Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 353 - Steel Curtain POV & Rider Cam posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Postby larrygator » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:29 pm

Getting a new coaster with a potentially long queue is much lot better than not getting a new coaster.
Last edited by larrygator on Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:29 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:28 pm

RyanTPM wrote:In regards to that 'mouse turn' it looks like there's some sort of building covering the straight section just ahead of it, so it could be possibly some sort of dark ride section towards the end of the ride taken at slow speed.

Drop track.

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:56 pm

^ Themed to scary trees and such? ;)

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby KPfan » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:05 pm

KPfreak519 wrote:
KPfan wrote:This makes me wonder what they have planned for that ride entrance. If you look at that topology map it shows the new building being built back in the corner behind the Log Jammer. Currently that is all wooded area with some pavilions and materials storage. It's also where the train turnaround takes place.

It's been the rumored location for a new coaster. Will be great to see it become reality. Great way to add a feature attraction to the park that doesn't have much free space.

Its also worth noting that 2018 is the 50th anniversary for the Thunderbolt as well as the parks 120th . Could be a great way to celebrate.

I was wondering the same thing. The station is located awfully far from any area of the park that sees a lot of traffic. Guess there's just going to be a really long queue and exit like the Phantom has.

Could also set up the other rumor of a coaster along the back of the park where the train is today.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby bluestreak » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:25 pm

Philrad71 wrote:^ Themed to scary trees and such? ;)

Hmmmm sounds familiar ;) :lol:
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

Postby JordyC » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:31 am

bluestreak wrote:
Philrad71 wrote:^ Themed to scary trees and such? ;)

Hmmmm sounds familiar ;) :lol:

#WhatsInTheShed
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Wildfire - Kolmården 3. Taiga - Linnanmäki 4. Untamed - Walibi Holland 5. Shambhala - PortAventura 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Taron - Phantasialand 8. Helix - Liseberg 9. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 10. iSpeed - Mirabilandia

Coasters: 291 || Parks: 55

Parc Astérix || Slagharen || Plopsa Coevorden || Waarbeek || Liseberg || Kolmården || Gröna Lund || Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby KPfan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:41 am

The more I think about this, the more I see the potential for something truly special. Especially considering the uniqueness of the location.

1. Ravine presents an opportunity to maximize the use of terrain. Kennywoods existing coasters are great examples. A woodie or hybrid can incorporate inspiration from other coasters such as Ravine Flyer II or Boulder Dash.

2. The proposed area is mostly untouched aside from the existing structures. I expect this coaster could be really fun at night due to the fact that minimal lighting is available. Those who have ridden Phantom at night know what the 2nd drop into pitch black is like.

3. If it is an RMC their engineering could truly set this one apart. The loop on Goliath for example or the ejector elements on Wicked Cyclone. They could even do something inside that building from the old railroad.

4. This could potentially have the tallest drop on a wooden coaster depending on how they use the ravine. If Harry Henninger was involved, I would almost count on it. He had amazing vision for projects like this.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Samuel » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:10 pm

The new coaster buzz put me in the mood to check out Phantom Fright Nights for a couple of hours on Saturday. When I got to the park, there was more fog than I’ve ever seen in my life. It wasn’t until I left the park that I realized it was naturally a very foggy night, and when combined with the in-park fog, the environment put Silent Hill to shame.

Jack Rabbit – 10 min – Good fun as always and very smooth. The double-dip didn’t disappoint! Awesome ejector air, and a couple of nice dives into the dark October night. 8.5/10

Phantom’s Revenge – 90 min (back), 30 min (front) – My first ride in the back was pretty good, but the wait for it was initially one-train misery. Thankfully, the crew finally put the second train in service later on in the night to soak up the line.

In the back, Phantom delivered solid airtime all over the place, rivaled only in the state by SkyRush. It was running very well, balancing smoothness and aggression superbly.

In the front, holy smokes. It was the foggiest coaster ride I’ve ever experienced. I couldn't see anything. The air was crisp, the night was cool, and the Phantom shredded. It felt illegal. The speed and airtime were out of this world. It’s one of the most surreal and memorable rides I’ve ever taken on anything. How good was it? Well, better than my rides on Fury – by far. 10/10

SkyRocket – ERT! – It didn’t open with the park, and then it went down again while I was waiting in the station. When the announcement came on that maintenance was on its way, almost everyone waiting in the station cleared out. I was the smart doofus who decided to wait, and luckily for me it opened back up, sans line, only about 10 minutes later. I ended up not only getting a bunch of rides on it in a row, but an entire train to myself!

Like usual, I giggled throughout the layout. The first couple of elements are big-league thrills, and then it’s more of a family ride in the second half. Still, the first spike has awesome air in both the front and back, and the elements are glass-smooth. 8.5/10

I walked all of the scare zones, but didn’t do any of the indoor haunts. The lines for them looked to be about 20 minutes, but I did pass a few and noticed temporary walk-ons or minimal waits. Sometimes I like the haunts depending on the group I’m with, but they’re not must-do for me. In this instance, I just wanted to enjoy the atmosphere and walk around.

Overall, the park looked good! Again, the fog was everywhere. I liked park touches such as the out of tune merry-go-round and a disturbingly charming Laffing Sal makeover. Oh, and the Potato Patch fries are amazing. I know that some people get turned off by the sogginess, but I love them. They’re absolutely not overrated in my book!

It was way too dark and foggy to eyeball anything in the vicinity of the new coaster. I couldn’t even see Racer’s track while standing in front of its sign! Here are some pics around the park:
kw16.jpg
This was BEFORE the real fog rolled in!
kw17.jpg
The only lights you'll find on the Phantom this fall
kw18.jpg
El Phantom fue en fuego!
kw15.jpg
The whole park was immersed in this dense atmosphere. Fun!
kw14.jpg
The Thunderbolt area was popular, with multiple haunts, a scare zone, T-Bolt, & the Potato Patch nearby.
kw13.jpg
Haunted Noah's Ark looked great! Even its signature whistle sounded appropriately off-key.
kw12.jpg
Ghostwood Estates, the year-round shooter, decked out in green lights.
kw10.jpg
A short scare zone, but probably my favorite! I was followed by a couple of actors, and I enjoyed the props. Looked like an area someone would make in Planet Coaster!
kw11.jpg
Plus, Death Valley had cameos from old Gold Rusher friends.
kw1.jpg
Fun fact: I used to hate Laffin Sal as a kid. Fun fact: I now think she's fantastic, albeit still a little scary.
kw2.jpg
The stillness of the ride and distorted Wurlitzer playing made for one creepy Merry-go-Round.
kw8.jpg
That second train was my ERT chariot! Check out that line...
kw9.jpg
I enjoyed each of the scare zones.
kw4.jpg
Now the fog really picked up as I returned to the Phantom for an unforgettable ride in the front.
kw5.jpg
Silent Hill!
kw7.jpg
Seriously, how Phantom-y could this night get!? Just perfect.
kw6.jpg
Lost Kennywood had the only moon that I'd see, as I bid Fright Nights adieu.
kw3.jpg
Potato Patch & tenders! Delicious!

Postby viking86 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:53 am

Those are some awesome shots! All the fog makes it look super-creepy!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby bluestreak » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:15 am

Man I wish I could've been there.
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!