Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 353 - Steel Curtain POV & Rider Cam posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Postby PennStater » Wed May 22, 2019 4:34 am

DILinator wrote:For those that work at the park (I know there's at least one of you!), have you heard if there's any idea currently about when this will finally open? I'm not in any super rush to get there, thanks to the aforementioned fundage issues, just curious.

I honestly don't think they know yet... but as you would imagine, they'd want to get it open ASAP. I'm going to KennyKon on July 20th, and they have Steel Curtain ERT on the schedule but with a disclaimer:

While it is hoped that The Steel Curtain will reliably operating by the time of the event, like all new installations, especially ones with new designs, technical challenges can prevail. In the event it is not operational, another roller coaster will be substituted for ERT, and the kindness and understanding of event attendees will be appreciated!
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (August - December)

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby jslim39 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:13 pm

So yeah if anybody hears about when this opens, sound the alarm bells please. I have vacation June 14th-21st and I plan on spending maybe 1 full day back home in Pittsburgh, and the rest will be in Virginia Beach.

I've gone to Kennywood every year my whole life until last year, and now that the bandaid has been ripped off, I sure can skip another year. I'll be really disappointed, but if Steel Curtain isn't open by my vacation, I'm just going to King's Dominion....

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Taylor Finn » Wed May 22, 2019 1:17 pm

I’m willing to bet it won’t be open until July at the earliest. It’s not just going to be finished construction wise and ready to go. I mean, how does the rest of the area appear to be coming along?

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby xChris125x » Wed May 22, 2019 6:40 pm

Steel Curtain from above (taken last week)
IMG_20190516_151859.jpg

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DILinator » Wed May 22, 2019 11:44 pm

PennStater wrote:
DILinator wrote:For those that work at the park (I know there's at least one of you!), have you heard if there's any idea currently about when this will finally open? I'm not in any super rush to get there, thanks to the aforementioned fundage issues, just curious.

I honestly don't think they know yet... but as you would imagine, they'd want to get it open ASAP. I'm going to KennyKon on July 20th, and they have Steel Curtain ERT on the schedule but with a disclaimer:

While it is hoped that The Steel Curtain will reliably operating by the time of the event, like all new installations, especially ones with new designs, technical challenges can prevail. In the event it is not operational, another roller coaster will be substituted for ERT, and the kindness and understanding of event attendees will be appreciated!

Thanks for the response! That sounds like about what I was guessing, based on where progress is at the moment.

Another question, for you, or any other locals or regular attendees... Is there a particular time of year that the crowds at the park thin out again, after mid-June? Perhaps late August? September? I imagine that's when we'll end up going, but I've only ever gone earlier in the season, so I'm not sure what it's usually like then. Thanks!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alilstronger » Thu May 23, 2019 10:42 am

I'll be here Sunday! Even though I am sad the new coaster won't be open I am still excited to get back here after about 6 years! Hopefully the weather holds up for us.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby ryder » Thu May 23, 2019 11:14 am

jslim39 wrote:So yeah if anybody hears about when this opens, sound the alarm bells please. I have vacation June 14th-21st and I plan on spending maybe 1 full day back home in Pittsburgh, and the rest will be in Virginia Beach.

I know, I'll be going around July 11, and I'm kind of holding my breath to see if it'll be open by then--seems like it could be a close call. My travels are tied to a business trip, so the dates are kinda inflexible for me. :/

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby tanthonyam » Thu May 23, 2019 7:51 pm

Well I am sure once that new ride opens, it will stay busy til the end of the season. I would always try a weekday over weekends if you can.

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby TurnOfTheCentury » Fri May 24, 2019 5:49 am

Steel Curtain looks so insane to me: in a good way, of course.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby xChris125x » Fri May 24, 2019 7:52 am

Steel Curtain has quite a view!
IMG_20190516_152136.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!