Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

P. 831 - Harley Quinn Spinsanity Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What's with the donkeys anyway?

Re: Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Postby Trackmaster » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:46 pm

CoasterLover wrote:
Trackmaster wrote:1. Heavily themed attractions tend to be more expensive than outside thrill rides with "implied" theming. The attential to detail, development, getting everything together is just generally more expenisve than plopping down a flat ride or other basic attraction that's less involved than a roller coaster.

Six Flags has already shown they are willing to invest in dark rides with the Justice League attractions they built. As such, they must feel that such attractions are a worthy enough investment, even at a park where the cost of a season pass can be <$100 per year. Further, similar to roller coasters, dark rides can be cloned and designed to fit in a minimal footprint accessible to multiple parks allowing the design costs and production costs to be spread over multiple parks/installations. I'm not expecting/asking for a completely original attraction with a crazy queue to rival Disney/Universal. All I'm saying is that if the Mall of America can build a flying theater type attraction, there's no reason Six Flags couldn't as well (especially if the plan was to put it in multiple parks).

Trackmaster wrote:2. Themed attractions are not as re-ridable, as you understand the plotline early on and get the trick after awhile.

That's debatable. I find an attraction like DarKastle at BGE, Spiderman at IOA, or Flight of Passage at DAK to be exceptionally re-ridable. Further, with a screen based attraction, if you do feel there is an issue with attrition, you can simply change up the film/motions and have (essentially) a completely new experience. On top of that, SFA currently has VERY little you can do while it's raining and limited options for when it is cold. Having a dark ride would give guests at least SOMETHING to do under those conditions.

Interesting point. I do agree that over time, I've become more appreciative of better theming and more rides with immersive storylines. If SF could figure out how to make them in a cost effective way, they could be great additions to the park.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:32 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:The season pass Flash Sale occurs around Labor Day. I'm not sure if a similar sale will be used for the memberships since they're new.

Six Flags claims that the current membership rate at any given time will always be the lowest available. I'd be leery of taking them at their word, though, since it's Six Flags. In fact, I think they actually waffled and said something characteristically silly like "Of course, we might put them on sale someday, it's just that right now we think we won't."
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:44 pm

^ That's true. :lol:
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Rayj » Sun May 06, 2018 4:50 pm

Maybe it’s just the gray train that was barely used last year, but Batwing definitely felt rougher. I felt like I was getting a back massage the whole ride.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby JG-77 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:11 pm

I know that lots of people would disagree, but I've never had much of a problem with Batwing (excluding the operations, which are abysmal). The roughness and restraints has never bothered me the way it bothers some people, and I find the ride to be fun with some nice whip in some parts and a fun dose of intensity on the loop. It's actually one of my favorite rides at SFA, but if you disagree, that's fine.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Postby cal1br3tto » Sun May 06, 2018 6:07 pm

^Nah, it's one of my top rides at SFA as well--never really had a problem with those Vekoma flyers, though like you I've been seeing much more hate than praise again lately. They don't have the signature pretzel loop of B&M flyers, but on their own merits they're fun and pretty intense. Definitely one of the coaster types I have on my list of "favorite Vekomas," not that there's much competition!
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Rayj » Sun May 06, 2018 6:35 pm

I still think Batwing is a decent flyer (better than the Superman clones), but I just noticed an unusual rattle/vibration throughout the whole ride with the gray train. The purple train is just fine though.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby JG-77 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:38 pm

Does Batwing ever run two trains? I've only seen it run one before, even when everything else was running two (It was a Saturday).
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun May 06, 2018 8:34 pm

Rayj wrote:I still think Batwing is a decent flyer (better than the Superman clones), but I just noticed an unusual rattle/vibration throughout the whole ride with the gray train. The purple train is just fine though.

I've ridden all three flying dutchmans in the US and my ride a few weeks back on Batwing seemed to rattle more than the others. I don't recall it being that bad when I rode Batwing originally in 2012.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby SLCHeadache » Mon May 07, 2018 7:06 am

JG-77 wrote:Does Batwing ever run two trains? I've only seen it run one before, even when everything else was running two (It was a Saturday).

On April 28th, I saw it running two trains and loading both stations, only for it to break down shortly afterwards.

I prefer Batwing over Superman Gadv. Superman OG at least has the landscaping on its side. Batwing felt much more like Superman than Nighthawk in terms of smoothness.
Top steel: Millennium Force / Steel Vengeance / Intimidator 305 / Maverick / Fury 325
Top wood: El Toro / Phoenix / GhostRider / Renegade / Flying Turns

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!