Bay Beach Amusement Park Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Green Bay's Bay Beach to get the Zippin Pippin

Postby beatle11 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:07 pm

Looks great!!

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:01 pm

Is it me, or does that thing crawl through that course. Each turnaround takes forever, especially the outer one. Let's hope this thing gets faster as it's broken in.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Big-M » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Shavethewhales wrote:Is it me, or does that thing crawl through that course. Each turnaround takes forever, especially the outer one. Let's hope this thing gets faster as it's broken in.

I'm sure it will.

Random Fact: When Boardwalk Bullet was first tested (with a weighted train), it only made it through the first 1/3 of the course before rolling back and valleying (There's a video of this somewhere). I'd say Zippin' Pippin did pretty well!
Favorite Woodie: Boulder Dash!
Favorite Steelie: Kawasemi!

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:41 pm

Glad to see the Pippin successfully completed its maiden voyage. Congrats to the TGG and the Green Bay builders on their accomplishment.

I'm must say I'm a bit surprised they used the Thunder Eagle's complete five-car train. As far as I know, the original ZP never used a train of this length. Not even when it ran the old NAD Century Flyers. I'm wondering how this added dynamic will affect the speed after the complete break-in period ...

I only rode the TE a few times in Pigeon Forge, but every time I was aware of how it seemed to creep around its course, almost as if that fifth car might be holding it back. On the other hand, both KI's Racer and KD's Rebel Yell use five-car trains and they perform quite well while Carowinds' Thunder Road could only benefit from an added car.

-SR

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Fri May 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Ride Report! - May 6th, 2011
Today I was honored with an early ride of the new Zippin Pippin Roller Coaster at Bay Beach Amusement park before it's official public opening in about two weeks, actually, to be more accurate, 6 rides. I have a new POV video from one of the rides, see the link below. Here is a hill by hill turn by turn description of the ride. I also got some pictures of the latest finishing touches of the construction going on around the coaster and grounds. I'll write a separate post in a few days to review those details.

The back six seats were open for riders during these tests so all of these impressions and the video is from the perspective of riding in the last car of the train. The front 24 seats were weighted down with sand bags. The trains sit two across, there is a small panel separating the two seats. They are a bit tight with two full grown adults, but squeeze in it's worth the effort! Each seat has it's own seat belt and padded lap bar.

After the brakes release you head immediately down a small incline and into turn 1 which is inside of the structure for turn 3, you quickly head around this turn and after 180 degrees you start up the lift hill. The trip up the lift hill is very quick, be sure to look over you right shoulder as you near the top for a beautiful view of the Bay. At the top of the lift hill there is a quick 180 degree turn as you line up for the first drop.

In the back car the front of the train starts accelerating down the hill while you are still completing turn 2 so you get a good burst of speed as you are coming out of the turn and are then quickly pulled down the first drop. The first drop is nice and smooth and quickly bottoms out and heads uphill into turn 3. Turn 3 is another 180 degree turn and the train carries plenty of momentum around this turn and you are again pulled around the last bit of the turn as the first cars of the train start down the second drop before you complete the turn, this is a great crack the whip sensation. When I have the chance I'll ride the first car of the train but all things considered I think the best ride on this coaster is going to be in the back.

At this point you are travelling alongside the lift hill and quickly complete the drop, head up another hill and move through part of the lift hill structure. Just as you crest the next hill there are a couple of structural beams that seem very close to your reach (assuming your hands are up), it's a great illusion but I'm 6'3" tall and reached as high as I could and wasn't in any danger of coming into contact with these beams.

After this hill you are heading into the out and back with two quick bunny hills that both have some good airtime. One more uphill and you are into the turn around. Coming out of the turn around you head into another uphill with a nice little banked turn to the left.

On the last bunny hill before you head uphill and into the station there is a great little surprise, at this point the train still has a lot of momentum and this last small hill has some great abrupt airtime. If you watch the video you can see how quickly the cars in front are snapped downward at this point. This tends to launch the riders against their seat belt and lap bar when they least expect it. It's a great surprise and everyone I rode with on the rides I took really liked that last little surprise. Then it's up one small hill and the brakes catch and the ride is over. Trains were completing the circuit in a pretty consistent 1 minute 30 seconds.

All things considered I have to say the ride exceeded my expectations. It's pretty incredible to think this coaster was designed in 1912. John Miller designed a great ride that holds up very well nearly a century later. The ride is a perfect fit for Bay Beach. It's a fun thrilling ride but not to large and intimidating so really just about anybody over 48" can ride it, young and old alike. I can definitely see Grandparents taking their Grandchildren on the ride once they are tall enough. It will be interesting to see what kind of reviews it gets from the people of Green Bay after it's grand opening on May 21st.

Link

Onride:

Offride:

Onride Video from the city of Green Bay:

Looks like a it will be a great addition and should have some nice views being close to the water. Can't wait to finally head back to BB, ZP opens in just over 14 days! :)

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

Postby beatle11 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:42 am

^Awesome!

Postby Carnage » Sat May 07, 2011 6:49 am

Looks like they did a good job on it.

Brings back memories of riding the original Zippin Pippin.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby angryemobeaver » Sat May 07, 2011 8:04 am

Wow! I'm surprised of how intense it looks! Reminds me of riding in the back of Georgia Cyclone getting pulled over all the hills! I might just have to make a Valley Fair/Mall of America/Dells/Zippin Pippin/ SFGAm trip this year!
I have a hard time ranking coasters so here are just some of my favorites
|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Voyage|Shivering Timbers|Goliath SFOG|Fahrenheit|Banshee|Mystery Mine|Cornball Express|Cheetah Hunt|

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:10 pm

227563_224411834242812_216541391696523_1054322_3874469_n.jpg
221106_224411147576214_216541391696523_1054301_1611978_o-3.jpg
220034_224410427576286_216541391696523_1054275_7878796_o.jpg
206693_216911848326144_216541391696523_985489_7720137_n.jpg
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Tue May 17, 2011 1:12 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Wed May 18, 2011 1:20 pm

Rocco from the Coaster Crew upload a media day video, that shows the ZP as well as a few other rides around the park:

Fox 11 uploaded a front seat pov:

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!