TPR's Ever Evolving Park Index

Page 106: Updated list of needs
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:57 pm

Tivoli Friheden--Else's Hotel Sign.
Else's Hotel Sign.jpg

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:21 pm

^thanks Chuck.

In the next couple of days, I'm going to post an updated list of pictures still needed for parks already in the index. The TPR community has done a great job supplying photos to the Park Index over the past 12 months. However, with the recent site hack, I visited each Park Page and developed a new list of needs.

We now have over 25,000 photos in the index. This covers over 6,600 rides at nearly 500 parks.

Improvements continue daily, as practically all of Shane's Amusement Attic submissions are now more easily viewed in the "nostalgia" section within each park's page within Park Index.

Thanks to everyone who helped and I hope you all continue find the Park Index useful.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby larrygator » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:59 pm

broomy wrote:Do all trip reports get put on the parks page and checked for any valuable ride index pictures when they get put in the archive?

Excellent question!

I personally view every Photo TR that is posted on the site. As the Obsessive Overlord of the Park Index, that's what I do. I guess I could put that in the "nerdiest coaster thing I have ever done thread."

For PTRs, I will select what myself or other moderators deem the best to be linked to the Park Index. It's all subjective, sometimes we pick one with great photos, sometimes we select one that is well written and tell an entertaining story. We can not link every Photo TR.

I will only link PTRs if the photos are downloaded onto TPR, if your photos are hosted on imageshack, smugmug or somewhere else we run the risk as have a bunch of Red X in the future.

Of course when there are fewer PTRs posted, the quality of those linked may not be of as high a quality. Hence why my Photo TR of Wild Waves is linked, we only have one other Photo TR from that park.

When it comes to ride photos, if I see an adult flat ride that is not in the Park Index in someone PTRs, I will create that ride name in our database and link the picture. We don't care if it is a Scrambler or a S&S Space Shot, if it is an adult flat ride we want it in the Park Index. Again this is a lot easier for me to do if the photos are loaded on to the TPR server, versus imageshack,smugmug, etc...

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby broomy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks Larry I get felt dumb after reading the topic properly and noticing you can submit reports and pictures.

Just looking at the new park index that is in progress and I have to say that it is amazing. Keep up the great work.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:54 pm

Larry already knows how much I love the park index, because I'm constantly pestering him about it. :P

And I really like the new(-ish) park map thing (though not every park has one yet).

So yes, indeed, keep up the great work, Larry!

Postby larrygator » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:34 pm

^If people want to scan park maps (that we don't already have) and submit them as 800x600 I'll post them. Problem is that not all park maps look that great at 800x600.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Squid » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:37 am

Offhand, do you want picture for rides and attractions for kids? What about rides and attractions that are no longer in the park?

Postby larrygator » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:02 am

Squid wrote:Offhand, do you want picture for rides and attractions for kids? What about rides and attractions that are no longer in the park?

Kid's rides - No!
Family Rides - Yes!

Unfortunately, we have to draw the line somewhere and not completely overload the overlord. Along the same lines, not many FECs/Kiddie Parks are added. Smaller parks get added if they have enough rides for adults also like Kiddieland. Or these types of parks will be added if Robb and Elissa visit them.

We'll add defunct attractions if they are unique. Remember we are not trying to chronicalize the parks' history in the ride listing, but instead give people an understand of what they can expect at the park. We leave defunct coasters in the park index, because everyone loves coasters.

We try to leave the legacy stuff in the nostaglia thread and it can also "live" in older PTRs.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:21 am

I know that this will take more work for the overlord, but has any thought been given to doing a little park history blurb, or separating the coasters/rides into existing/defunct categories?

Perhaps the overlord needs a minion or two?

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:46 am

Awesome work as always Larry. Thanks for keeping the index up and running!

Oh and I bet there are some new postcards in the nostalgia sections. ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!