SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 626: Electric Ocean Media Kick-Off Report Posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love craft beers like Bud Light

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby bbomser » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:24 am

^ Are you surprised?

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby 2012jarrett » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:24 am

FINALLY!!!! :D I was so hoping they'd do that so I could make an accurate decision about the issue after hearing both sides.

I was initially for them turning the current Shamu show structures into a habitat for non-releasable whales that guests could watch, but reading this changes that. My two biggest issues were the health of the whales (dorsal fins flopped over, lifespan, ect.) and separating families. Here Seaworld just flat out stated that they don't separate calves and mothers, putting that issue to rest. Now here's where it starts to get gray for me, health. I believe that these conditions Blackfish speaks of (dorsal collapse, failing to live full lifespan) are a direct result of their enclosures, if they exist, but Seaworld says that they're working on improving them, and if they're working on it, then I feel this issue, if it exists, is just part of a transitional thing for them and in 10-20 years, they'll be living to be 100.

When I went to BGT this past fall, which is in the same chain as Seaworld, I got a vibe that they really cared for the animals. They didn't run the Cheetahs for some reason, probably because they weren't up to it or something, and I got to see them feed the elephants at Nairobi and they seemed to be having a heck of a time breaking the corn in half with their trunks. I got the vibe that they really cared about their animals and if they feel they can give them the conditions they deserve, the Shamu shows should continue if the whales have fun doing it. Blackfish even included a clip of a trainer saying that a whale wasn't doing it because they had to, they were doing it because they want to.

I've always wanted to go to SWO and maybe do a San Antonio trip involving SFFT and SWSA. Manta looks fab, and Steel Eel looks fab. Really hope they can push through and restore what they've lost in attendance, if any.

-2012 "I was wrong" Jarrett
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/18ec287bb60672cae6c938cd59dddba3.jpg[/img][/url]

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby talonec » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:33 am

I haven't seen Blackfish, but I do know that dolphins and orcas are among the most intelligent mammals on earth. Imagine to being segregated from the population in a home you didn't choose and having to perform to eat. I do trust they are well cared for and that the employees of Sea World love the marine life they oversee. I just don't think orcas and dolphins should be in captivity. Even though they are cared for, it's cruel and would certainly not be happening by the dolphins' or orcas' free will. So Free Willy.

Magical Hoodie Wizard

Postby J man » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:43 am

That new CNN article made me laugh. It is written in the exact same tone that I try to use when I write new articles for the AAHCS blog. Sensational over the top dramatics that make your issue seem more important than it actually is.

I wish I had the money to show my support to Sea World by going there.
Click on the banner to see my movies!!!

Please visit www.SaveTheAnimatronicHippos.org

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:44 pm

Bravo for Sea World...certainly glad that this announcement was made!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:03 pm

talonec wrote:Imagine to being segregated from the population in a home you didn't choose and having to perform to eat. I do trust they are well cared for and that the employees of Sea World love the marine life they oversee. I just don't think orcas and dolphins should be in captivity. Even though they are cared for, it's cruel and would certainly not be happening by the dolphins' or orcas' free will. So Free Willy.

You do know that they are bred in captivity and not taken from the wild. If they were released into the wild they would absolutely die probably a fairly horrific death. So... There is that to consider also...

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:09 pm

robbalvey wrote:
talonec wrote:Imagine to being segregated from the population in a home you didn't choose and having to perform to eat. I do trust they are well cared for and that the employees of Sea World love the marine life they oversee. I just don't think orcas and dolphins should be in captivity. Even though they are cared for, it's cruel and would certainly not be happening by the dolphins' or orcas' free will. So Free Willy.

You do know that they are bred in captivity and not taken from the wild. If they were released into the wild they would absolutely die probably a fairly horrific death. So... There is that to consider also...

Chris - Here is the actual story of "Free Willy" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiko_%28orca%29

The whale from Free Willy was captured in 1979. He was released back into the wild in 2002 and then died in 2003. He was 27 years old. Most Orcas have a lifespan of 50. Take note of this:

Keiko was finally released in the open in July 2002. However, about six weeks later he showed up in a Norwegian fjord, apparently seeking contact with human beings and allowing children to ride on his back.

The fact that he lived in captivity for 23 years and then died one year after being released back into the wild makes me think that perhaps freeing Willy wasn't the smartest idea?
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:11 pm.

I know EXACTLY where my passport is!

Postby TPDave » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:14 pm

That's a really good response from SeaWorld, hopefully it gains some traction.

That CNN article is ridiculous, they consulted an "expert" who basically ignored the open letter and continued to say that the documentary has been a PR issue for the park (which was already known). Not surprised, I just hope people start to think objectively about this.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby goatdan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:51 pm

This is, unfortunately, the difficulty with animal parks. Animal rights activists usually go over the top to make claims against them, and every so often they get traction in the media, and then the park has to defend itself. While the idea of animals in captivity is never the nicest thing, those animals do a LOT of good for other animals. How many people in the world would know much about or care about orcas if it wasn't for Sea World publicizing them? The protections that the animals outside the parks gain are often directly correlated to people seeing the animals in the park.

I guarantee Sea World was ready for this, I guarantee that most if not all of the people at Sea World truly do care about the animals, how they are, and what they do. I have known people involved with another animal park, and if the animal was sick they would be at the park 24 / 7 caring for that animal.

I want to see Blackfish just because I am interested in the 'behind the scenes' stuff that happens at theme parks, although I would expect like any other documentary that you watch to be viewing an extremely slanted piece that is out to tell the story they wanted to tell.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby YoshiFan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Like others, I'm really glad to see they released a statement. I haven't seen the film and don't expect to see it but was planning on going to Sea World next time I am in Orlando (I need all the credits!) still hope to if I have time whenever that next trip is.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!