Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

P. 130: MorimotoFest event details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:35 am

^^ That sounds like a great reason to stay at Caribbean Beach.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby bigboy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:09 am

SharkTums wrote:Basically everyone switches at Caribbean Beach. That's where the mechanics for all three separate lines are. If you board at Caribbean Beach heading to Riviera and Epcot you STAY in your gondola at Riviera and people may or may not be added to it at that hotel once it's open. They do NOT make you get off and get back on at Riviera when you're heading to Epcot.

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize Riviera wasn't open yet.

I've stayed at Caribbean Beach twice and, like the other moderates, it is nice, but very spread out. Getting to the common buildings and the bus stops can be a bit of a chore, especially in the heat and humidity. I've stayed at Pop Century twice in the meantime and I think I would choose there or Art of Animation going forward. The more compact layout (made smaller by spending a little extra on a preferred room) and the centralized bus pickup just makes for an easier stay. I can handle walking a little more if needed, but I don't feel guilty since we're walking like crazy in the parks. The room quality at Caribbean was no better than Pop Century.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby tuxedomask5432 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:33 am

^ Between the three southern resorts on the Skyliner I would definitely spend a little extra money for the Caribbean Beach resort. While I can’t compare the rooms (since we stayed at the Fort Wilderness campground) the grounds and amenities of Caribbean beach were so much more pleasant. The main pool was way nicer with water slides. And the food options were very delicious. I could tell they recently renovated the lobby and it was gorgeous. I ate at Banana Cabana and it was one of the best meals we had on property. I’ve heard good things about Sebastian’s Bistro too. The extra walking is worth it, and the resort has 6 pools so one is probably not too far from you. Pop Century and Art of Animation still seemed like a ton of walking to me, especially if you stay in a room further away from the Skyliner. AND does the amount of walking you do at the Caribbean Beach resort compare to the amount of time you save skipping one leg, and a transfer on the Skyliner? It seems like a wash, and if you have no kids I would definitely prefer the Caribbean Beach.

As far as the Skyliner goes, loved it! Miss having an attraction like this at Magic Kingdom but this definitely makes up for it. We extended our campground reservations a week longer so we could experience the new mode of transportation. It lived up to most of our expectations. We went on two days when it was 95 outside and we were concerned it was going to be hot. Most of the time it was not.

However, the Skyliner slowed down frequently on the Epcot/Riviera line due to the ECV & Wheelchair loading area not working. We slowed down and stopped almost every 30 seconds. It got brutally hot in the Skyliner and it’s October. When it is working the Skyliner has to slow down to allow one car to transfer to the ECV loading area. This too caused the breeze to dissipate and making the ride too hot and uncomfortable.

I do think Disney’s going to get complaints about the cars being too hot. Yes an A/C might be too much to ask, but at least a fan?

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:23 pm

I'm just so glad there's Disney Skyrides/Liners, back in our lives. :mickey:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby bgtlover » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:03 am

Coaster Count: 130
Top 10:

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby tuxedomask5432 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:16 am

^ Whelp! It looks like back to the busses again for a while. Good thing we just left.

Seriously though, it’s not like this is Doppelmayr’s first rodeo. We saw their trucks were still on site the last time we rode it on Friday the 5th. We even joked about the cars looking like they would collide coming into the station, because they do come in quickly and stop suddenly.

Needless to say, with a product this new, this is terrible press and this is going to hurt Doppelmayr more than it’s going to hurt Disney.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:43 am

The collision was actually leaving the station, not entering it. From what I've been hearing, there was a power outage that stopped the whole line for a few minutes, and when the power came back on, the yellow cars were driven into the blue one.
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:37 pm

I hope nobody was hurt in this accident.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby ALT2870 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:50 pm

Certainly a shame something like this happens so close after opening.

Based on the information given, aka this is the departure side of the terminal, all we know is the blue cabin wasn't moving. Whether it didn't attach to the haul rope (lift auto stops in that case), power failure, or slippage, quite a few possibilities in regards to why the cabin was stopped.

Lot of theories out there right now in regards to the actual collision. Someone from liftblog.com has a good theory though:

That’s usually what’s happens when the lift operators acknowledge and start again after an automatic stop from the anti-collision system… without any investigation and looking if all gondolas are still moving!

In this case, they probably re-started the lift at least two times to get such stacking and a high speed collision which break the gondola glass!

The broken glass could be just a bad angle and not from speed, but who knows. But very likely human error as lifts have many systems just to make sure something like this doesn't happen. But you never know, multi failures can happen.

tuxedomask5432 wrote:Seriously though, it’s not like this is Doppelmayr’s first rodeo. We saw their trucks were still on site the last time we rode it on Friday the 5th. We even joked about the cars looking like they would collide coming into the station, because they do come in quickly and stop suddenly.

Needless to say, with a product this new, this is terrible press and this is going to hurt Doppelmayr more than it’s going to hurt Disney.

It is standard procedure for the lift manufacture to be on site a week or two after opening to continue to monitor the lift to make sure everything is functioning properly. Someone has a picture out there with Doppelmayr trucks in the parking lot backing this up. Doppelmayr North American headquarters are over in Salt Lake and they certainly don't have trucks just sitting in a state they just built their first installs in.

With the tight cabin spacing, there is little room for error. I'm sure Disney will spread out spacing by removing cabins for a while.

Doppelmayr has no name anywhere, I'm doubting many people know who made it, most will think Disney made the system. The D-Line is proven technology (this coming from a Leitner-Poma fan) that has many installs in Europe and is slowly starting to be introduced here in the states. The only thing that is different at Disney is the accessible cabins being broken off every so often, but as mentioned, this accident happened when the cabin was supposed to be accelerating out, not where cabins merge back in.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:13 am

I figured the Skyliner would be evac'd eventually and guessed that the media would go bonkers but so far it seems like I haven't seen as much coverage of this incident as I expected. Maybe a good thing that it happened at night when the resort wasn't as active. I fully anticipated seeing it shared on facebook by someone vowing to never go to Disney world again but hat hasn't happened......yet haha.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!