SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 626: Electric Ocean Media Kick-Off Report Posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby rolercstrluvr » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:20 pm

Definitely an eye opener, my gf and I watched the movie last night and I was just astounded with what Sea World is doing. I can say that the incident at Loro Parque could have been prevented, that park wasn't ready to take on killer whales. Even the tanks were to small, all because the owner didn't want to shut down the tanks to have them be proper tanks. And even in the movie they didn't say how that trainer died, all they did say (actually his wife), that it looked like his chest had exploded.
Gold Striker Ride count: 435

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby geaugadan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Maybe an unpopular view here, but is it not possible that SeaWorld is simply on the wrong side of history? Regardless of how well SeaWorld treats its animals (I'll admit, pretty well for what its worth), and no matter how educational it is (SeaWorld Camp Class of 1999 here), I don't see SeaWorld, any zoo, Circus, or animal performance for that matter, being around in 50 years, and here's why. It can often be more damning for someone to hit a dog than to hit a person, or for cattle to be treated, well, like cattle. Culturally, westerners have started to treat different species with a sense of individuality, with all creatures entitled to a bit of self-determination. Whether or not you agree with this, I think this shift is what will be the undoing of these forms of entertainment. Sometimes it seems to me that SeaWorld has already taken this cultural shift to heart, focusing more on roller coasters and other attractions that are just barely related to the ocean and its living contents. I love SeaWorld, and miss the years I spent living within 20 minutes of one, but I just don't see it being to cultural force it once used to be for much longer.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:40 pm

geaugadan wrote:Sometimes it seems to me that SeaWorld has already taken this cultural shift to heart, focusing more on roller coasters and other attractions that are just barely related to the ocean and its living contents.

What?

SeaWorld Orlando just spent millions on a new penguin habitat this year. Last year they opened up a new sea turtle exhibit along with upgraded the manatees area. SeaWorld San Antonio just debuted a new animal show this year. All three SeaWorld parks premiered a new Shamu show only two years ago. And I think all the parks are promoting seasonal events which revolve around holiday versions of their popular animal shows.

Sure, they are building rides and roller coasters, but I actually don't see them shifting away from animal exhibits, not in the slightest.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:18 pm.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby CoasterKings908 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:10 pm

Woodie Warrior wrote:That is the best response to Blackfish I've read.

I agree!!!
"I'm more enthusiastic for theme parks and crap than a six-year-old is for Christmas!"

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:40 pm

geaugadan wrote:Maybe an unpopular view here, but is it not possible that SeaWorld is simply on the wrong side of history?

This is one of those meaningless buzzword phrases that I really wish would die in a fire.

Call me crazy, but I don't think anyone besides Blackfish's makers/supporters are going to look back with even the smallest bit of regret at all the good SeaWorld has done for animals and all the additional awareness SeaWorld has generated within the mass populace.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby crl1969 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:03 pm

robbalvey wrote:
geaugadan wrote:Sometimes it seems to me that SeaWorld has already taken this cultural shift to heart, focusing more on roller coasters and other attractions that are just barely related to the ocean and its living contents.

What?

SeaWorld Orlando just spent millions on a new penguin habitat this year. SeaWorld San Antonio just debuted a new animal show this year. All three SeaWorld parks premiered a new Shamu show only two years ago. And I think all the parks are promoting seasonal events which revolve around holiday versions of their popular animal shows.

Sure, they are building rides and roller coasters, but I actually don't see them shifting away from animal exhibits, not in the slightest.

I was thinking the same thing when I read this "what?" as a regular orlando visitor, I finally was able to take my 18 year old niece in November, she loves rollercoasters like me. we hit all the parks and all the rides and she had the time of her life, but the things she is still talking about are feeding and touching dolphins and stingrays, feeding sharks and sea lions, and how touching the shows were.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby B&MBoy1982 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:05 pm

robbalvey wrote:

What?

SeaWorld Orlando just spent millions on a new penguin habitat this year. Last year they opened up a new sea turtle exhibit along with upgraded the manatees area. SeaWorld San Antonio just debuted a new animal show this year. All three SeaWorld parks premiered a new Shamu show only two years ago. And I think all the parks are promoting seasonal events which revolve around holiday versions of their popular animal shows.

To add to what Robb said, both Manta roller coasters debuted with new aquariums throughout the queues. Busch Gardens Tampa opened a new Cheetah enclosure with it's newest roller coaster.

I think the parks realize the time has come to add more thrilling attractions. They do a beautiful job incorporating the attractions and exhibits together.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Kumba9 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:00 pm

That was a really good article!

"SeaWorld is not educational".

Excuse me? The top leading research done on both killer whales and other cetaceans comes from SeaWorld sponsored research. Most of what we know today about these animals has been learned from animals in captivity.

I've noticed that some of the CNN coverage is dying down with other news events becoming front page and with Christmas/New Years around the corner. By the start of the New Year, this topic (Blackfish vs. Sea World) will die down in the news and the only thing keeping the story alive is the bands removing themselves from the B-B&BBQ event.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Maybe an unpopular view here, but is it not possible that SeaWorld is simply on the wrong side of history? Regardless of how well SeaWorld treats its animals (I'll admit, pretty well for what its worth), and no matter how educational it is (SeaWorld Camp Class of 1999 here), I don't see SeaWorld, any zoo, Circus, or animal performance for that matter, being around in 50 years, and here's why. It can often be more damning for someone to hit a dog than to hit a person, or for cattle to be treated, well, like cattle. Culturally, westerners have started to treat different species with a sense of individuality, with all creatures entitled to a bit of self-determination. Whether or not you agree with this, I think this shift is what will be the undoing of these forms of entertainment. Sometimes it seems to me that SeaWorld has already taken this cultural shift to heart, focusing more on roller coasters and other attractions that are just barely related to the ocean and its living contents. I love SeaWorld, and miss the years I spent living within 20 minutes of one, but I just don't see it being to cultural force it once used to be for much longer.

The Eagles gave Michael Vick another huge contract after he willfully hosted dog fights at his house. America doesn't really care about animals to the point where they will be given the same rights as humans. The majority of people simply care about what is the hot item at the time...anyone remember the KONY 2012 stuff?

Postby Wes » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:51 pm

People will boycott Seaworld until Seaworld builds something their kids want to see/ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!