Hanna Barbera Land Concept Art

The way things could have been!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Hanna Barbera Land Concept Art

Postby CdnbMatt » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:52 pm

I came across some very interesting Hanna Barbera Land concept art today. It's fascinating to see what this could have been. I can assume this was made for Canada's Wonderland, Kings Island, Kings Dominion etc.... BUT... I don't really know if it was made specifically for one park or not. Either way...enjoy!
hbland01.jpg
The entrance to Hanna Barbera Land. In reality....a rainbow.
hbland02.jpg
Some of the building ideas. I'd say, for Wonderland anyway, they incorporated some of these ideas into the final product.
hbland03.jpg
This was for a restaurant called Yogi's Picnic Basket...attached was a gift shop.
hbland04.jpg
More Yogi goodness.
hbland05.jpg
This was for a car attraction in the Bedrock area....perhaps an early Hot Rock Raceway. If you look in the background the track looks pretty awesome.
hbland06.jpg
Smurf Village..... kind of reminds me of thr Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area at MGM... looks great though!
hbland07.jpg
Are you freaking kidding me? How wicked would this ride have been!! Heck....it would still be great today!
hbland08.jpg
A map of the above mentioned boat ride!
hbland09.jpg
Possibly for a Jetson's themed area...
hbland10.jpg
Close-up of the above mentioned ride Jet Craft Ship Plane Space ride!
hbland11.jpg
Not really sure what this would have been, but maybe a "Backlot Tour" type tram ride.... or some kind of dark ride.
hbland12.jpg
Test Track....on the MOON!
hbland13.jpg
See......I can see how this was never built. I think they were getting a little ahead of their 1970's technology they had at the time. Neat idea though.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby jackskellington101 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:59 pm

Cool concepts! I wonder when they were made. Something tells me that the plans were probably sometime in the 60s. A Space Ghost ride (the flying ships) would have been awesome though. Even more, that boat ride which looks like was themed to Sealab 2020 is hysterical, seeing that Sealab was not a success until Adult Swim got a hold of it and turned it into Sealab 2021.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby raptorcrew2002 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:28 pm

Interesting possible relation.. Might not be same artist.
Artist name might be on main street @ DL.

Source Laughingplace.com

Bruce Bushman
Bruce Bushman worked on attractions for Disneyland from the beginning. He herded the classic, hand carved German horses of the Carousel pieces from the coral under the pier at Coney Island and took many of the non-horse pieces that were a part of the Disneyland Carousel and put them to use on the Casey Jr. Circus Train. He also helped with the design of the Mickey Mouse Club Circus and designed the Phantom Boats. Bruce was a large, husky man and Walt decided that his proportions would be used as a guide for the seating on the attractions.
Alastair Dallas: Bushman was the son of "famous" (back then, I guess) actor Francis X. Bushman.

Only Bushman that comes up on Google with a theme park relationship. Interesting. Wonder which park this was actually for? Universal? Thats seems like way to much detail for a Paramount park, even back then.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:48 pm

If only, if only...

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby scruffy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:51 pm

Well I do know at one time Kings Island was going to be called the Happy World of Hanna Barbera.

Taft owned Hanna Barbera, Kings Island and Kings Dominion at one time.

Shame none of the these rides where not made.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Sparebear75 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:58 pm

Wow! Thanks for sharing those.

All I want is a chainlift!

Postby pkdcoaster » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:59 pm

Some of those are a little over the top for the early 70s but some of those would have been cool, like Yogi's picnic basket and the Flinstones house.

I don't really remember any types of "real" theming with the exception of smurf Mtn and Yogi's Cave.

Oh yea thanks alot for those pics they were really cool.

JEFF
Actual Coaster Count: 402

Fav. Park: Cedar Point
Fav. Steel: Intimidator 305/ Fury 325
Fav. Wood: El Toro/Voyage

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:36 pm

The Flintstones car ride looks like it would have been absolutely amazing!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:02 pm

Wow, but perhaps a bit too ambitious for a Paramount park. The concept art looks amazing, but it just does not seem particle for the park it would go in, and it looks like something that would be in a Disney or Universal park. In fact, some of the attractions look similar to some rides Disney planned.

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:47 pm

Several have said "these designs are too ambitious, etc...". Walt Disney was told similarly about his dream and, though he had several things to fix, built 2 wonderful parks that we still enjoy today. Glad he didn't follow that kind of thinking.

Back during the time the drawings were made, designers were encouraged to think big, just as they are today. We term it "create a great, never before seen, interactive, etc... entertainment experience " and say "think outside the box", but it's the same idea. They were brainstorming and refining.

What wonderful creativity to come about, inspite of the limited technology, resources, etc. Too bad these ideas were shelved, since they seemed to be designed with that certain fun and whimsy that was prominant in 60's and 70's. Parks then may not have had as many technically advanced rides, but they were a lot more fun. Better, warmer, happier vibe. No, it wasn't those funny little cigarettes, or too much perm solution either.

These diagrams are great historical pieces. Thank you for posting them.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!