Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 984: Boogie Board Racer & Grand Carnivale announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby thrillrider » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:00 pm

coasterbill wrote:I hate to speculate on the success of a park's investment because it's a slippery slope that leads to rumors getting repeated and then being accepted as fact (see: Cedar Fair will never work with Intamin again) but like... I don't know...

Mantis did 925,667 riders in it's final season. By it's second season Rougarou was already pulled from Early Entry and it did under a million riders so there was basically no change despite going from 2 trains to 3 and dramatically improving capacity.

Rougarou in theory should probably have better capacity than every coaster in the park except for Gatekeeper, Gemeni and possibly Magnum and Millennium Force. I'd imagine it would even be ahead of Raptor in reality since Raptor's bins exist and god damn do they ever create a sh*tshow for anyone trying to sit in rows one and two.

So in it's second season despite it's amazing capacity, Rougarou did less riders than Gatekeeper, Millennium Force, Valravn (with a 24 passenger train), Magnum, Raptor, Sky Ride, Gemeni, the Railroad, Dragster despite it's low capacity, inability to run in rain, inability to run in wind and massive amounts of downtime and Maverick which holds 12 riders per train and breaks constantly (though at least it gets Early Entry which Rougarou does not). There were other rides that could have beat it too but stats aren't available. Honestly I feel like Iron Dragon would be right there.

That's pathetic and it's absolutely based on popularity because it has the capacity to beat Valravn, Dragster and Maverick handily and it should probably beat Raptor too (especially because Raptor closes for wind more than any coaster in the park except maybe Dragster and Rougarou will literally run in anything). It's not a capacity issue and it's not a downtime issue, it's just not that popular.

As for Patriot, I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of that park but we went on a busy day where we needed Fastlane and walked straight on to row one of that dumpster fire of a ride and we were the only ones on the train. It sounds like everyone else is reporting similar results.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a floorless conversion. It could happen, but it's not exactly doing wonders for the popularity of these rides. Cheer up though, Patriot is a trash ride anyway.

I think that the problems that cause low ridership on rougarou boils down to 2 big issues.

1. Believe it or not, a lot of people think it's still a standup coaster. We were talking about cp at work, and everyone thought that it was still a standup coaster with a new theme.

2. The parks coaster collection. If you placed rougarou in most other parks, it would be one of the more popular coasters. But when you put it in a park with dragster, millennium force, maverick, steel vengeance, raptor, valravin, and a handful of other decent coaster....well, you do the math.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

X is the best. Tatsu sucks.

Postby smartestcoasterkidever! » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:17 am

Yeah, it’s just not that popular. It’s capacity was advertised as 1800/hr, but in reality, it can’t get more than 1344 riders per hour, or 42 dispatches. It was a change in programming when it was converted from Mantis. It can move a line fairly well, but it’s not the people eater everyone was expecting.

Postby DILinator » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:06 am

thrillrider wrote:2. The parks coaster collection. If you placed rougarou in most other parks, it would be one of the more popular coasters. But when you put it in a park with dragster, millennium force, maverick, steel vengeance, raptor, valravin, and a handful of other decent coaster....well, you do the math.

This is very true! If CP had moved Rougarou to almost any other park in the chain (with the exception of KD, for obvious reasons), it would immediately become one of the most popular coasters there! To say the CP spoils its patrons when it comes to roller coaster thrills, is an understatement.

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby TBpony414 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Card - those pictures are fantastic! Some of the angles you got of the park are really neat, like the Caro sign with Fury in the background. I especially love the one at the top of the treble clef since it really captures how insane that particular moment is. I know nothing about birds but your photos of them are excellent as well so thanks for including them.

This button makes my penis erect.

Postby DJeXeL » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:16 am

More clues posted to Carowinds’ Twitter this morning.
1932751F-C58C-4940-B902-3E30A40DD88E.png
- Insane In The Lift Chain -

"You shut your mouth when you talk to me"

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:39 am

Roll out of station, 42 mph launch in 2.5 seconds, hit a brake run second launch goes from 35-50mph in 2 seconds flat. Top speed, 53 mph, length 3,255 ft. 2 min 24 second ride time,16 riders per train. Ride centered around making moonshine in an inconspicuous place which is what the station could be themed after. Moonshine being made, Copperhead Strike.

No snakes nor moonshine were harmed in the making of this post . . .
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:40 am

"Stir completely around" = more evidence for a spinning coaster?
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:10 am

^I think the 16 passenger train gives it away more than anything right?

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:12 am

DJeXeL wrote:More clues posted to Carowinds’ Twitter this morning.

Yeah, I'm thinking an inverting multi-launching spinning coaster IE: Time Traveler.
Bigger is not always better.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:18 am

Icon also has 16-passenger trains. I think it's pretty much 50/50 being spinning or not, and I would be completely happy either way to be honest.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!