Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Shane's Amusement Attic

Postby netdvn » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:13 am

It is a shame that a lot of these potential concepts never came to life. Like I said before, if Paramount had invested a bit more in these projects, the park might have been in a different state than it is now. As much as the park didn't want to compete directly with SFDK, a major thrill ride every once in a while would've been cool for the park.

I really prefer the original Coney Island theme over the movie/TV show tie-ins (as much as I do like the names - Speed Coaster is too generic for me).
Artwork - Facebook - Flickr - DeviantART - Instagram -Geauga Lake Reborn! M&M's World - Don't look back as you brave the Black Forest BGW/KD Crowd Calendar

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RoCo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:49 pm

This is museum-quality material. Just awesome. Thanks so much for sharing all this.

Personally, I think the "Beavis and Butthead Do Great America" concept is hysterical and brilliant, and considering that new episodes are coming soon (can I get a HELLYEAH?!), it would have held up well as a theme. But that's just me. ;)

Burning question: Was "Stealth" ever really intended to have a "Mission: Impossible" theme, as has long been rumored?
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

Reeks of Books

Postby CorkscrewFoley » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:13 pm

Shane, I had been pissing my pants waiting for this update, and it was worth the wait! I wish they would've gone with the Coney island theme myself, as well as the Morgan hyper and Beavis and Butthead (I was a teenager when they first came out). Thank you as always. :)

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:13 pm

It makes me sad that my home park, CGA, could've had awesome rides put in but never did, such as:

-This Morgan Lift coaster
-Hypersonic XLC
-GCI Wooden Coaster

Though, it seems Invertigo "replaced" the Morgan Lift coaster.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:22 am

RoCo wrote:This is museum-quality material. Just awesome. Thanks so much for sharing all this.

Personally, I think the "Beavis and Butthead Do Great America" concept is hysterical and brilliant, and considering that new episodes are coming soon (can I get a HELLYEAH?!), it would have held up well as a theme. But that's just me. ;)

Burning question: Was "Stealth" ever really intended to have a "Mission: Impossible" theme, as has long been rumored?

It was discussed for Stealth to be a Mission Impossible theme. As a matter of fact "Stealth" was the name given to the project while negotiating was done to get the license. Tom Cruise is a major partner in that franchise and he is the one that killed the deal not Paramount.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby ValleyfairFan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Shane,

Based on your experience how often did the city of Santa Clara kill projects like this and provide roadblocks versus a lack of "want" (for lack of a better word) from Paramount to invest in big attractions the park?

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:46 am

Rollercoaster Rider wrote:Shane, You said that Paramount Parks had to buy rights for usage of Paramount Names, Does Six Flags have the same Policy with Warner Bros?

Of course. They pay an expensive license fee for every intellectual property they use. After the newness of the attraction wears off the license fee can continue to be very expensive that is why some of the branding gets dropped after a few seasons such as "Outer Limits" Flight of Fear.

Even in studio parks such as Universal I would imagine that even though the movie based attraction is a universal property thaw actual movie is owned by producers, writers and the stars themselves and license fees must be paid for them. You can bet that Universal Studios is paying huge license fees for most of their attractions ( Joey would be more the expert on this since he works for them). The one exception to this might be Disney with their movies. Anyone know how that works?
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:41 am

^ Same thing goes with other film studio licensed products, When i was a Producer for MGM and Disney, we had to pay heavy licensing fees, and get permission on subject matter for properties you would think the studios owned. For example, when working for MGM, and I was the interactive Producer of the James Bond franchise, and even though MGM distributes those films, we still had to pay several entities for the rights. That included Danjaq (the production company), Pierce Brosnan (who played Bond at the time), and several other writers, actors, etc, etc....

And they all had a "say" in what content we produced, and if they felt strongly enough, they could change or even kill an entire project. For example, I clearly remember one very important Bond meeting where we were all flown out to Pinewood Studios for a meeting with the director, actors, and production company of "The World is Not Enough" to discuss "the effects of Columbine" in video games, where the producers of the Bond franchise suggested that the video games not have any weapons in them, so as to not to promote violence, and instead be "gadget based puzzle games." Yes, this was actually suggested, and the entire project was nearly cancelled.

So yeah, I can totally relate to what Shane is saying....

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:43 am

This is, in my opinion, one of the best message threads ON THE ENTIRE INTERNET! I've followed it from the very beginning, and it just continues to get better and better! Amazing history! Shane is THE BOMB! (OK, showing my age there, for a bit!)

I can never get enough of these "inside" historic stories... Thank you Shane!!!
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RoCo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:58 am

montezooma wrote:
RoCo wrote:Burning question: Was "Stealth" ever really intended to have a "Mission: Impossible" theme, as has long been rumored?

It was discussed for Stealth to be a Mission Impossible theme. As a matter of fact "Stealth" was the name given to the project while negotiating was done to get the license. Tom Cruise is a major partner in that franchise and he is the one that killed the deal not Paramount.

So it WAS Cruise all along... what a party-pooper. An M:I theme would have been SO GOOD for that attraction.

I blame Scientology. ALL HAIL XENU!!!!!!
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!