Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

P. 771 - Firebird Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Postby bill_s » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:42 am

^^-- they leased all or part of the land for Kentucky Kingdom. The Darien Lake property is worth less. SFA's property increases in value more or less constantly. The value of the company increases, it's just not cash.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby MisterBrow » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:37 am

boldikus wrote:Only the SFA thread can go from "What new coasters do you think we're gonna get" to "They're probably gonna sell this park" in less than 2 pages. :lol: :lol:

:lmao:

Legoland NY is being blocked because they can't cut down trees. SF can sell SFA and turn it into the northeast Legoland. There is a synergy when it comes to trees.
Meister Brau just wants a path from CC to SM at SFA, meal plan burrito, some shade, and a restroom back there.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Trackmaster » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:58 am

bill_s wrote:^^-- I wasn't thinking it would necessarily end up being a Six Flags with my combination idea -- I really don't know how it would work. It just seemed odd to be talking about putting in bars and other entertainments in place of an amusement park when there's malls with coasters in them. Screwed up priorities! But, money.

I started talking about sale of the property in trying to explain what could be going on. Of course there's even some possibility they don't put much in SFA because they know the park inherently becomes unpleasant when crowded and it just increases the "reputation" issues. Or maybe Six Flags is trying different ways to run parks, it's even starting to work.... I don't think Six Flags is in a hurry to sell the place even if they see it in the future. I just think it could be a factor in their decisions that the land it is on is more valuable than usual (and relatively unspectacular as well).

But if you think about it, the way to curtail the "reputation" issue is to make the park more upscale, and a better destination park, so that you can charge a lot more. Really, what kills SFA is how cheap the season passes are. The sticker price for a single day admission isn't that low. Then after discounts, the price comes to within a range that it's expected and reasonable. But when you have a season pass that's $10 more than the sticker price of a single admission ticket, it just gives lower income families a cheap babysitting option for the summer. And those kids just cause trouble and don't spend money at the park. The business reason for why they give away the season passes is to get people into the park more so they'll buy food, pay for the parking, and pay for the games, etc. But obviously you're not getting that with that customer base.

The best way for SFA to be more solvent, would be to either do away with the season passes, or price them at 4-5 times the price of a single day ticket, and maybe throw in a coupon book to make it a little more appealing.

And not that I've seen any park do this, but I think it would also be a cool idea if they required any kid under the age of 18 to be accompanied by an adult. It would help save the park from liability, and help curtail the mischief and misbehavior. Also encourage a customer base that has disposable money to spend.

Postby Trackmaster » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:07 am

bill_s wrote:^^-- I wasn't thinking it would necessarily end up being a Six Flags with my combination idea -- I really don't know how it would work. It just seemed odd to be talking about putting in bars and other entertainments in place of an amusement park when there's malls with coasters in them. Screwed up priorities! But, money.

I started talking about sale of the property in trying to explain what could be going on. Of course there's even some possibility they don't put much in SFA because they know the park inherently becomes unpleasant when crowded and it just increases the "reputation" issues. Or maybe Six Flags is trying different ways to run parks, it's even starting to work.... I don't think Six Flags is in a hurry to sell the place even if they see it in the future. I just think it could be a factor in their decisions that the land it is on is more valuable than usual (and relatively unspectacular as well).

I wouldn't assume it has much to do anything within the box that you're thinking of. A lot of it probably has to do with zoning and clauses buried within the contracts that SFI has. If they rent the space from a real estate holding company, they have to fulfill their leasing agreement. If they own the land, they have to use the land for what it is zoned for unless they get a board to approve the re-zoning of the area. They could probably sell the park to another company to run it as an amusement park, and would probably take less approval from the city government, but then you're back to square one: if you don't want it, why would somebody else?

As I was saying, SFI had an agreement in their contract when they owned Six Flags New Orleans that they would keep the park up and running in exchange for the rights to owning the land. Obviously Katrina, and SFI saw that as their excuse to abandon an underperforming park. New Orleans disagreed and tried to get them to honor their agreement and rebuild the park, but SFI has ignored that since then. It seems like for now New Orleans declined to go through litigation for now.

I'm not sure if that's a standard practice in these operating agreements, but I wouldn't be surprised. Housing and hotels and office buildings tend to be an easier and more profitable business venture in tourist areas or major cities, but you could argue that they can't profit as easily without nearby attractions. So a city has a vested interest in keeping attractive attractions up and running. They'd rather keep the housing stock more competitive and lure in businesses and attractions. Businesses usually pay more in taxes and use fewer city resources.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby bill_s » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:19 pm

^^-- in my post back on Tuesday, I did say "possibly the whole area would need to become more dense to the point of changes in government attitudes to make it worthwhile."

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby Highridin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:09 pm

But if you think about it, the way to curtail the "reputation" issue is to make the park more upscale, and a better destination park, so that you can charge a lot more. Really, what kills SFA is how cheap the season passes are. The sticker price for a single day admission isn't that low. Then after discounts, the price comes to within a range that it's expected and reasonable. But when you have a season pass that's $10 more than the sticker price of a single admission ticket, it just gives lower income families a cheap babysitting option for the summer. And those kids just cause trouble and don't spend money at the park. The business reason for why they give away the season passes is to get people into the park more so they'll buy food, pay for the parking, and pay for the games, etc. But obviously you're not getting that with that customer base.

The best way for SFA to be more solvent, would be to either do away with the season passes, or price them at 4-5 times the price of a single day ticket, and maybe throw in a coupon book to make it a little more appealing.

And not that I've seen any park do this, but I think it would also be a cool idea if they required any kid under the age of 18 to be accompanied by an adult. It would help save the park from liability, and help curtail the mischief and misbehavior. Also encourage a customer base that has disposable money to spend.

If they did anything close to this stupidity, it's definitely goodbye SFA.
The top 3: Twisted Timbers, El Toro, Volcano

Postby Trackmaster » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:28 am

Highridin wrote:

If they did anything close to this stupidity, it's definitely goodbye SFA.

Well thanks for calling my idea stupid without even providing justifications for it. I postsed a well thought out multi-paragraph business plan while you spouted out a sentence of vulgarity. Way to go.

I ask dumb questions.

Postby djackson » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:24 am

^ You're saying that Six Flags should raise the price of a season pass by 4-5 times what it currently is. It's stupid because six flags would go from selling passes to an absurd amount of people to selling them to a much lower amount of people. The current pass price is about 70-80 bucks and your saying that they should raise that price to around 400 dollars. At that price point you'd pretty much only have enthusiasts willing to put that type of money up.
My Home park is Six Flags America
Coaster Count: 80 (I'm getting there lol)
Top 10: 1.I305 2.S:TR 3.SkyRush 4.El Toro 5.Valravn 6.WindexCyanide 7.B:TR 8.KK 9. Mineblower 10. Volcano
Instagram:kvng_coasters
YouTube: Kvng Of Coasters

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 pm

djackson wrote:The current pass price is about 70-80 bucks and your saying that they should raise that price to around 400 dollars. At that price point you'd pretty much only have enthusiasts willing to put that type of money up.

LMAO speak for yourself. :lol: :lol:

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby CoasterAuditor » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:43 pm

No way would I ever pay $400 for a season pass to SFA. Or even most amusement parks for that matter.
I'm an accountant that's obsessed with roller coasters
Knoebels > Everywhere

1. El Toro 2. Intimidator 305 3. Phoenix 4. Millennium Force 5. New Texas Giant

118 Coasters
16 Parks

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!