Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Playland Open Every SaturDay (and Night) in September!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:45 pm

Just found out - this Sunday it's National Ice Cream Day! So if you are heading to Playland on Sunday,
there's a "2 for 1 Scoops" Deal for you! :smile:

It’s National Ice Cream Day on Sunday! To celebrate we are offering 2 scoops of ice cream for the price of 1 at our Scoops Ice Cream stand at Playland. That’s a doubly-sweet deal! *Valid Sunday, July 19 only.

Yum! :b :br
Screenshot_2020-07-17 Playland - PNE.png
Woo hoo for Ice Cream Day on Sunday!
IMG_3449.JPG
Here's where to get your two-4-one scoops in Playland.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:40 pm

"ALWAYS HAPPY" in quotations, there....

PNE recently posted a couple of new publicity photos for Playland.
And I must admit. Are these mask-on pix starting to get a bit....creepy?

I'm sure there will eventually be a Pirated Horror D(?) Movie made of all of this, lol.
Staff2020.png
The staff.... The staff... The staff is ALWAYS HAPPY to help you have a VERY HAPPY DAY.
ReadyToPlay02.png
Ready to Play ~ And ALWAYS HAPPY about it!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:47 pm

This Just In!

Season pass holders for this season, got a new email from the PNE
with an update of what's happening in August, for Playland...

The PNE/Playland wrote:
Dear Playland Season Pass holder,

In May we connected with you (they did) and were not sure we would be able to open our gates at Playland in 2020. We let you know that your 2020 season pass would be shifted to the 2021 Playland season with a variety of amazing bonuses.

Earlier this month, we welcomed guests back to the site to enjoy our most popular kid and family-friendly rides, as well as mini golf.

As with many of our on-site procedures, your 2020 Playland Season pass operates differently this year.

Our capacity and number of open days have been reduced for this summer. Each season pass, now valid for the 2021 season, will allow you for two (2) complimentary visits in 2020. Your season pass is not valid for unlimited visits during 2020.

In a previous communication you would have received two (2) promo codes for each pass you have (I got them). If you had not received that email or you would like some help redeeming please connect with TicketLeader at 604-252-3700 (Monday–Friday, 10am -4pm).

We are excited to let you know that beginning August 1, more of your favourite thrill rides will be open. Check https://www.pne.ca/playland2020/ next week to view the updated rides list, and hours of operation.

Stay well and we will see you soon,

Your Playland Team at the Pacific National Exhibition
Check Us Out!
ReadyToPlay03.png
Can't wait!!! And that photo looks soooooo wierd!

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby JG-77 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:56 pm

I thought the Smiler was in England...
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:28 pm

^ Ha! They should send a few dozen of those over to Alton Towers.
The park could then run a fund raiser contest with the masks as prizes!
Or sell them individually for a charity/organization. That'd work, too. :smile:

*** The PNE/Playland just posted (July29) updated info. on their schedule in August.
Only two weekends so far, and one time period per day, 11am to 5pm.
AND - they're opening most of the bigger "thrill rides" like Coaster and The Beast. :b :br

https://www.pne.ca/playland2020/
PNE-Logo-icon@2x.png

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:53 pm

Just got my comp ticket for Sunday, August 09 - 11am to 5pm. :airtime:

I get two, for each 2020 season pass. Hopefully, they'll be open in Sept. too.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:52 pm

....with that..... Smiling Mask..... on. :evil:

New photo posted by Playland(PNE) {Thanks} showing our Coaster, "in Covid19 Action"! I'm finally visiting the park this Sunday, and I waaaas wondering what they were doing with Coaster. And now I know that Row 3 (my usual) is still available, lol. :smile:

But then, I realized..... see below. :airtime:
ReadyToPlay04.png
And it's still the Purple Train from last season. But...WAIT! Wasn't this the train that stalled a year ago?...
IMG_9919.JPG
Aug.05/2019 ~ our BC Day ~ Yup - same colour coaster, stalled.
And riders being Evac-ed. So this means...they fixed the train! (o:

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:33 pm

=)

My Two Hours+ at Playland, Today...

I wasn't planning to spend the entire 6 hours at Playland, that my ticket gave me. Two hours or so was going to be more than enough. And...it was. I got a ride on Coaster, right at opening. With an 8-seat train, I remembered, I was wondering how they were planning an "every other seart" arrangement, especially for those who like the back seat....

:wink: Easy solution. Take off the 8th seat, and voila! Rows 1, 3, 5 and 7 (Now the last row) were available to everybody, including single riders like myself. And By The Way --- that train ripped through the course, even in the first parts where it's uisually 'okay' and nothing spectacular, until you get "into the middle" of it all. Wow, I was impressed what dropping one seat did for the speed of this thing!

And, it was true, this was the same purple train that suddenly slowed down and stopped in the second turn last August. They'd apparently fixed it up, and got it back on the tracks. So with yellow train, there are now two trains to run, thankfully.

I did a walk around to the back of the park, got a good a good look at what was going on in back with "the new coaster". Nothing going on. Grass had even started growing on the dirt where Corkscrew stood, so it's been awhile for anything to happen. Hopefully next year....

Got a ride on the West Coast Wheel, and actually ran into the third of several young people who worked at Playland. We all recognized each other even with masks on, and talked about "how it's all been going" for them and Playland. And all were pretty sure Fright Nights weren't going to happen in October. Other than that, we were all happy to see each other again.

BIG SURPRISE of the Day! I did not expect Gladiator to be anything more than it (usually) was. Slow, not very high, and a wierd slightly bumpy cycle. Well wow. I mean WHOA! It took off full gallop, and then arched high - REALLY REALLY HIGH - until all I could remember was the Gladiator I rode in Denmark and wanted ours to be just like it, in speed and height. Really loved it, and made sure any staff who asked me how my day went, knew that. This cycle.... plplplease keep!

Both Hellevator and AtmostFEAR were down, The Beast I would not even try to ride, and Bug Whirled was a walk-and-twirl on, heh. Kettle Creek Coaster was running for everybody, it got a line as long as Coaster's was! Sad that they weren't running the on-ride photos (not at Coaster either). Those pix would be real fun to see, although lots of people had their cell phones, etc.

About the gp. It was constantly advised to us that "masks were mandatory" in any queues (including the one eating spot, Triple O's), and on rides of course. Everybody went with that, but in some of the queues and general walking around, not all were masked. Or 'distanced.' But at this time in the game, what can ya do? :roll: I think the young staff really tried their best to be friendly, AND be advising as well.

Had my Triple O's meal (burger, fries and shake) in the shaded, treed, area of the park right beside the (non-working) flume. It was lovely to eat there, and on my total own, too. The tent most people were in, was awful, clinical looking and just boring to be in.

Although I got free tix, from being a Season Pass Holder, I didn't get free masks. So, I bought a few. And I did talk up the "Smiler" connection of them to what's in Alton Towers. And those who knew, laughed at that. Others couldn't believe The Smiler even existed ("That many times upside down, man??!")

A good couple of hours, spent the way I wanted to spend them. And I plan to return for my other free day, on Labour Day, when Playland finally closes for it's current season. :sad:
IMG_2272.JPG
Finally here for a visit!
IMG_2273.JPG
And yes, this is one long, continuous queue to get in. In the back there, is the beginning of it all.
But it went fast, once we got in, temp.checked, and masked. I brought my own mask.
IMG_2276.JPG
Noted. Thought it was sad that two rides were closed down. Turns out it was
the two tower rides. Breakdance was open. Also alas, Crazy Beach Party was not.
IMG_2277.JPG
Noted.
IMG_2278.JPG
Everywhere you stepped, there were....these.
IMG_2279.JPG
Purple train in action. Note where the queue is ending at 11am-ish. Behind Coaster's "Did You Know?" sign.
IMG_2281.JPG
They had to tack on a sign, saying it's a THRILL RIDE???
IMG_2282.JPG
No games open. Understand. Still miss my Quarters Games.
IMG_2285.JPG
Meanwhile.... And it was every other seat for The Beast, inside and outside seats.
IMG_2287.JPG
PNE put up some background "art walls" for everyone to take selfies and such with them. Nice idea.
IMG_2288.JPG
Great designs, too.
IMG_2289.JPG
IMG_2290.JPG
First look at New Coaster Land. Yep. That's grass over there.
IMG_2291.JPG
Yarrrrh! Me Crazy Beach Party's not operational. Sad times these be.
IMG_2292.JPG
Arrrrrh. Too bad sailor. We has it aaarrrlll figured out! You want back row. To the left with ye!
If ya wants that front row there, then ye be headin' over to the right side of it all. This is how it works, sez I.
IMG_2293.JPG
West Coast Wheel was running, as usual. Nothing changed in loading and how many buckets, etc....
IMG_2296.JPG
A view of a really not-too-busy looking area. Sad that AtmosFEAR was down.
IMG_2297.JPG
Down it goes! And a seven seat train definitely roars thru the course, even watching it go!
IMG_2298.JPG
Higher view of....nothing new. Boxcars on site there, though. Maybe it's a storage thing, for now.
IMG_2299.JPG
Wheee!
IMG_2300.JPG
A reminder, all over the park. And so....
IMG_2301.JPG
I got lunch! And this is what $17.50 Cdn gets you. And the fries are great, the burger is 'legendary' (o;
and the triple thick shake is just that....takes a while to get all that vanilla goodness thru the straw.
IMG_2303.JPG
Now this is how high Gladiator usually went, in it's old cycle.
IMG_2306.JPG
But now....OMG! Higher AND faster!
IMG_2308.JPG
Couldn't resist taking another shot of it, high up as it is. And it rode great! (o:
IMG_2311.JPG
Balloon Explorer. But I was getting a bit tired and warmed up. So no exploring for me.
IMG_2314.JPG
Purple train going down...
IMG_2315.JPG
And it was only seven seats! And that's how they got front and back seats available. Took off Seat 8!
IMG_2316.JPG
This was the long queue for Kettle Creek Mine Coaster. All the rides were starting to get long queues, in fact. Time to head out.
IMG_2318.JPG
Would have liked a last ride on Coaster. But not for standing in the heat for (probably) over an hour+.
Bye bye Playland. Thanks for my great day! And I'll be back (hopefully) on Sept.07th! (o:
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:13 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:19 pm

good update, and glad you got your Coaster fix.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:26 pm

^ Thanks. I had such a good time, I decided to make my second visit, on the last day that Playland is open - that being Monday Sept.07 - Labour Day, which is the "official closing date" of The Fair....usually. And I want to get at least two rides on Coaster done, this time. :wink:

But speaking of The Fair. They got something(s) planned....
Screenshot07.png
www.pne.ca/fair2020/
Screenshot08.png
Also on the 22nd. Ride the rides at night, with their lights on!
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:18 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!