California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

P. 1176: Cedar Fair complete park land purchase!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby RollerManic » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:06 pm

Supposedly, GCI use a much harder wood for the track on Ghostrider which is why it has been holding up so particularly well since the refurb. All GCI’s can hold up really well if the park takes care of them, so my guess is that if Gold Striker is getting rougher, it’s the park’s fault.

It’s pretty incredible how, for example, the two Missouri GCI’s, both in the same climates but on opposite sides of the state, and built within a year of each other, can be so starkly different. American Thunder is one of the smoothest GCI’s still to-date (because it receives lots of love over every off-season), while Prowler has become awful.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby joelwee » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:19 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:
joelwee wrote:So, I finally got myself married a few weeks ago and we took our honeymoon in NorCal the following week. After camping at Portola for a few days,

Just noticed this. Portola in Plumas County? My parents work in that area! It's rare that I hear people actually trying to visit that area (vs. get tf out, as I did).

No, it was actually Portola Redwood State Park. I didn’t realize there was a town called Portola until I googled it just now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seat, don't fail me now!

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Great TR Joe!

Do you guys think it’s interesting that Delirium is a nearly 20-year-old frisbee, one of the smallest of its kind, and it still gets full queues and some of the longest lines in the park? It’s bizarre to me. Especially since the park down the road opened a much-improved version of the ride a couple years ago.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:14 pm

I find it interesting too. That same could be said for La Revolucion at Knott's. Even on dead days, that ride still has a 2-3 cycle wait. People love them.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Guru20 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:10 am

DBru wrote:Great TR Joe!

Do you guys think it’s interesting that Delirium is a nearly 20-year-old frisbee, one of the smallest of its kind, and it still gets full queues and some of the longest lines in the park? It’s bizarre to me. Especially since the park down the road opened a much-improved version of the ride a couple years ago.

People really like frisbees, especially GP's. The Zamperla discoveries are at every SF park virtually b/c they have consistent 30 to 45 lines.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby ryder » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:41 am

I'd imagine it's very slow load and relatively long ride cycle has quite a bit to do with it.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby MrSum1_55 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:44 am

Frisbees are quite effective rides. You can get good airtime during the direction changes. I can't ride them anymore because I no longer have the tolerance for spinning that I used to, but I do miss riding them.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby grsupercity » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:49 am

RollerManic wrote:Supposedly, GCI use a much harder wood for the track on Ghostrider which is why it has been holding up so particularly well since the refurb. All GCI’s can hold up really well if the park takes care of them, so my guess is that if Gold Striker is getting rougher, it’s the park’s fault.

It’s pretty incredible how, for example, the two Missouri GCI’s, both in the same climates but on opposite sides of the state, and built within a year of each other, can be so starkly different. American Thunder is one of the smoothest GCI’s still to-date (because it receives lots of love over every off-season), while Prowler has become awful.

I find it funny that both SFSTL and WOF both have A GCI, A Spinning coaster, a Boomerang and and a B&M invert in a somewhat competing market
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:59 am

joelwee wrote:
RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:
joelwee wrote:So, I finally got myself married a few weeks ago and we took our honeymoon in NorCal the following week. After camping at Portola for a few days,

Just noticed this. Portola in Plumas County? My parents work in that area! It's rare that I hear people actually trying to visit that area (vs. get tf out, as I did).

No, it was actually Portola Redwood State Park. I didn’t realize there was a town called Portola until I googled it just now.

Nobody does :lol: There is camping near Portola the town, but usually people would camp at the nearby lakes, not the town itself. Anyway, congrats on getting married!

It is a shame that GS has gotten more rough. It's a great GCI. It's still not to the point of "NOPE" but it's certainly not as great as it was when it first opened.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:11 am

grsupercity wrote:
RollerManic wrote:Supposedly, GCI use a much harder wood for the track on Ghostrider which is why it has been holding up so particularly well since the refurb. All GCI’s can hold up really well if the park takes care of them, so my guess is that if Gold Striker is getting rougher, it’s the park’s fault.

I find it funny that both SFSTL and WOF both have A GCI, A Spinning coaster, a Boomerang and and a B&M invert in a somewhat competing market

Worlds of Fun and Six Flags St. Louis do seem strikingly similar in terms of “class.” I haven’t been to either park, so I won’t comment on the quality of experience at either, but speaking strictly in terms of ride lineup and their rank in their respective chains, they share many similarities.

But on the topic of CGA, that’s what would be so great about them getting a B&M Hyper one day. It would be the biggest coaster in the area (because NorCal is essentially a separate state than SoCal) and would be highly visible among the very populated area. If they can eventually cut through the red tape on noise and space issues, I feel like it would be a MASSIVE hit for the park.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!