Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 353 - Steel Curtain POV & Rider Cam posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Re: Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Postby Cj1990 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:44 am

I have never even seen 'brisk' work being done. Even people I go with that aren't enthusiasts ask me, "why are they going so slowly?"
I never see them chatting or fooling around... I literally just seem them not caring and moving at a glacial pace. I will film it for you next time. I used to work in operations for SFMM on X2 and literally never had an accident.... but we hustled... even on days where it was 100 + we were working our butts off to make sure we were getting people on and out as quickly as possible.
Being safe doesn't mean moving painfully slow with a look and an attitude that you don't care. If they were smiling and having a good time and moving quickly that would look better, IMO, than moving sluggishly and looking miserable. I literally am going to film for you next time I am in line. That way you don't need to take my word for it. They need immense improvements.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby PennStater » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:06 am

Let me just throw this out there... you'll never see me moving slow while checking restraints. :p However, yes many of the team members at Kennywood do have this issue. Why? I wish I knew. It seems there's just an unfortunate lack of motivation and enthusiasm. They are not rewarded for working fast and therefore see no reason to do so. It's just not in their mindset, I guess. To my knowledge, none of our coasters have cycle counters on them (maybe Sky Rocket does but I've never worked controls there) so there's no way to make it a "contest" like at some parks. I wish there was an answer. If only we could hire all 21+ and also air condition the park... maybe that would help? :lmao:
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (August - December)

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Cj1990 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:28 pm

lol. I have wanted, on so many occasions, so apply there to be in operations in some form. I just think that someone needs to be on the teams at all times watching them. If there isn't a reward system... maybe punishment for not performing well lol. If you can't beat them, join them.
I wasn't rewarded for moving fast at SFMM, but we still did. It's funny. I made double working for AT&T and did so much less work there, yet still hustled.... I think because we got in trouble if we didn't. At the time I worked there, it was back in '09, and we weren't utilizing trackers yet. I don't even remember doing competitions. So I know for sure you can have great operations without additional tools. I am glad to hear you are a hard worker =] makes me feel a little better that not every employee is a snail lol

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Samuel » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:34 pm

PennStater wrote:Let me just throw this out there... you'll never see me moving slow while checking restraints. :p However, yes many of the team members at Kennywood do have this issue. Why? I wish I knew. It seems there's just an unfortunate lack of motivation and enthusiasm. They are not rewarded for working fast and therefore see no reason to do so. It's just not in their mindset, I guess. To my knowledge, none of our coasters have cycle counters on them (maybe Sky Rocket does but I've never worked controls there) so there's no way to make it a "contest" like at some parks. I wish there was an answer. If only we could hire all 21+ and also air condition the park... maybe that would help? :lmao:

I've noticed a palpable "too cool for school" fringe among young employees in Pittsburgh, in all kinds of jobs, from retail to customer service. I can't tell you how many times I've had orders screwed up at stores and restaurants by a mumbling Slim Shady kid, or a high school junior who flirts with a girl throughout my entire transaction. Kennywood doesn't import European employees like Hershey and Cedar Point do, so I believe it has to make do with local applicants. Two years ago, I witnessed the Sky Rocket dispatcher passively say to another operator, "Okay, just lemme finish this page" -- she was doing homework on the job while the trains stacked. Things could and should improve, but I don't blame Kennywood for not being able to totally wring those tendencies out of the local teens. At the same time, like PennStater pointed out, there are examples of caring, fast-moving employees at Kennywood, and I don't want to forget about them because of a few bad apples.

Pittsburgh is an odd place...it culturally stands alone, for better or worse, with few cultural imports or exports. The city is a weird combination of a beautiful skyline, famous sports teams, great museums, food, schools, technology, banking, and Kennywood :p ...but also some sketchy neighborhoods and "Walmart people" Appalachian vibes that don't foster courteous efficiency as a virtue. I also think that the huge focus on youth sports in the area grows early egos in kids when they're 14 or 15, and when that sets the tone for what's cool, you don't get humble, fast-moving employees.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby xChris125x » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:04 am

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:27 am

Samuel wrote:
PennStater wrote:Let me just throw this out there... you'll never see me moving slow while checking restraints. :p However, yes many of the team members at Kennywood do have this issue. Why? I wish I knew. It seems there's just an unfortunate lack of motivation and enthusiasm. They are not rewarded for working fast and therefore see no reason to do so. It's just not in their mindset, I guess. To my knowledge, none of our coasters have cycle counters on them (maybe Sky Rocket does but I've never worked controls there) so there's no way to make it a "contest" like at some parks. I wish there was an answer. If only we could hire all 21+ and also air condition the park... maybe that would help? :lmao:

I've noticed a palpable "too cool for school" fringe among young employees in Pittsburgh, in all kinds of jobs, from retail to customer service. I can't tell you how many times I've had orders screwed up at stores and restaurants by a mumbling Slim Shady kid, or a high school junior who flirts with a girl throughout my entire transaction. Kennywood doesn't import European employees like Hershey and Cedar Point do, so I believe it has to make do with local applicants. Two years ago, I witnessed the Sky Rocket dispatcher passively say to another operator, "Okay, just lemme finish this page" -- she was doing homework on the job while the trains stacked. Things could and should improve, but I don't blame Kennywood for not being able to totally wring those tendencies out of the local teens. At the same time, like PennStater pointed out, there are examples of caring, fast-moving employees at Kennywood, and I don't want to forget about them because of a few bad apples.

Pittsburgh is an odd place...it culturally stands alone, for better or worse, with few cultural imports or exports. The city is a weird combination of a beautiful skyline, famous sports teams, great museums, food, schools, technology, banking, and Kennywood :p ...but also some sketchy neighborhoods and "Walmart people" Appalachian vibes that don't foster courteous efficiency as a virtue. I also think that the huge focus on youth sports in the area grows early egos in kids when they're 14 or 15, and when that sets the tone for what's cool, you don't get humble, fast-moving employees.

You could say this about almost all of the youth throughout the country today. That sense of entitlement is everywhere. I wouldn't say it's just a problem in Pittsburgh, Kennywood just so happens to be located right in the middle of one of those areas, so you experience it full-force.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:25 pm

^ I was going to respond and say that it sounded a lot like Buffalo...with the exception of the beautiful skyline, famous (good) sports teams, great museums, schools, technology, banking, and Kennywood.

And then of course, throw in the sketchy neighborhoods, "Walmart people" Appalachian vibes that don't foster courteous efficiency as a virtue and toss in: Chicago-style crime for good measure.

Voila...that sounds just like Buffalo! :lmao:

PS: I will throw a bone out there that I intentionally left out food as I think that is one big highlight for Buffalo. That and what they are doing to clean up the waterfront downtown. Good stuff.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:39 pm

Samuel wrote:

I've been in this stupid hobby for 20 years and there's nothing now about park employees that's any worse than it was in 1996. As an example, here's some guy's trip report from SFNE, back when it was Riverside -

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.roller-coaster/riverside$20park$20TR$2096|sort:relevance/rec.roller-coaster/55vw1xRKcxM/OeaXyAAVFiQJ

In fairness, Riverside was considered a total pit back then, but yeah, nothing's really changed except that now there's no real barriers to entry for one to make money writing think pieces about what new generations are ruining.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:55 pm

As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Samuel » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:35 pm

larrygator wrote:
xChris125x wrote:Image

Yes, it was mentioned 5 days ago

If true, boy, ain't that just like Kennywood? Some of the terrain acrobatics and even the aesthetics shown on Lightning Rod and Outlaw Run just scream Kennywood all over. If a layout could be carved over the far hillside past Log Jammer and/or along the train hillside a la Boulder Dash, I can't imagine what nuttiness RMC could develop. Come on, Kennywood, be the second park to go for the Chance/Morgan-RMC super combo! Hey, no harm in a little daydreaming, right?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!