SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 626: Electric Ocean Media Kick-Off Report Posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Re: SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

Postby mattguyver » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:10 pm

To quote Eric Cartman "I don't give a crap about whales, so go and hug a tree"

TRIPS:
Japan 2013 || Scandinavia 2014

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:11 pm

Moose wrote:
denning wrote:The only truly sad parts were the stories of the babies being sent to other parks away from their mothers. And the grieve that the mothers felt. No explanation is given for the policy - and based on the slant of the film - one would believe that they should be kept together. Perhaps there is a safety reason for doing it.

I agreed with everything you posted, but this was the part that impacted me the most. Everything else The move said sea world did wasn't good but it didn't hot me like this one thing did.

It's awful that they did(/do?) this but it will not stop me from visiting their parks or knowing that without the parks, marine mammals would be in much more in danger in the wild than many of them already are.

I don't get why this is a big deal. Aren't most dogs and cats that live in people's homes taken from their mothers?

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Hoppy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:26 pm

^ Yup... I guess people still look into this a bit too deeply...it was proven certain animals do get depressed when their children are taken away (don't want to list it as my opinion and I cannot find that reference I saw the other day). Perhaps others will also agree or agree to disagree on this specific comment of yours Robb.

Then, you have others such as the Orca that helped father a number of small calves in Orlando at one point in time, according to SeaWorld's chief of animal training Chuck Tompkins. You've got me reading now about all this 'companionship' amongst the anti's and complaints that certain animals should be released into the wild or reunited with their families...
Roller Coasters, Fireworks, and Kobe Beef, oh my!

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby jfruge » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:28 pm

^^
Robb, I agree with you. In fact, I just watched a series on Netflix that was produced by animal planet following the lives of baby "pets" from birth until they were given up for SALE, and no one seems to care. Also, isn't it more humane that Sea World is funding programs to stop the capture of wild orcas? I don't mean to badger the point, but if a whale has never known the outside ocean, what exactly are they missing by being bred in captivity? Furthermore, what violation of the orcas rights has SeaWorld committed by ensuring them the absolute highest level of comfort and safety?
I haven't seen blackfish, nor do I intend to, as I believe wholeheartedly in SeaWorld's mission to entertain while educating.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby B&MBoy1982 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:41 am

You know, I was just thinking.

I want to make a sequel to the movie.

Blackfish 2: Weeki Wachee
The mermaids make minimum wage, and are "forced" to do 3 shows a day.

I want to be interviewed, but blacked out where you can only see the outline of my body, and have my voice disguised!

We can start a new organization called "PEToM: People for the Ethical Treatment of Mermaids" Then we can go stand on the corner with signs that say, "Free the mermaids!"

Magical Hoodie Wizard

Postby J man » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:18 am

^We could make that a sister organization to the AAHCS. Saving Hippos and Mermaids under the same non-profit umbrella!
Click on the banner to see my movies!!!

Please visit www.SaveTheAnimatronicHippos.org

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby denning » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:52 am

robbalvey wrote:
Moose wrote:
denning wrote:The only truly sad parts were the stories of the babies being sent to other parks away from their mothers. And the grieve that the mothers felt. No explanation is given for the policy - and based on the slant of the film - one would believe that they should be kept together. Perhaps there is a safety reason for doing it.

I don't get why this is a big deal. Aren't most dogs and cats that live in people's homes taken from their mothers?

That may be true but... I believe most puppies and kittens are taken from the mothers early. Watching the movie it seems like the split happened several years after a real connection was made. And the video footage of the mother's grieving is pretty intense.

My point was more that aside from this singular issue. I really think it is difficult to attack Seaworld if you aren't going to attack all zoos, pet stores and frankly any domestication of animals.

Maybe I am naive but a simple fix would be to keep the mothers and kids together. And if you need move them. Move both.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:56 am

denning wrote:
robbalvey wrote:
Moose wrote:

That may be true but... I believe most puppies and kittens are taken from the mothers early. Watching the movie it seems like the split happened several years after a real connection was made. And the video footage of the mother's grieving is pretty intense.

Or at least that's what the filmmakers want you to believe. Remember that Blackfish is a "movie" telling a "story" and specifically targeted so that you'll buy into the side of the story they are telling.

denning wrote:My point was more that aside from this singular issue. I really think it is difficult to attack Seaworld if you aren't going to attack all zoos, pet stores and frankly any domestication of animals.

And I couldn't agree more.

denning wrote:Maybe I am naive but a simple fix would be to keep the mothers and kids together. And if you need move them. Move both.

I don't think you or I know enough about the care of marine animals to say if that is a fix or not. And I don't believe the movie is telling us the whole story either. So with that said, I'll just continue to go to SeaWorld and enjoy the Shamu show for what it is.

--Robb

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby arby » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:00 am

robbalvey wrote:I have never looked at change.org ... until now.

Willie Nelson to cancel: ~9,000 supporters
Bare Naked Ladies to cancel: ~11,000 supporters
Trisha Yearwood to cancel: ~5,000 supporters
SeaWorld to end their Orca breeding program: ~14,000 supporters.
SeaWorld to release their Orcas and Dolphins: ~12,000 supporters.

All those bands pulled out because nearly all of their fans signed the petition. :lol:

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:18 am

robbalvey wrote:
Moose wrote:

I agreed with everything you posted, but this was the part that impacted me the most. Everything else The move said sea world did wasn't good but it didn't hot me like this one thing did.

It's awful that they did(/do?) this but it will not stop me from visiting their parks or knowing that without the parks, marine mammals would be in much more in danger in the wild than many of them already are.

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't Tilikum from a marine park that was going to be closed down? I bring it up because of the dogs and cats post. I have a Labrador I rescued from a Korean pound whose company I love very much, I still volunteer at the shelter (more because I love dogs than being an activist) and am part of the facebook group still since we have to update. I bring it up because if I posted pictures or anyone else who has rescued their animal the activists would say "wow, look how healthy she is now" "if it wasn't for you that poor dog would have been put down" etc but the second someone posts pictures of a dog they got from the puppy shop the group would start sharpening their pitchforks and get the torches lit to spew off about how buying dogs is promoting bad industries etc etc . Isn't Tilikum technically Sea World's kill-shelter puppy ?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!