Playland (PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Vendor Applications for the 2019 PNE now available! (o:
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:24 pm

Interesting trip report on a park that you don't see posted a lot...great job!

I went to CP gay days this year and was surprised at the large number of gay men and women that were there...I wasn't quite sure if there would be a big crowd representing the gay population at a Midwest theme park. No offense to anybody from the Mid-West, but we all know that folks tend to be a little more conservative than say...Massachusetts, California, or Florida.

Of course, you could expect to see some of the teens cackling and ogling after they walked by a couple of guys holding hands. Same could be said for some of the more conservative older folks, as far as staring. But overall, it was a great day and the park was not that crowded! The following day was even less crowded!

I may do this again next year! Fun times, a nice, safe comfort level...and low crowds/lines for coasters! :b

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby Corkscrew » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:28 pm

rllrcster wrote:^Oohhh, a weekend trip sounds fab to me! Let's discuss.

^^ Indiana Beach, Mt. Olympus, Valleyfair, and Chessington off the top of my head.

If you are thinking about visiting Playland, I totally recommend it. Playland is a great little park with a nice assortment of flats and a good wooden coaster.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:22 pm

^^^
A most interesting bunch of parks to be a part of I must say, Miles. <grin>

And just to let you guys know...

Playland is open daily (1000-7/8pm wkdy/wknd) until August 15th. Then it becomes a part of our annual Pacific National Exhibition (PNE for short, lol) for two weeks until Labor Day weekend. And you'll have to pay fair admission AND a higher daypa$$ price for Playland during that time.

After the fair, Playland goes to a weekend schedule until the end of Sept. Then it gets ready for the 'Fright Nights In OctoBOOr', heh heh.

http://www.pne.bc.ca/

Hope you can figure something out.

And as additonal info., the park is way less crowded weekdays than on Sat. or Sunday. As a Season Pass holder, it's true! It's true! <grin> I can also get your daypasses ahead of your arrival and meet you at the park, etc. PM me and let me know what works out for you if you do plan a visit, okay? :smile:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby ihani » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:11 am

Nice mini TR! You took good pics for that camera.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:38 pm

^Thanks.

Once I get the hang of the thing, it'll probably turn out to be a nice little camera, for those quickie-trips or in-town events, LOL. Only 20 hig-res pix can be taken, but that's cool.

I just won't use it for any big touring trips in the near future. :smile:

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Gay Day in Playland - Saturday, July 13, 2013

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:10 pm

I thought I would spare posting a new thread for this. It's the same old, same old, in a different year.
But we got sunshine this time 'round, woo hoo! Very nice to have, instead of the rain and drizzle.

So here's my day at Playland when it went PINK of sorts, and the gays and queers to
be found - if you knew where to look for them (ha ha) amongst the "other people" in the park. :wink:
Resize of IMG_3153.JPG
There were these great gals to make sure, those taking the bus to the park, didn't miss where they had to get off!
Resize of IMG_3154.JPG
Main Entrance of Playland.
Resize of IMG_3155.JPG
With the unknown (to me) radio station booth setup nearby.
Resize of IMG_3158.JPG
And - we're inside the park!
Re-exposure of Resize of IMG_3195.JPG
Our friendly (but closed) Customer Services bldg. - in purple!
Resize of IMG_3160.JPG
Our main eatery - White Spot - home of the Triple O's!
Resize of IMG_3193.JPG
See? Even one of the awnings say so!
Resize of IMG_3194.JPG
And you can frost your tastebuds too, here. Yum.
Resize of IMG_3159.JPG
Main eating area where we can crui-...uh... enjoy the view of the crowds.
Resize of IMG_3161.JPG
Over to our awesome amazing wooden COASTER.
Resize of IMG_3162.JPG
The queue is already pretty long...
Resize of IMG_3164.JPG
...But they only ran one train, until mid-afternoon. They then ran two, which was great for speeding up the line.
Resize of IMG_3196.JPG
Here's the station with some purple trim on it. And they actually added the purple train as the second train for the afternoon. Awesome!
Resize of IMG_3165.JPG
Now that's the way to wear a pink pig.
Resize of IMG_3133.JPG
Now this - this is the total of the Capsule Machines in the park - and practically anywhere in Vancouver! Sad, when you think of the thousands and thousands of them all over Tokyo and Japan. <sighs>
Resize of IMG_3166.JPG
The Candy Store's definitely got some pink and purple in there. Looks gay to me.
Resize of IMG_3168.JPG
Yay! The ice cream booth has pink in it's main sign!
Resize of IMG_3169.JPG
Doesn't matter if you're gay or not. HELL is....well, hell.
Resize of IMG_3199.JPG
Oh yeah, this was above the entrance to the arcade and the capsule machines. Have no idea what it says. But - pretty colours!
Resize of IMG_3171.JPG
Our Corkscrew. Nothing pink about it.
Resize of IMG_3218.JPG
See? No pink. A lot of white and red there.
Resize of IMG_3173.JPG
In front of it. Revelation. My only "revelation" was that for an up charge, it cost - too - much.
Resize of IMG_3176.JPG
On our way to the SkyWheel, looking across the park.
Resize of IMG_3177.JPG
There's what I am heading to, for relaxation and photos. In all it's rainbow colours, too. Gay!
Resize of IMG_3178.JPG
One more shot of our lovely AtmosFEAR (a Star FLyer, natch), before Part 2 of the day is posted...
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:37 am.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Gay Day in Playland - Saturday, July 13, 2013 - Part 2

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Continuing on, the sun was so hot and nice, I am sure I was getting more tan on top of my Japan Tour Tan - on top of my Mexico Tour Tan.... well, it was nice NOT to lotion myself, heh heh.

And eventually, I found where everybody who's gay (or not but supportive) go to drink, watch drag queen performances, and generally cruise each other... The Celebration Tent!

By the way, FYI, this amusement park used to be called GAYLAND decades ago, before it was "officially" changed to Playland - At The PNE. Hmmm, wonder why the change....
Resize of IMG_3180.JPG
See all that pink in our Star Flyer? So happy and gay.
Resize of IMG_3181.JPG
There's even some PINK in this thing, if you look hard enough,.
Resize of IMG_3205.JPG
BFF, on the same side of the SkyWheel's gondola. Ahhh...
Resize of IMG_3210.JPG
So I get on it, and here's long shot of our lovely coaster, with the train just going down the first hill.
Resize of IMG_3214.JPG
And for those who enjoy circles and stuff like that - the Scrambler. Behind it, one of the two new family rides in the park - non-Disney Teacups ride. And our merry-go-round is to the right of that.
Resize of IMG_3212.JPG
And a Crazy Beach party we got, too. Also circular!
Resize of IMG_3216.JPG
General overview shot. Not very PINK here.
Resize of IMG_3213.JPG
What's this I see from the SkyWheel?
Resize of IMG_3215.JPG
And then, some more is exposed.
Resize of IMG_3220.JPG
And now, a lot more we can see of The Gay Area. Looks ready for everybody.
Resize of IMG_3221.JPG
I am so excited about finding The Gay Area - I have to show off my new summer shoes! <smiles>
Resize of IMG_3219.JPG
Another general shot of part of the park.
Resize of IMG_3229.JPG
Here's what I really like about riding the SkyWheel - the view to the north of us!
Resize of IMG_3228.JPG
This is Burnaby Mtn. to the right of the above shot. Not much PINK there, but lots and lots of lush, cool, GREEN forest area.
Resize of IMG_3223.JPG
We call those two mtns. in the distance The Twins. They have Indian legends to them, too. Written by the late Emily Carr, along with other great city stories.
Resize of IMG_3182.JPG
After riding the Wheel, and walking along, I see more flags there beyond the crowd!
Resize of IMG_3183.JPG
But first, a look into the park's only souvenirs shop - The Goodz. And I see a bit of PINK there, too!
Resize of IMG_3187.JPG
Only a little PINK & purple here and there, but it's a nice collection of stuff to buy (there's counter cases with a lot more stuff) for your theme park needz.
Resize of IMG_3188.JPG
Our old Bumper Cars "building" is a sad little place
Resize of IMG_3189.JPG
No PINK or purple to be found <sad>> And the attraction's not that great, either. IMhO
Resize of IMG_3191.JPG
And the "log flume" ride. All blues and greens. And a lonely basketball net in front.
Resize of Re-exposure of IMG_3208.JPG
I find a (kind of) rainbow of unopened booths, all in a row. These will be used later in late August during our annual fair, The PNE. More rides will be brought in, too. And the day pass for rides will increase during the fair, naturally.
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:40 am.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Gay Day in Playland - Saturday, July 13, 2013 - Part 3

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:29 pm

And now - into the spot know as The Gay Area - mainly the drinking and show area in the park, exclusively for queers and their friends/supporters/curious/undecided, lol.
IMG_3251.JPG
And THIS was a guest performer from Las Vegas! Sorry hon, forgot your name. But you were fa-bu, channeling Liza Minnelli. (And I think the one on the left is her handler.)
Resize of IMG_3201.JPG
After that performance, I started to get ready to leave the park. But first checked out Playland's second family ride - Balloon Explorers. Nice little up-and=down with a great view of all around. And you could spin the car!
Resize of IMG_3231.JPG
And this lovely twosome, gets you your Bar Tent Entry Sticker, for any donation to the Vancouver Price Society, which puts on our annual parade and Pride Week.
Resize of IMG_3234.JPG
This is looking out of the main drinking tent.
Resize of IMG_3237.JPG
And this was the awesome staff there in the Bar Tent, to help you quench your thirst, booze or non-
Resize of IMG_3238.JPG
Here's a few friends I just saw, coming into the area. Of course, I took their photo!
Resize of IMG_3243.JPG
And this was the tent just an hour after I had been here before - and it was empty, then!
Resize of IMG_3244.JPG
Turned around - and OMG, it's Debby Harry and friends! Or when she's incognito....Peach.
Resize of IMG_3246.JPG
Bar line up. And look! I see a few PINKS in there!
Resize of IMG_3247.JPG
Just showing that I am indeed, in the building. GASP! My - First - Selfie!
Resize of IMG_3248.JPG
But before I got outside to see for myself, um... shhhhh nobody knows s/he's a drag queen!
Resize of IMG_3249.JPG
I think The Show is starting up. And this just looks wierd to me - all these gay guys looking through a chain link fence.
Resize of IMG_3250.JPG
This is Symone, who hosted the show.
Resize of IMG_3252.JPG
She was as good as one can be, when one lipsyncs well.
Resize of IMG_3254.JPG
Good performance. And practically the whole Liza Songbook, LOL. (A few numbers only.)
Resize of IMG_3258.JPG
Artsy-fartsy shot of the balloon ride.
Resize of IMG_3259.JPG
Looking back - people shouldn't be in Glass Houses. Too dangerous, hee hee.
Resize of IMG_3260.JPG
One last look before I go out the exit gates....
Resize of IMG_3261.JPG
...To a much cheaper lunch! Franchises are just outside the park, and I do like my Burger King once in a while. And that's it! GayDay at Playland for 2013!
Resize of Re-exposure of IMG_3257.JPG
When you go in, you get wristbands from these lovely people, for better access to the area.
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Sun May 18, 2014 4:25 pm.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Photo TR: Playland goes GAYland in Vancouver today!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:50 pm

I also managed to find, a couple of the posters they're now using to advertise the season at Playland.
Not as cute and funny as the Barfing Stuffies' series back a few years, but still - pretty good. And then,
there was the "extra poster" I found.... :wink:

EDIT to add: And the tv ads are pretty intense on their own, LOL. But fun.
Resize of IMG_3134.JPG
Here's one for the men...
Resize of IMG_3136.JPG
And one for the women.....
Resize of IMG_3275.JPG
And for those who have yet, to make up their mind... :P
Last edited by Nrthwnd on Sun May 18, 2014 4:26 pm.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Playland (at the PNE) Vancouver Discussion Thread

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:06 pm

Am bumping this, because besides the Gay Day that happens once every July, some times there is interesting stuff going on at my home park, apart from that. That said, I found some new photos to share from the park - the best one for me, is their new Warning Signs located at Coaster, Hells Gate, and a couple of other thrill rides.

Very effective visually, I thought. See for yourself... :)
Resize of IMG_3296.JPG
Artsy shot of the shadow of the SkyWheel I ride, every visit...
Resize of IMG_3284.JPG
For a shot like this, just across our inlet/harbour.
Resize of IMG_3279.JPG
And another shot the other way, overlooking Playland, itself.
Resize of IMG_3292.JPG
And - a very Awesome WARNING Sign!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!