California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

P. 1176: Cedar Fair complete park land purchase!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby edgeboy » Mon May 14, 2018 4:27 pm

I also wonder if CA State regulations/OSHA makes them jump through more hoops that Texas.

Still, though... you'd think they would've at least announced an open date by now...

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby laqueefa » Mon May 14, 2018 6:30 pm

edgeboy wrote:I also wonder if CA State regulations/OSHA makes them jump through more hoops that Texas.

Still, though... you'd think they would've at least announced an open date by now...

That's not a far fetched thought. Structures in CA have to meet certain requirements due to earthquakes, but the last I saw, they were adding more wooden walkways to the side of the turn before the first drop.
Tigga, please!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby clem2754 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:01 pm

VegasBaby wrote:
cal1br3tto wrote:It's cute how I was so naively optimistic about this opening fairly early in the season. Oh, well.

It's actually kinda shocking that Six Flags opened the same ride before a Cedar Fair park. Then again, Knott's is opening their new coaster on Friday and SFMM hasn't even gone vertical with their giant Frisbee, which is more like I've come to expect. I wonder why CGA's raptor is taking so long to open? You'd think they would want to capitalize on the Memorial Day holiday weekend to drive guests to the park.

The user that stated that SF had an agreement to open Wonder Women first is correct. With regard to SFMM, they didn't open up Justice LEague until July last year. I expect that July is the earliest this year. KBF announces the grand opening just a few weeks ago and they were rather last minute on ERT for Hang Time. It would not surprise me if CGA is the same way and communicates everything fairly last minute. I would like to think they want this operational by Memorial Day, but it would not surprise me if it went into June.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Mon May 14, 2018 7:09 pm

laqueefa wrote:
edgeboy wrote:I also wonder if CA State regulations/OSHA makes them jump through more hoops that Texas.

That's not a far fetched thought. Structures in CA have to meet certain requirements due to earthquakes, but the last I saw, they were adding more wooden walkways to the side of the turn before the first drop.

Yeah, it's not as crazy as an idea as people may think. As an example, I've seen entire construction projects come to a screeching halt while they wait for workers to complete their 24-hour competent person fall protection training. Not saying that's what the issue is here, but delays are sometimes more minor than people think.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 pm

^It's California. I totally believe it.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Is that a giant golf ball?

Postby alpengeistdude321 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:26 pm

Hello there!

I am heading to CGA for the first time ever tomorrow. Since it is a Thursday, the website said that there would be "intermittent limited operation" on rides. What does this usually mean? Are at least all of the major attractions going to be open?
-John

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby edgeboy » Wed May 16, 2018 8:26 pm

I'm not a NorCal local, but I visited CGA about 2 years ago during the same period, and it generally means that while the major rides will be open, some of the flats (including Eagle's Flight, their skyway) and shows/entertainment won't be, or only open for certain hours. That said, last time I did it, the vast majority of the park was open and operational. But YMMV.

Is that a giant golf ball?

Postby alpengeistdude321 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:20 pm

edgeboy wrote:I'm not a NorCal local, but I visited CGA about 2 years ago during the same period, and it generally means that while the major rides will be open, some of the flats (including Eagle's Flight, their skyway) and shows/entertainment won't be, or only open for certain hours. That said, last time I did it, the vast majority of the park was open and operational. But YMMV.

Thank you for the response! I do not mind shows and some flat rides being closed. As long as I could get on Gold Striker and Flight Deck (possibly many times because it will be a pre-summer weekday), I will be totally content!

UPDATE: I went to the park today. Again, first time ever, so it was a blast getting to experience Flight Deck and Gold Striker for the first time. I rode Flight Deck seven times and Gold Striker five times. I got a few rides on The Demon and Patriot, as well as one ride on Psycho Mouse and Drop Tower: Scream Zone. As expected, Flight Deck and Gold Striker kicked serious tail. Those coasters were worth the trip alone. Otherwise I was not too impressed with CGA. I had some high expectations since I grew up in SoCal and went to Knott's Berry Farm very often. I thought CGA would be similar, but it was just kind of meh. Most of the park's flat rides and shops were closed because it was a Thursday. The Grizzly opened at 2 PM and swarms of teenagers went over to ride it as soon as it opened so I did not bother with getting that credit.

I think what really spoiled the trip for me was the amount of teenagers there today. I can confidently say that 90% of the park attendees were high school groups. I was just there by myself so it was not the best time being in line and riding coasters with a bunch of obnoxious, loud teenagers. Maybe I am just getting old. I don't know. I had a great time on Flight Deck and Gold Striker and I would say those two rides were worth the money to get in, but I am not going to rush back to the park anytime soon. Maybe after the initial buzz of Rail Blazer being open, I will try to catch CGA on a weekday mid/late summer and get some rides on it.
-John

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby cgaridesman » Fri May 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Not sure what it means it terms of a potential opening date, but it looks like they're training ride ops on Railblazer tonight.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby moviemansig » Wed May 23, 2018 1:49 pm

Does anyone know when the season pass early ride time days are in June? Thanks.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!