Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 984: Boogie Board Racer & Grand Carnivale announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'll drink donkey urine before I'll drink a Pepsi.

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby yawetag » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:12 am

They both also have temperature thresholds that can't be guaranteed in November and December. Rather than planning on opening them and then not being able to, it's easier to not worry about them at all.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:09 am

Coastard69 wrote:Was looking at booking a trip to Carowinds the weekend after Thanksgiving to finally get my Fury credit. Saw they don't operate Intimidator or Fury during Winterfest...Does anyone know why they don't operate their signature attractions during Winterfest?

Because they don't want to. There's really no other reasonable explanation.

yawetag wrote:They both also have temperature thresholds that can't be guaranteed in November and December.

:lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: Okay

Untitled.jpg

47fc859d-c36c-4388-863e-62b07742add6.jpg

... sounds rough
Last edited by coasterbill on Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:21 am.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:18 am

This is one example where Six Flags buying Cedar Fair would be a positive.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Hamburg DOM & Heide Park

Postby coasterbill » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:21 am

By the way, I lived in Charlotte for awhile. This is what we're talking about. These are the projections and averages for December. Even if the park chose to kept their startup temperatures as-is everything could run almost every day.

Untitled.jpg

The only reason nothing runs for Winterfest is that the park doesn't feel like they need to run the rides to draw gate, which I guess is true but the line for the Troika hit 90 minutes almost nightly that week between Christmas and New Years last year and Afterburn usually hit an hour (which never happens) since people had nothing to ride.

Canobie Coaster wrote:This is one example where Six Flags buying Cedar Fair would be a positive.

Hey man, be nice. Charlotte winters are brutal. Sometimes they have to shake the morning frost off of the palm trees near Intimidator
Last edited by coasterbill on Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:26 am.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:36 am

:lol:

I completely understand their plight. Winters are brutal. It's just like how I saw Busch Gardens Tampa selling handwarmers when temperatures hit 60 degrees a few years ago.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Hamburg DOM & Heide Park

Postby yawetag » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:27 am

coasterbill wrote:
yawetag wrote:They both also have temperature thresholds that can't be guaranteed in November and December.

:lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol: Okay

https://www.wbtv.com/story/28640352/fury325-and-cabelas-bring-a-flurry-of-activity-to-carowinds-blvd/
"Since it was windy and the temperature was below 40 degrees, park officials had to wait to open Fury325 until it got a bit warmer. However, temperatures eventually climbed and so did the number of people lining up for the ride."

I agree that average temps in Charlotte are above that threshold, but evening temps (Winterfest hours are 5p-10p most days) can easily fall close to the 40° mark.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:57 am

I said "almost" every day and 40 degrees is generally just a startup temperature for the parks that even care (see: Dollywood). Yes, I was there that day that you picked out from 4 1/2 years ago when Fury opened 2 hours late. :lol:

Anyway I give up. I'll be riding Nitro in the snow if anyone needs me.
Last edited by coasterbill on Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:03 am.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:02 am

coasterbill wrote:I said "almost" every day and 40 degrees is generally just a startup temperature for the parks that even care (see: Dollywood). Yes, I was there that day 4 1/2 years ago when Fury opened 2 hours late. :lol:

Anyway I give up. I'll be riding Nitro in the snow if anyone needs me.

:nina:
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:17 am

At least Copperhead Strike will be open for Winterfest. Another major coaster to eat up crowds will help. Kings Dominion is also opening Twisted Timbers this year in addition to Dominator (albeit not opening Rebel Yell anymore).

But aside from those two parks and the two in California, Six Flags definitely has the more “fun” winter events for us enthusiasts!
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Postby yawetag » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:45 am

coasterbill wrote:I said "almost" every day and 40 degrees is generally just a startup temperature for the parks that even care (see: Dollywood). Yes, I was there that day that you picked out from 4 1/2 years ago when Fury opened 2 hours late. :lol:

So, to sum up: I state the rides have temperatures in which the rides won't be run and those temperatures may not be met in the months of Winterfest. You mock it and use a different park as proof, as well as an average temp calendar for December that shows lows below that temperature. I respond with proof that Fury was delayed to open - on its opening day, no less. You respond with "Well, I didn't say 'all' days."

So would you agree that Fury and Intimidator have operating temperatures that Carowinds won't run the rides AND that those temperatures are possible during the time Winterfest operates?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!