Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

P. 831 - Harley Quinn Spinsanity Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What's with the donkeys anyway?

Re: Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Postby Hershey_flags » Wed May 29, 2019 7:37 pm

Not sure if you are aware of this, but Batwing is closed until further notice. Everything else should be up and running for you tomorrow. Have a great time and make sure to get lots of rides on Superman and Wild One!

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby BDD27 » Wed May 29, 2019 7:51 pm

Yeah, I heard thanks for the update though I'm curious what the deal is with it, but I have been on Firehawk so it's not a huge loss.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby JG-77 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:17 pm

I’d say go for it. IMO, it’s a fun spot to spend half a day or so at. Generally low crowds and good rides. Most of my visits have been positive. Operations are often slow (especially food) but I’ve rarely waited more than 15-20 min for anything in the dry park excluding Wonder Woman, Ragin Cajun, and Batwing, even on crowded days.

A few tips to consider:
-Ride Superman in the very front, preferably the red train if possible
-Batwing is fun and intense IMO, but too rough for some, though it will probably be down for your visit anyway. If it is open, ride it as early as you can, the line for that ride can easily reach 45 min if it’s down the steps and through a switchback or two and on one train, due to very long dispatch times.
-I like Wild One best in 2nd to back. If you’re riding alone, ride in the left seat. If with a partner, the larger person should be in the left if possible. You’ll thank me on the helix.
-RC is fun IMO, but if the queue is mostly full, you’re looking at a 45 min wait based on my experiences, which isn’t worth it. If not riding with a partner, push down against the slopes metal plate by your feet to avoid awkwardly sliding around in the car.
-Ride Firebird in or at least near the back row, preferably an inner seat
-JJ is good anywhere on the train, but I find it most intense in the front
-The drop tower is short but has a good kick to it
-The show near the Wild West section was cheesy/goofy fun that I personally enjoyed
-The fries and onion ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings side at Jonny Rockets is a snack on the dining pass and is a generous portion (by Six Flags standards).
-If it winds up being crowded and you park way in the back (doubt it since it’s a weekday in May), don’t take the tram, just walk.
-I wouldn’t ride the penguin raft ride if I were you.
-If you want shade, go to the looney toon kids area near RC and the kiddie coaster
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Highridin » Thu May 30, 2019 4:14 am

^^JG just said it all. Though, I'll say ops are moving quite good this year, but sometimes it depends on the crowds. More people=faster ops.

Also, if you want the Mind Eraser credit, ride only in the front or second row. On Roar, the best ride is 3 seats from the back.

If you plan on going to the water park, and actually don't want to rush, plan on an entire day.

I actually enjoy every food place there, but I recommend going to the saloon to have brisket or pulled pork, while watching the show that they put on in there. It's a good production.

If you are doing any drinking, Hurricanes in Mardi Gras is the place to go. Good music and atmosphere. Also, the place by the wave pool is a great place to have a brew.

Ride Cyclone. Probably the best scrambler that I've ridden, especially when talking about the ride cycle.
Top 3 steel: Skyrush, Twisted Timbers, I305
Top 3 wood: El Toro, Twister, Wild One

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Highridin » Thu May 30, 2019 4:18 am

Forgot something. Superman is great in front, but nothing like the back which is outstanding. Also, I've found that Firebird in the 5th and 4th rows, right seat are the best rides.
Top 3 steel: Skyrush, Twisted Timbers, I305
Top 3 wood: El Toro, Twister, Wild One

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby Jason Maier » Fri May 31, 2019 10:55 am

Hershey_flags wrote:Not sure if you are aware of this, but Batwing is closed until further notice. Everything else should be up and running for you tomorrow. Have a great time and make sure to get lots of rides on Superman and Wild One!

No great loss for me, dispatch times on it are quite slow . . . . I'm assuming it's down because a part has to be ordered?

Wonder if we'll be hearing come August something along the lines of "Batwing will be closing and something else is going to be in it's place?"

From what I've read, wasn't Batwing the best of the 3 Flying Dutchman's?

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby JG-77 » Fri May 31, 2019 11:11 am

I’ve generally heard that Firehawk was the best, but I’ve only been on Batwing (which I personally like).
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Postby Hershey_flags » Fri May 31, 2019 11:48 am

I doubt Batwing will be removed after this season. It has a few more years left in it especially with the closing of Firehawk. Next year’s addition is most likely going where Dare Devil Dive used to be.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby StarWars » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:48 am

It dawned on me recently that Batwing was the last brand new roller coaster added to Six Flags (not counting the relocations of Apocalypse/Firebird and Ragin' Cajun). That was 18 years ago.

Postby Hershey_flags » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:01 pm

While that is true, I honestly don’t think it matters that much since the park has a lot of coasters for the size of the park. Plus, they added Superman, Joker’s Jinx, Batwing, and Roar all within a short period of time. What they have been doing lately is very smart since they are going around the park and trying to fix some of the worst parts of the park. First with Southwest Territory then with the waterpark. While most of the people here complained about the Wahoo River addition, it was such a great idea since it was one of the worst if not THE worst lazy river. The next focus for them I think is going to be a Gotham CIty makeover starting off with the addition of a Zamperla Frisbee.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!