Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 353 - Steel Curtain POV & Rider Cam posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Re: Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Postby knaiwear » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:30 pm

nannerdw wrote:I still have no idea what's up with that mouse turn. I'm thinking it's between a brake run and a lift hill, though.

Turnaround at the top of the lift seems most likely.

I'll drink donkey urine before I'll drink a Pepsi.

Postby jconsolmagno » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:15 pm

Finally! I live 30 minutes from Kennywood, but would much rather visit Kings Island, Cedar Point or Waldameer. It's about time Kennywood did a major investment.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby RyanTPM » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:40 pm

In regards to that 'mouse turn' it looks like there's some sort of building covering the straight section just ahead of it, so it could be possibly some sort of dark ride section towards the end of the ride taken at slow speed.

Pro Rock-O-Plane Flyer

Postby nannerdw » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:32 pm

I think I'm starting to see it now.
I'm about 90% sure there's a Lightning Rod-style wave turn on the other side of that ravine. The shaping is spot-on.
Untitled.png

Where there's a little s-bend before the brake run, I'm imagining the track dodging between the drop pullout and a steel arch lift hill support structure, like the the lift on Goliath at SFGAm. That type of lift hill would make sense on this terrain.
Last edited by nannerdw on Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:53 am.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby KPfreak519 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:01 pm

So freaking awesome to finally see this in the works. The "Racer ravine coaster" has been a Kennywood rumor/dream for what feels like forever. Much like the park expansion to the other side of Kennywood Boulevard, it had begun to feel more like an urban legend that would never actually happen.
PITTSBURGH PENGUINS 2009 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!

Go Hokies

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby knaiwear » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:18 pm

^^I like it, it's backwards from what I was thinking but it makes pretty good sense and would be totally different than what's out there. The only thing I question is the wide radius of the turn between the "molten steel shed" and the "2nd lift" - it looks like it's wide enough for a medium-speed section, not a slow speed turn before a lift?

Pro Rock-O-Plane Flyer

Postby nannerdw » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:29 pm

knaiwear wrote:^^I like it, it's backwards from what I was thinking but it makes pretty good sense and would be totally different than what's out there. The only thing I question is the wide radius of the turn between the "molten steel shed" and the "2nd lift" - it looks like it's wide enough for a medium-speed section, not a slow speed turn before a lift?

Yeah, that's the main thing that's a little off. I was thinking the barrel roll over the poured steel could be pretty high off the ground, up near the ceiling of that building, and then drop down a bit before going into the lift. Google Earth says the upper part of that building is about 14 ft wide, and the top of the roof is 40 ft high.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby BansheeFanshee » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:14 pm

2018 is slowly shaping up to be a huge year for coasters around the world! :airtime:

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:20 am

I really hope to hell that is an RMC coaster. If so then I see myself frequenting Kennywood much more often starting in 2018. That would be the closest one to me and I would gladly do the 4 hour drive to it!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:15 am

Ccron10 wrote:I really hope to hell that is an RMC coaster. If so then I see myself frequenting Kennywood much more often starting in 2018. That would be the closest one to me and I would gladly do the 4 hour drive to it!

If RMC, Would it be Wooden or Iron Horse/I-Box?
And I hope that 2017 is the New Old Mill without Garfield.
Proud Member of the 800th Coaster in 2019

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!