SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 628: Ice Breaker launched coaster for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 33697
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Swimming in the Ocean
Gender: Female
Age: 38

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby SharkTums » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:10 pm

^See but here's the thing, I respect your opinion and side of things because we know from your previous posts over years that you've always been an animal rights guy and are against all of this stuff across the board.

What I don't respect is all of these flyby night sudden animal activists JUST harping on SeaWorld when there are a million other zoos, petting farms, aquariums, etc. out there that are much worse.

It's like those fair weather fan sports people!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.
User avatar
 
Posts: 562
Joined: 21 Mar 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Gender: Male
Age: 36

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby Intaman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Of course there are groups against zoos, circuses, etc. I never implied/suggested otherwise. If there is no genuine motive/cause behind the movie, what is its motive? It certainly brings attention to one example of animals in captivity. However, there are zoos, circuses, etc. that also confine animals. What should those who watch the film do afterward? Schools cancel field trips to Sea World, but do they also cancel trips to zoos? Do they teach children to avoid a future career as a zookeeper? This seems like a "flavor of the week" type documentary that is produced by somebody who supposedly could care less about the issue.

It does seem to create a bevy of these people who supposedly and suddenly care about these animals. (like the schools). Where were they before? Nothing against your opinion, but I think if I was to boycott Sea World, I would have to go "all in" and do the same for any type of animal exploitation. But, I don't think Peruvians will stop eating guinea pigs any time soon. I think there is nothing wrong with creating healthy living spaces for these animals, but if Sea World goes down, every zoo, petting zoo, aquarium, and circus needs to do the same.
Image

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"
User avatar
 
Posts: 10818
Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Location: Northridge, CA
Gender: Male
Age: 34

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:40 pm

There are movements and campaigns against zoos and circus performers and everything else you had mentioned, not just against SeaWorld. And the director of the film is already on record as saying that she had no real intention of making the film pro x or x in either way and she does not side with either side.


This is my biggest problem with the film. It is very clear the controversy the film created is exactly what the director and CNN wanted to have happen. We wouldn't be having this discussion and people wouldn't be reacting so passionately if the documentary was merely meant to be an educational piece (See Ken Burns as an example of someone who can produce documentaries without controversy). So I don't buy that for a second.

Ultimately, as with everything else in life---there are legitimate pros and cons to the things Sea World does. There is no right or wrong answer, because there is an argument and counter-argument to everything. The only actual losers will end being the animals themselves, when Sea World makes inevitable changes to how they do things and donations to their conservation fund slow down.
Image

Site Admin
User avatar
 
Posts: 48147
Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Gender: Male

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:08 pm

Jew wrote:
There are movements and campaigns against zoos and circus performers and everything else you had mentioned, not just against SeaWorld. And the director of the film is already on record as saying that she had no real intention of making the film pro x or x in either way and she does not side with either side.


This is my biggest problem with the film. It is very clear the controversy the film created is exactly what the director and CNN wanted to have happen. We wouldn't be having this discussion and people wouldn't be reacting so passionately if the documentary was merely meant to be an educational piece (See Ken Burns as an example of someone who can produce documentaries without controversy). So I don't buy that for a second.

Exactly, my beef isn't about whether people are for or against animal rights or whatever, my beef is that people turn on a 90 minute "movie" and think they are experts in the field.

I've seriously had cashiers at Kroger and line cooks at McDonalds tell us on our Facebook page all about animal rights and speak as though they are some authority while they are quoting the film. I'm sorry guy at McDonalds (Seriously, not making this up), but I just cannot take you seriously on the subject matter because you watched a documentary. And that's the problem with America. So many people are making decisions like stopping a school field trip over a movie without actually knowing the full story or having a clue what they are fighting for or against, or why.

I'm for educating America on how to make better decisions, not about the animals. (Sorry guys!)

I don't even care who's side you're on, just make sure you hear everyone one and you actually know what you're talking about before you take sides.

The movie wasn't about the animals. The movie was about getting a bigger paycheck for the filmmakers on their next project. I wish more people would understand that's the true agenda with things like this.

--Robb

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"
User avatar
 
Posts: 494
Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Location: Weirsdale,Florida
Gender: Male
Age: 52

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby Cyrbuzz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:08 pm

I applaud Sea World for putting out this letter. I think what they do does more to benefit marine life than most other organizations. My son and I are more than happy to making a trip there Saturday and will never tire of the awesome wonder of these animals. Sea World Parks and their sister parks are the most nourturing of their animal residents I've ever encountered. Hey they're good enough for the likes of people like Jack Hannah!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.
User avatar
 
Posts: 562
Joined: 21 Mar 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Gender: Male
Age: 36

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby Intaman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:25 pm

robbalvey wrote:
Jew wrote:
There are movements and campaigns against zoos and circus performers and everything else you had mentioned, not just against SeaWorld. And the director of the film is already on record as saying that she had no real intention of making the film pro x or x in either way and she does not side with either side.


This is my biggest problem with the film. It is very clear the controversy the film created is exactly what the director and CNN wanted to have happen. We wouldn't be having this discussion and people wouldn't be reacting so passionately if the documentary was merely meant to be an educational piece (See Ken Burns as an example of someone who can produce documentaries without controversy). So I don't buy that for a second.

Exactly, my beef isn't about whether people are for or against animal rights or whatever, my beef is that people turn on a 90 minute "movie" and think they are experts in the field.

I've seriously had cashiers at Kroger and line cooks at McDonalds tell us on our Facebook page all about animal rights and speak as though they are some authority while they are quoting the film. I'm sorry guy at McDonalds (Seriously, not making this up), but I just cannot take you seriously on the subject matter because you watched a documentary. And that's the problem with America. So many people are making decisions like stopping a school field trip over a movie without actually knowing the full story or having a clue what they are fighting for or against, or why.

I'm for educating America on how to make better decisions, not about the animals. (Sorry guys!)

I don't even care who's side you're on, just make sure you hear everyone one and you actually know what you're talking about before you take sides.

The movie wasn't about the animals. The movie was about getting a bigger paycheck for the filmmakers on their next project. I wish more people would understand that's the true agenda with things like this.

--Robb


Right. The death of a trainer created a filmmaking opportunity. While it is argued that Sea World profits over the "exploitation and cruelty" of its animals, so too does Gabriela Cowperthwaite and CNN. The film is hardly altruistic. Would this film have been created if the trainer had not been killed? Probably not. That said, it is tragic that there are suddenly all of these "Save the Whales" people that get caught up in this documentary without thinking more carefully about the entire story.
Image

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Gender: None specified

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby Jalek » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:31 pm

robbalvey wrote:I've seriously had cashiers at Kroger and line cooks at McDonalds tell us on our Facebook page all about animal rights and speak as though they are some authority while they are quoting the film. I'm sorry guy at McDonalds.


Really? Employees at McDonalds and Krogers are animal rights experts? Google "McDonald's" and "animal welfare" and "Kroger's" and "animal welfare." That's the funniest, most hypocritical thing I've heard all day. Thanks Robb!

Macaroni and Donkey
User avatar
 
Posts: 58
Joined: 09 Apr 2013
Gender: None specified

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby GO MUFC!!! » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:10 pm

If you are not vegetarian or vegan than you have no right to say that what SeaWorld does is bad.Just saying.
Last edited by GO MUFC!!! on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:32 pm.
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/ce417fa166aba6539858d7b96412309d.jpg[/img][/url]

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.
 
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Location: Orlando
Gender: Female
Age: 25

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby Inukaza » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:16 pm

Cyrbuzz wrote:I applaud Sea World for putting out this letter. I think what they do does more to benefit marine life than most other organizations. My son and I are more than happy to making a trip there Saturday and will never tire of the awesome wonder of these animals. Sea World Parks and their sister parks are the most nourturing of their animal residents I've ever encountered. Hey they're good enough for the likes of people like Jack Hannah!


Contrary to what the activists want you to believe, the park was insanely busy today (And this past week). 60 minute wait for Paddle Boats, 75 minute wait for Skytower, 80 for Antarctica, ect. Operations were decent as well. Of course, I know this is a busier week than normal, but still. Good luck and have fun at the park! It goes to show that most people in the world don't give a crap about Blackfish. It's not going to hurt attendance to the point where SeaWorld will panic or even miss it.

Source: Was at park today. :)
Baby, I'm howlin' for you.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay
 
Posts: 27
Joined: 19 Jul 2010
Gender: None specified

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby StuckinNorCal » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Still never visiting Seaworld after watching that documentary. Nothing can make up for the lies they have told their trainers and the public. They seem like they're only trying to save their asses. Killer Whales do not belong in captivity no matter what so called "special care" they're receiving.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron