woo hoo! Playland finally opens today, 11 am PST for the 2019 season.
Open weekends only till June 14th. Then it'll be daily.

See you there! :airtime: http://www.pne.ca
PLaylandLogoWknd.png
PLaylandLogo.png
PNE-Logo-icon@2x.png

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!