SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 608: Craft Beer Festival & Jack Hanna Weekend report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby RollerManic » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:09 am

coasterbill wrote:Yeah I don't know about "undisputed", I love Mako to death but I can think of quite a few coasters in Florida I prefer. To each his own though. I could absolutely see why someone would find Mako the best coaster in Florida. I definitely prefer a handful of coasters at BGT, Mummy, a certain yeti infested mountain at Animal Kingdom and a flying coaster on the other side of the same park but that's just me. ;)

Then again... I'm awful at ranking coasters. If you ask me what my favorite coaster in Florida is every day for 3 days you might get 3 different answers between Montu, Kumba and Everest. It's insane how many awesome coasters and rides are all located within 90 minutes of each other and I'm jealous of everyone that lives there.

I should have said it as I would have no problem with the statement. I find myself asking the same questions often. Although I do feel confidently that Mako is the best "traditional" coaster in at least Florida. Several other themed coasters at Disney and Universal are BETTER rides I think but they are a completely different ride experience so I tend to exclude them.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Trackmaster » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:25 am

RollerManic wrote:
coasterbill wrote:Yeah I don't know about "undisputed", I love Mako to death but I can think of quite a few coasters in Florida I prefer. To each his own though. I could absolutely see why someone would find Mako the best coaster in Florida. I definitely prefer a handful of coasters at BGT, Mummy, a certain yeti infested mountain at Animal Kingdom and a flying coaster on the other side of the same park but that's just me. ;)

Then again... I'm awful at ranking coasters. If you ask me what my favorite coaster in Florida is every day for 3 days you might get 3 different answers between Montu, Kumba and Everest. It's insane how many awesome coasters and rides are all located within 90 minutes of each other and I'm jealous of everyone that lives there.

I should have said it as I would have no problem with the statement. I find myself asking the same questions often. Although I do feel confidently that Mako is the best "traditional" coaster in at least Florida. Several other themed coasters at Disney and Universal are BETTER rides I think but they are a completely different ride experience so I tend to exclude them.

I feel like Disney and Universal are both very fun start to stop experiences throughout the whole day, but they don't exactly have coasters I can point to and say "these are world class great coasters." Disney has a lot of interesting experiences, shows, and interactive attractions that add up to a great day at the park. The rides are enjoyable for most part too. But if you plopped a ride of Thunder Mountain or Rock n' Roller Coaster in the middle of a basic Six Flags park as "Joker: the Jinx of Doom" with a parking lot in the background, you'd be bored pretty easily. I like Space Mountain, but I don't feel comfortable giving it a ranking of any sort.

And for Universal, the Hulk is great, as is RRR but besides that, none of the coasters really stand out. But again, with all that there is to do there, I can still have very fun days there.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:17 am

I’ll be headed to Sea World this August for the first time since 2000. All this coaster talk has me excited. Ive heard about how great Manta is, but Mako sure has the most of my curiosity.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Postby Trackmaster » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:02 pm

Jcoaster wrote:I’ll be headed to Sea World this August for the first time since 2000. All this coaster talk has me excited. Ive heard about how great Manta is, but Mako sure has the most of my curiosity.

I think that Kraken was pretty rough though. It'll be interesting to see what you think as you rode it back when it was new. I heard it was great years ago.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby KarlaKoaster » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:07 pm

I love Seaworld's coasters, they have a really solid collection. I rode Kraken in its first year, and I also rode it last year. It seemed fine to me in terms of roughness. Perhaps the train you rode needed a service, although I am short so maybe that helps. Mako is really fun but one of the weaker B&M hypers I've ridden. Manta I absolutely adore, although my boobs disagree.

Postby Trackmaster » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:16 pm

KarlaKoaster wrote:I love Seaworld's coasters, they have a really solid collection. I rode Kraken in its first year, and I also rode it last year. It seemed fine to me in terms of roughness. Perhaps the train you rode needed a service, although I am short so maybe that helps. Mako is really fun but one of the weaker B&M hypers I've ridden. Manta I absolutely adore, although my boobs disagree.

Did you ride Mako in the back? Its definitely a back of the seat coaster. And I've been out of the game for several years, so I haven't ridden the new wave of B&M coasters. Maybe if you've ridden a bunch of them, its pretty ordinary for you now.

And for Kraken, maybe I just have a lower threshold for my tolerance for roughness.

And I thought Manta was great. I respected the ride for sure. But for some reason, I didn't really want to spam re-rides on it with no lines like I did for Mako. I think I just really didn't like when you dangle on the last block on your chest before they let you back in the station.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby KarlaKoaster » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:19 pm

Trackmaster wrote:Did you ride Mako in the back? Its definitely a back of the seat coaster. And I've been out of the game for several years, so I haven't ridden the new wave of B&M coasters. Maybe if you've ridden a bunch of them, its pretty ordinary for you now.

I think I rode it in most seats. I really enjoyed it and it's a great coaster. I don't think I'd ever describe it as ordinary, and honestly even the worst B&M hyper is still really good, but it wasn't my favourite B&M hyper for sure.

Trackmaster wrote:And I thought Manta was great. I respected the ride for sure. But for some reason, I didn't really want to spam re-rides on it with no lines like I did for Mako. I think I just really didn't like when you dangle on the last block on your chest before they let you back in the station.

Yes I agree it definitely doesn't have the reride value of Mako. I did do Mako probably about 20 times when I was there, and Manta about 4 or 5. It honestly blew me away, but I totally agree that it's not comfortable enough to marathon!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:45 pm

Trackmaster wrote:I visited this park yesterday and everything was an absolute walk on. Ironically I brought the quick queue, and it was so worthless that the line attendants stopped even checking. I pretty much only used it so that I walk in through the shorter queue and not walk by unused queue lines.

That's definitely a minor side benefit if you end up having made a bad call. Still saves a bit of walking and eliminates switchback-related awkwardness; it's a nice change of pace even though walking through queues isn't a huge burden.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:25 am

I went to SWO Monday of last week with my kids, and we had an absolutely amazing day! BGT was my favorite Florida park before, but after our visit to Sea World this time, I'm thinking it may just be this park now! I think the addition of Mako, which is a simply fantastic coaster, really helps tip the scales, and rounds out the park so well! Infinity Falls will only further that experience, though it will also be a bit similar to JTA in some ways. Regardless, I look forward to going on that next time we're in Florida!

Getting back to Mako, we got a handful of rides on it, both in the very front, and also the very back, and it just delivered a stellar ride everywhere! :airtime: We even got a no trim ride on the return, our first ride of the day! It's a tough call, but in the end, I'd say Mako ekes out Behemoth and Diamondback among the B&M Hypers I've ridden (which is pretty much all of the North American ones, except Goliath). That means that every coaster at SWO, is my favorite coaster of that type, which is an amazing distinction for a park that is first and foremost an aquatic park!

Speaking of those animals, we did both the Dolphin show (my favorite animal), and the Killer Whale show, and they were both fantastic, as is to be expected! I made the mistake of sitting in the Splash Zone for the latter, and paid for it with wet clothes. But it's all part of the experience, really, so I didn't mind too much!

Kraken, a longtime favorite coaster of mine, is still awesome to me! And thankfully, no more VR! :b Sure, it's a little more rattly than it used to be, but it still runs pretty well in my opinion, and I just love its layout, SO much!

And of course when it comes to Manta, it's just a perfect example of what a Flying coaster should be, and definitely one of the most underrated coasters out there (as my sig below says!)

Crowds were minimal, the weather was beautiful, and a great day was had by all! What more could you ask for? Sea World is definitely my favorite Orlando area park, and yes, I'm aware of certain mouse, and spinning globe themed parks nearby! ;)

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:26 am

Glad you had fun! If SeaWorld isn't my favorite Orlando park it's right up there so I totally get where you're coming from. They have a beautiful setting, awesome marine animals, a great beer selection and great coasters and they're busy rehabilitating injured and sick animals in the back while you're busy riding them so I mean... what more do you want?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!