Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Photo posted of Coaster, with Social Distancing on it. (o:
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Postby ricklap77 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:21 pm

It's kind of funny that the only two Vekoma corkscrews in North America where in Canada and demolished a few months apart!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:46 pm

*** "Ummm...I'll have the Volvo, just when the paint job on it...smokes a bit."
~ From the (unheard of) recipe book, "Cars-on-Spits."

:lol: Not really. But, I tried. I really did.

THIS JUST IN! The PNE has come up with another "Taste of The PNE" - with BBQ and Poutine. Yum!
Here's the info and the link. It runs this coming weekend, June 18-21st...Father's Day Weekend! :)

The PNE wrote:
~ CAR-B-Q ~ :mike:

Enjoy this latest drive-thru experience featuring options for a mouth-watering BBQ meal, plus a classic & custom car show, presented by 360 Fabrication!

June 18-21 ~ 11am-3pm and 4-8pm

Fixed. :wink:

Tickets must be purchased in advance for a specific time slot, and are not available for sale on site. Limited tickets are available per time slot per day.

BONUS: A Taste of the PNE ticket orders include two FREE tickets to the opening day of the 2021 PNE Fair!

(Which means in all probability, the 2020 PNE is NOT HAPPENING in August.)

These will be added to your TicketLeader account at a later date.

In accordance with Provincial health guidelines, please limit your vehicle to only your social distancing circle and be considerate of those around you by staying in your vehicle. Food must be taken to go and cannot be consumed on site.

And I am curious, as to how this "classic & custom car show" is being run. I have the feeling , it will be a drive-by kind of thing. And I am also pretty sure, that a lot of these cars have already been "on display" during a previous PNE. Which is cool. The ones that stand out more, and can be easily seen from cars, will be the ones on display.

https://ticketleader.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=TPNE&linkID=tktldr&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=
Screenshot_2020-06-12 A Taste of the PNE CAR-B-Q Edition - PNE.jpg
IMG_7326.JPG
Maybe this (?) custom car will be one of The Ones on display, during CAR-B-Q. (At the PNE, 2018)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:52 pm

=)

Emojis 'R Us!

A couple of years ago, Playland decided to go with the current trend involving emoticons, for their ads.

The ads are self-explanatory. And most are gross, as is usual with some Playland ads, lol. :wink:

NEWS! They've extended the Car-B-Q Event to the following weekend, 27/28th!
Custom Car Show will not be happening during this wknd. Check out details at http://www.pne.ca
BusAd14.jpg
(2018)
BusAd13.jpg
BusAd11-2018.jpg
BusAd15.jpg
BusAd17.jpg
BusAd16.jpg
BusAd18.jpg
I would like to think this was an actual setup on the PNE grounds.
And emojis on the floor is a very nice touch. (o:
Screenshot_2020-06-12 A Taste of the PNE CAR-B-Q Edition.jpg
And happening again, this coming weekend.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:12 pm

BIG NEWS! The PNE has put together a new "letter to the public" outlining what's happened with The Fair (they finally announced it as being cancelled, and replaced instead with a drive-thru "2020 PNE Fair Experience" event) and what's happening with Playland, etc. Here's the link to the entire letter, but here is The Paragraph that outlines what is going to happen specifically with Playland.

https://www.pne.ca/letter/

The PNE wrote:
...And on July 10th we will carefully reopen Playland Amusement Park . This will take place in phases over the summer. This first phase opening will include between 10-12 of our most popular family-friendly rides and attractions. We plan to increase the number and types of rides in future phases, and as always, we will work with health authorities to ensure the experience is following all safety protocols. With your Playland admission, you will also get a fun face mask and you can know that your support of Playland is helping to bring hundreds of summer jobs back to BC. It might not be our usual thousands of jobs, but we will do everything we can to support our team.

I also admire the way PNE is naming the non-medical face masks as...Fun Face Masks!
Very cool idea to name them (and design them) that way.

More kids/adults/families will (hopefully) want to wear them, then! :smile:
ReadyToPlay.png
Soon, soon. And if these ^ are the Fun Masks... awesome! The Group Shots should be so fun!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:53 am

Playland may not be opening until July 10th, but those at The PNE
have got other stuff cooked up for everybody's enjoyment...

This is will be a drive thru event, again. Here's how they describe it:

The PNE wrote:
A Taste of the PNE ~ July 1 ~ Canada Day Edition!

Be a part of our country’s only Canada Day Parade!

Join us in wearing red & white and waving maple leaf flags, as *A Taste of the PNE* returns for this patriotic celebration. Decorate your car for a “reverse parade” where you get to drive through the Pacific Coliseum and PNE Grounds experiencing live entertainment including a Logger Sports show and other Canadiana-themed performers. Then, stop at food trucks to pick up some favourite Fair food including: corn dogs, hot dogs, poutine, cotton candy, and lemonade.

$10 admission (one per carload) is required, with the option to order food in advance from the menu.

Wednesday, July 1: 10am-8pm

Tickets must be purchased online for a specific time slot, and are not available for sale on site. Limited tickets are available per time slot per day.

https://www.pne.ca/canada-day/ for more information and tickets.

And BY THE WAY.... I would really like to know, if there is any other park, doing this kind of thing, like the PNE and Playland are doing? I think this is really cool of them, to figure out stuff, in regards to the pandemic, etc. It's mostly drive-thrus they've been doing, but hey - sell outs and they extended one of them. Certainly unique among parks.
Screenshot_2020-06-26 A Taste of the PNE Canada Day Edition.png
GOOSE!

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Evan-500 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:23 pm

Tickets are now on sale for Playland. Have a morning or afternoon time slot to choose from.

Only the kids rides are opening.

“The following 12 kids & family rides will be open in July

Bug Whirled
Honeybee Express
Choppers
Kettle Creek Mine Coaster
Tea Cups
Cap’n KC
Merry-Go-Round
Balloon Explorers
The Flutterbye
Cool Cruzers
Sea-to-Sky Swinger
Pacific Adventure Golf”

https://www.pne.ca/playland2020/

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:32 pm

^ Well, two out of three coasters open...isn't too bad. :wink: I am surprised they didn't open the Westcoast (Ferris) Wheel. But that, along with Coaster, will be opened in upcoming phases. And they've also given season pass holders a couple of perks, even though the passes themself, won't be honored at this time.

https://www.pne.ca/playland2020/ (Never hurts to repeat, Yes? No?)
ReadyToPlay01.png

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:51 pm

=)
...or, "Riding the bus just got a lot more nauseating" ~ rethinkCanada

These final past ads I'm going to post, were actually "ads that moved", and when they were on moving transit... well, it would have been something to see other riders looking up....and then....? :smile:

Here's the link to the actual videos of them. And from there you can explore other ads Rethink did for Playland, these past 14+ years. https://rethinkcanada.com/work/playland/2017/print-outdoor/playland-transit-ads/

I just posted here a still from one of the 3 videos.

So, click and enjoy at your own risk. :evil:
BusAd50.png

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:02 pm

:airtime: :airtimer:

Playland Opens This Weekend ~ But know before you go...

Here's the link to all the info. one needs for going to Playland this month.
The park is open only weekends (Fri-Sun) for now, and only this month
is listed with the current schedule.

https://www.pne.ca/playland2020/

But, most importantly, you MUST BUY TICKETS ONLINE. There are no ticket sales at the booths,
at the front gate of the park. And - each day is divided into two four-hour time slots for visiting:
10:30am-2:30pm and 3:30-7:30pm.

I also found this rule, which applies to those of you with bags (incl.myself) to carry or wear on your back, etc...

For the safety of all of our guests and team members, outside food and beverage will not be permitted on site. In an effort to decrease touch points we ask that you do not bring outside food, beverage, bags, back packs and coolers to Playland. There will not be any locking bins or storage spaces available in the park.

The ride selection (12 of them) is mainly for families with small kids, but their two smaller coasters (of the three in Playland) will be open, and those can be ridden by adults/teenagers as well as children. Their current plans are to open with this ride selection at first, and then add more rides (including eventually, I hope, Coaster) in phases, in August.

~~~~~~~~~*

Ann those who already have current Season Passes? They are not being honored for the season, but they will be credited towards 2021's Season Passes. And, for the current months it is open, they are offering two free day tickets to the park. That totals nearly $60 for two visits. The free tickets can also be saved for next month and Sept. Which is what I intend to do with mine. Save them until there are more "bigger rides" open, including Coaster. :smile:

And, if you need to buy an awesome Playland Mask, which Season Passholders do not get with their free tix, they are charging $8 for both sizes - $10 for gp, after the gp receive one free mask with their day ticket.

(Emails to current Passholders were already sent out, explaining all of the above, and more.)

And BY THE WAY - if anyone out there is planning to go to Playland in the next few weeks,
I'd sure like to hear about how your visit went. :smile:
IMG_1922.JPG
NOTE: Ticket Booths will NOT be open. Tickets must be bought online.
WhiteSpot.png
And THIS is what I want to get back to, too! Good old White Spot with awesome burgers, fries & shakes. (o:

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:38 pm

I decided to email Playland/PNE about the maximum capacity at Playland, during these times.
Compared to all the other parks' openings, around the world. Here's what they emailed back to me:

the PNE wrote:Thank you for your email. Our current max capacity is 550 guests in the park. I am not sure if you have been to Playland, but we have a very large footprint, even in this limited opening its open from the North to the South end of the whole park.

Not a big number, compared to other bigger parks and franchises. When I finally get there, probably in August, the number may have been enlarged by then. But for now...that's a really small number of people allowed!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!