Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 913 - Copperhead Strike Roller Coaster for 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby pproteinc » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:04 am

Link below if anyone cares to frop by the live webcam every now and again.

https://pixelcaster.com/live/carowinds/https/cam1.html

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:55 pm

They've installed 12 of 102 pieces in virtually 24 hours. It's not a stretch to see this completed in the next couple weeks if they keep this up . . .
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby teacherkim » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:28 pm

My son and I will be making a quick trip down from St Louis the last weekend in October. We will hit Scarowinds on the Fri and Sat night and do the regular park hours during the day on Sat. Will be our first trip to Carowinds but not our first to a Cedar Fair park.

We are park traveling veterans but anything we should know about Scarowinds? Or the park in general?

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby pproteinc » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Scarowinds is hella packed the last weekends of October. Manage your time wisely. I'd say dont leave after datyime operations. Just chill in the parking lot or walk over to Moe's or the BBQ joint if you're hungry as. You will see that it gets very hectic when the scarowinds crowd start to arrive and park. Traffic is over the top and the parking lot gets full. The park is overcrowded and you will have to choose either to do rides or mazes and you may get to do 2 mazes or two rides in the 5hr time frame as lines are chaotic and very long. Just be there early to get in faster. FASTPASS PLUS WILL BE YOUR FRIEND for rides only and if considering the Frightpass will also be your friends for mazes.
Last edited by pproteinc on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:46 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:09 pm

Two years ago the entrance was grid locked with cars trying to get into the park at about 1030pm... No joke. Everything is packed, but we still managed to do a couple haunted houses. We waited maybe 30 minutes. You just have to be selective and wait until after Scarowinds has been open for a couple hours before waiting for a Haunt. Like every haunt, people go rushing to every haunted house as soon as Scarowinds starts.

We left for dinner and got to the park right when Scarowinds opened. We had to wait about 20 minutes to get through the parking entrance. We had to wait another ten minutes to park. We saw someone get contacted by security for slamming beers in their car prior to entering.............. It also took about 20 minutes to get through the entrance. There were several times where we waited 20 minutes to get a beer. The crowds actually made it pretty fun, though. Since the layout is so small there aren't many gaps between the roaming scare actors, scare zones, and haunts.

It's not everyday you go to this park. Fast Lane Plus. We were on every ride within a few minutes. It allowed us to take our time and be selective about which haunted houses to hit. If you don't want to go that route, make sure to visit the park during the day. I think crowds were mostly light.

Postby teacherkim » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:28 am

Thanks guys! The tip about walking to dinner and leaving the car is welcome for sure. I was kinda wondering about that down time.

Prozach you know I am firmly in the get the fastpasses camp if you aren't there on a regular basis. Because we need to fit it in a quick weekend we are just flying down so I'm not going to skimp on fastpasses if I'm already spending money on plane tickets and a rental car. I was able to get two free night at the Hampton Inn near the park with Hilton points, so that helps.

I figure with fastlane plus and two night of haunts with the fright lane passes we should get to see everything. Now that I'm hearing tales about the backup to get in we will be sure to allow plenty of time.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:15 am

^Nice! With the Fast Lane Plus and Fright Lane combo you're going to be able to ride everything you want as many times as you want. Is this your first trip to Carowinds?

Postby teacherkim » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:49 pm

prozach626 wrote:^Nice! With the Fast Lane Plus and Fright Lane combo you're going to be able to ride everything you want as many times as you want. Is this your first trip to Carowinds?

Yes, been to several other Cedar Fair parks but not Carowinds. It was a reward offered to the boy for raising his grades and then he went and did it so I had to follow through, lol. We both have Fri 10/26 off school so, fly down Fri morning, Scarowinds Fri night, regular park Sat day, Scarowinds Sat night, utilize fastlane/frightlane, ride everything, go through all the mazes, eat junk food til we puke, and fly home Sun morning.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:21 pm

The Fury crew is otherworldly. They've just eaten through an entire set of switchbacks in like 15 minutes (full queue minus the extra far-end cattle pens). Too bad almost every other crew has kinda sucked. Better rides = better crews here, Afterburn has been closed all day, hoping it opens before we bail but I'm guessing it probably won't.
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

Postby teacherkim » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:31 pm

So, if we purchase fastlane plus for the normal daytime hours on a Saturday, is it still good during Scarowinds? Or does everything "reset" when the park reopens for the Halloween stuff.

I realize the mazes have a separate fastpass to purchase.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!