Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

2017: Playland "Ads That Move" on a moving transit vehicle.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat May 09, 2020 1:57 pm

:)

* ...Together!

In searching for the various sets of ads that Playland has used through the years, I have four here
that (so far) have no other ads from the same series. I'll keep looking, but for now, here they are.

And three ads that do go together. These three are from last year. I remember seeing one of them
in a bus stop, but I honestly thought it was for some Exercise Programs, lol. Wrong on that. And these are
supposed to be a throwback to those 1980s workout videos (think VHS, if you remember such things).

Enjoy these.
BusAd39-2013.jpg
(2013)
BusAd40.png
BusAd41.jpg
BusAd33.jpg
I love this one. Wish I could find the other related ads. RIP Corkscrew.
BusAd36-2019.jpg
(2019)
BusAd37.jpg
BusAd38.jpg
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue May 12, 2020 2:03 pm

It was just announced today, that the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) over in Toronto is officially cancelled,
and not expected to return until the following year. It runs the same time period as the PNE, here in Vancouver.
(Pacific National Exhibition) The last two weeks of August, through Labour Day weekend.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/cne-cancels-2020-fair-1.5566318

And the announcement on the CNE site: https://theex.com/2020-cne-message

Makes me wonder if the PNE is going to be cancelled as well.
Nothing announced here yet, but time will tell. :?r

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat May 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Here's some more past PNE Ads. The first three involve snacks on rides. (A no-no in the real world, lol.)
The second three ads answer the question, "What if the ride sign was more....personal?"

Enjoy. :)
Food03.jpg
(unknown year)
Food02.jpg
Food01.jpg
BusAd29-2016.JPG
(2016)
BusAd31.jpg
BusAd30.jpg

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed May 20, 2020 2:55 pm

The PNE posted a video recently. While it thanks it's patrons who come every year to the annual fair, it doesn't
exactly say 'yes' or 'no' about whether the PNE is actually going to be happening, this August. Whatever the case, and this is just my opinion, since they've still been advertising July 1st (our Canada Day) as Playland's Opening Day, I have the feeling they will cancel the fair, and run Playland through the entire summer.

Just a guess, but who knows? And I took a screenshot from the video, to show where Playland started out. It's on the east side of the Race Track now, but back then, it was on the west side of the track, and called Happyland. And where Happyland was, is now just parking lots for anything that happens on the PNE grounds. The shot shows Happyland's (then) two E-Ticket attractions: the Shoot The Chutes (then called Water Chutes) and their original coaster, called the Giant Dipper.

Here's the link to the video: https://www.pne.ca/ And it's called We Can't Wait to Welcome You Back
(Video is half way down the page)
We Can't Wait to Welcome You Back 2020-05-16.png
Screenshot from the video. Chutes and Coaster in back. All of it West of the Race Track.
GiantDipper-shootthechutes.jpg
Giant Dipper and Water Chute on a postcard.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed May 20, 2020 2:56 pm

Oops - Double post. Bad bear.

...might as well post another pic of the late Happyland Giant Dipper...
GiantDipper.jpg

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Wed May 20, 2020 6:08 pm

Were there 2 different Giant Dippers?

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed May 20, 2020 7:06 pm

^ Not sure. I realize that the two old photos do resemble 2 different coasters. That they're both listed as the Giant Dipper, and in Happyland at the PNE, it's possible one was demolished and a similar one built in it's place. Will look into that, soon.

Just checked and found two of them, in Happyland...

Dip the Dips

Happyland Park (Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada)

Removed, Operated from 1915 to 1924 - Roller Coaster; Wood; Sit Down.
---------------------------------------
Giant Dipper
Happyland Park (Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada)

Removed, Operated from 1925 to 1947 - Roller Coaster; Wood; Sit Down.
---------------------------------------

I now believe that b/w photo I posted ^^ is the Dip the Dips Coaster.
And the one in the postcard and screenshot, is the Giant Dipper.

And it looks like, between 1947 and 1958, we had no coaster at all, during that time period!

Thanks to rcdb.com for all the information. :smile: And thanks DBru ^ for that "coaster check".
FerrisWheelsRus.jpg
From the 1950s: Ferris Wheels must have been a Big Deal back then. But, THREE of them at the PNE???

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri May 22, 2020 5:51 pm

The PNE is pretty much NOT going to happen this August. Although they haven't exactly said it, they are offering tickets to next year's Fair, if you buy tix online, with current "Events" planned through this summer. Such as this weekend's "Taste Of" Event...

The PNE wrote:
~ A Taste of The PNE ~

A mini donut drive thru experience
May 22-24, 2020
1-7pm daily
Enter off Hastings Street, West of Playland
A celebration of the almighty mini donut! We can’t believe we don’t get to see you all at Playland right now so we’d like to bring one of our favourite food items to you this weekend.

A Taste of the PNE – Mini Donut Edition is the first in an anticipated series of events celebrating some of our Playland and Fair favourites. In partnership with other donut food trucks, this mini donut drive thru event offers the ability to drive up to each of the participating donut stands, grab a variety of donuts to go for a bundled price.

Vote for your favourite to help us crown the BC’s Best Mini Donut!

https://www.pne.ca/a-taste-of-the-pne/ For more information on how to buy & vote for Your Fave Mini-Donut!

(I'm not planning to do it. Too many "mini-donuts" in my life, as it is.)

NOTE: Saturday (today) was SOLD OUT, so if you're planning to hit the trucks tomorrow,
better get the tix online. And get 2-1 Day Admission Tix to next year's PNE! (o:

NOTE #2: They decided to do one more day of it (today, Monday/25th) and it also SOLD OUT online!
MiniDonuts01.jpg
Yum!
Screenshot_2020-05-22 A Taste of the PNE - PNE.png
I hope they've figured out other "PNE Taste Of" events to happen this summer. Cotton candy & candy apples, anyone? (o;

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue May 26, 2020 1:11 pm

:)

...Or what was called... #PlaylandWisdom (2016)

From year to year, I sometimes find all of the ads that Playland puts out for that year. Such was my luck in 2016. The first ad, I actually found on the bus. The rest I found at bus stops and our rapid transit stations, which is where most Playland ads end up.
BusAd05-2016.JPG
My first ad find!
BusAd05-2016a.jpg
It also works, online.
BusAd06.JPG
BusAd07.JPG
BusAd09.JPG
BusAd10.JPG
Noted. (o;

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:25 pm

Now that we're one month away from hopefully opening, a reminder.....

PNE/Playland wrote:
In light of the COVID-19 global pandemic, we will be delaying the opening of Playland. We are fully committed to our mission of building social connections and bringing people together in a safe way and therefore, in the best interest of our guests and employees, we are proceeding with a delayed opening.

While we had been planning for a July 1 Opening, we recognize that we will need to continue to modify our plans. We are working with the current guidelines and recommendations from provincial health authorities to explore all options for you to enjoy our site this year.

We thank you for your support and will continue to communicate with you as we navigate through this ever changing time. In the meantime, we urge everyone to exercise the recommended preventative measures to keep your families safe, and we look forward to seeing you at the PNE soon.

Subject to change, of course. :) All the same, here's hoping.
Coaster_12.jpg
A postcard.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!