SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 628: Ice Breaker launched coaster for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby Jalek » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:33 am

Martin Savidge is the lead reporter covering SeaWorld and Blackfish for CNN. He turned in some pretty good, well rounded pieces on the issue right up until the film's airing, but after that it switched over to fluff pieces, like the bands cancelling and the girl getting her school to cancel the field trip.

So Mr. Savidge, who I usually respect, posted this yesterday on his twitter account:

Martin Savidge ‏@MartinSavidge
@chrisbellows we make money from all the news we report. It's a business. Just as is SeaWorld.

Then, there's this HUGE error he made (on another subject), which he and CNN had to apologize for.

Ah, CNN. The network that told us there were three shooters in the Washington Navy Yard and they were all Muslim.

Please bring back the integrity.

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:50 am

Sooooo...how 'bout that Kraken, eh?

No? Maybe Manta, then? ....anyone?

I am still waiting for CNN to compare whales to a baby stroller or something.

That's more of a Fox News type of comparison, to be honest, haha.

All of this Blackfish nonsense really seems to have hit its fever pitch. I predict it will soon leave the public eye when the armchair (uneducated) activists find something else to rabble about. Like the latest Duck Dynasty.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:52 am

KBrylczyk wrote:Sooooo...how 'bout that Kraken, eh?

...they're both pretty good coasters...um...

Any 2014/15 rumors?...anyone?... :oops:
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby goatdan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:59 am

geaugadan wrote:I don't see SeaWorld, any zoo, Circus, or animal performance for that matter, being around in 50 years, and here's why. It can often be more damning for someone to hit a dog than to hit a person, or for cattle to be treated, well, like cattle.

I do. And I think that it is ridiculously important that these sorts of things stay around.

I'll preface this by saying that I've only been to Sea World once, it was Sea World Ohio back in the day, and I only vaguely remember it.

But things like Sea World, Zoos, Circuses and so on are where we help to introduce animals to the world. I have a three year old son. He regularly claims that he wants to be an elephant keeper when he grows up (and a baseball player too). He has a cheetah poster in his room, and he loves going to visit them at the zoo. He talks about giraffes regularly. He can tell you the difference between a monkey and an ape. It's amazing.

He also wants to go visit these animals in the wild. He asks questions about what types of places these animals live.

He wouldn't give a flying fart about the wild animals if he couldn't see the animals at the zoo. There is a HUGE difference between seeing them on the TV and seeing them in real life. And maybe (probably) he won't be an elephant keeper when he grows up... but maybe he'll save money to go visit Africa to see real wild elephants, helping to save those animals with his tourism dollars. Or, maybe he'll donate $5 toward saving the rain forest in the future because he cares about the apes *like the ones he sees at the zoo* so their well being becomes something that he is personally invested in.

In a day and age where so much of our lives is becoming more and more digital, finding the real things that we can connect to is insanely important, and these animals are truly ambassadors for their species. If it isn't for them, who knows what happens to them.

Without Sea World and institutions like Sea World, the world would have a lot less money for the saving of these creatures, and a lot less people who care if we do or not. While making sure that they are treated as humanely as possible will continue to be a challenge, it will be done because those people really truly do care about these creatures.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:30 pm

Love it love it love it! I do not agree with this movie. Anyone with common sense would see that Seaworld, zoos, and many other nature centers/experiences all do wonders for what we learn from the world around us.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:19 pm

Not sure of the validity of it, but according to a story on Facebook, blackfish was voted one of the 10 worst films of the year.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:37 pm

thrillrider wrote:Not sure of the validity of it, but according to a story on Facebook, blackfish was voted one of the 10 worst films of the year.

Well you gotta admit as a movie it's really bad. One-sided plot. Over-exaggerated fluff. Over-dramatized moments. And its sole purpose is to drum up hate and angst amongest stupid people at any company that doesn't agree with their narrow-minded short-sighted viewpoints.

A 90 minute shot of a jar of mayonnaise would be more entertaining.

The Resident Vegetarian Hippie

Postby Hercules » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:56 pm

DanM64 wrote:
larrygator wrote:When do the petitions begin to stop supporting businesses that only pay minimum wage versus a living wage?

We could easily shut down 90% of companies.

:nina:
Why don't all these people fight for something that is actually a problem?

I'm never a fan of this argument. It is based on opinion what a problem is. I'll list a few problems off of the top of my head:

Lack of fair wages for women
The raping of women in African nations
Child sexual abuse
Poverty in the United States
Killing of dogs and cats and other animals via gas chambers and heart sticks in shelters

Ok, so there are 5 things that are probably agreed upon to be legitimate problems in the world (at least 3- 4 of them depending on your views). I may be an animal activist, but here are other things I also do with my time:

Advocate for fair working wages for all genders
Donate to organizations committed to ending rape in African nations
Donate to the Salvation Army, Red Cross and Toys for Tots
Started a non-profit animal rescue, ended gas chamber usage in 3 rural shelters, and speak out against the use of gas chambers and other forms of euthanasia through out the United States (some people don't consider this animal activism because these are domesticated animals)
I am in the process of starting a non-profit organization to help provide money to men for therapy who were sexually abused as a child. I'm also going to be working with a local amusement park to have a day for these men to go and have fun and enjoy a day like a child, like they may not have been able to do during their childhood. As a victim of child sexual abuse from the time I was 3-12, and psychological abuse until about 17, this is a case dear to my heart.

So, although animal rights are very dear to me as well, it is not the only thing that I give all of my time to. And YES I do consider the inhumane treatment of animals a PROBLEM. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, or if they think I am wasting my time. Not all animal activists "waste" their time on this problem 100% of the time. I believe a lot are like me and care about many causes, and don't just sit on their asses and actually do something (I'm not hyping myself up or saying I am more moral or holy than anyone else by making that comment, I'm just bothered by people that sit around and do nothing for the world other than fill airspace with their complaints and don't do anything about what they are complaining about).

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm going to quote my friend again because I just think it sums up, at least my thoughts on this whole thing, perfectly....

Fact. The blackfish side is strictly focusing only on the problems of the past. SeaWorld is strictly focusing on the solutions of the future. That's the difference between haters and lovers.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Jonathan15 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:41 pm

Sooooo...how 'bout that Kraken, eh?

...they're both pretty good coasters...um...

Any 2014/15 rumors?...anyone?...

Hello, everybody! :)

I love SWO and would hope that a launch comes to SWO in 2016.

-Jon

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!