Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

P. 107: Runaway Tram (Family coaster) coming in 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

Postby YoshiFan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:19 am

They also no longer allow single riders on Pirates of Wildwood.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:23 am

I wonder if it has anything to do with the girl falling out of the Giant Wheel a couple years ago. They used to allow single riders on that, but since the incident they don't.

Postby boldikus » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:39 am

With the Pope coming to Philly this weekend people are acting like its the apocalypse and everyone I know in Philly is heading down to Wildwood. Since Morey's is only open one more weekend, I decided to get a jump start and head down to my folks over the weekend to get some last rides of the year. Got in late Friday night so didn't head up to the boardwalk til Saturday afternoon after getting a load on @ brunch. ;) I was riding alone as my folks decided to relax on the beach.

I decided to try to ride as much as I could and use up any remaining tickets I had left on my Wild Card since I won't be down again before the piers close (I think I had close to 100 tix when I checked it). Headed to Adventure Pier first and hopped on the Screaming Swing for two consecutive rides. Ops let me reride (not for free - they took my card and swiped it again) since no one ever rides this amazing flat and there was no wait. Of course I bribed them to run the cycle longer but as always they laughed and explained maintenance would have to come and do that.

Also jumped on the Great White for a back seat ride on the blue train and it was very sluggish and bumpy. Still fun. Headed off down the boards to grab my final slice of Macks Pizza for the year, excellent as always. Do not sleep on Macks if you are in Wildwood. Just the best. Wandered further down to Surfside pier, hopped on the Kong flyers, got a little snapping going and didn't get kicked off like last time lol. Decided to take a ride on Atmosfear, their Larson drop tower. Its the only ride on the piers that intimidates me but its so ridiculous and fun. Rode with a little girl next to me who was scared out of her mind. About 3/4 up the tower she nervously asks me "Have you ridden this before?" to which I happily replied "Yep!" She then asked "is it gonna just drop or does it stop" and before I could finish saying "It just drops!" we were already on our way down. She let out a big "WOW!" when we hit the brakes.

All summer I've been wanting to hop on the Flitzer and the line is always one of the longest since its a coaster all the really young kids can ride, but today the line was about 5 minutes, so I jumped in. The entire queue were 7-10 year olds, and then big old me. :) Such a great little junior coaster and always a nostalgic ride. I left Surfside and slowly walked back to Adventure to get another ride on the Great White and Screaming Swing. Only running blue train on TGW so I hopped in and braced myself but it felt a bit smoother on that ride. I headed back to my folks to meet up with them for dinner (Five Guys and more drinks, yo).

After dinner my folks decided to hang at the house but I had a few tickets left and there would be fireworks on the beach at 9pm so I walked back up and got in two more rides on the Screaming Swing (the ops were like "Oh, he's back...") and two more laps on the Great White. TGW was now running both trains so I waited an extra cycle for the red train and had a great ride. I'd heard Kohr Bros had some pumpkin custard but of course they were out so I snagged a peanut butter + chocolate twist on a waffle cone and slowly strolled back to my folks place to end a nice day.

Side note: last weekend I bought an El Toro t-shirt at Great Adv so I wore it while out on Saturday and had at least 10 people throughout the day and night say something to me about it. One of the game employees even yelled it to me across the boardwalk on the microphone. "HEY ELLL TOOOOROOO!!!!!" lolol so f*cking funny.

No photos, had no camera with me this weekend but just wanted to share my last weekend of the season at one of my favorite places on earth. All in all not a bad day of solo riding.

Great White 4x
Screaming Swing 5x
Kong 1x
Flitzer 1x
Atmosfear 1x

Postby boldikus » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:57 pm

Sorry for the doubleposts but wanted to share this. Morey's created a little through-the-years video about their history as well as an interactive time line about their ride additions/general history over the years. Pretty cool.

Postby boldikus » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:35 pm

Having a moment of silence or some sh*t over here for the Great White. Hang in there, buddy.

Photo credit: Watch The Tram Car Please dot com

Kinda hard to see, but that the first and 3rd turnarounds - the two closest to the ocean, there behind the Wildwood Convention Center. The ocean has come up to and in some spots come passed the boardwalk, which basically means the entire coaster (and most definitely the tunnel right out the of the station) are completely flooded. For those unfamiliar, the majority of the ride was built not on the pier, but right on the beach.

To give you an idea of how far up the water is (if you are not familiar with Wildwood).
great white.jpg

Annoying, impatient and needs to be kicked by a donkey.

Postby I305forever » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:45 pm

Yeesh... I hope Hurrcaine Joquain (Phoenix) isnt as bad as Sandy!
Still confused about why vekomas headquarters hasn't been burnt down by an angry mob of enthusiasts

Postby boldikus » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:14 pm

We're getting hit by a Nor'easter right now, its actually a different weather pattern than Joaquin. But what we are getting now is hitting the shore points pretty hard - Ocean City in particular is almost completely under water, and the back bay in Wildwood, which is normally a block away from my parents home, is currently in their back yard.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby Suspence1127 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:54 pm

boldikus wrote:We're getting hit by a Nor'easter right now, its actually a different weather pattern than Joaquin.

I wonder if it hurts as much to be outside right now in the storm or to ride the vekoma slc? :lmao:
Maybe the Nor'easter will damage the nor'easter (and hopefully nothing else) and we will just HAVE to get a B&M invert replacement ;)

*edit*
Nice trip reports by the way. Thanks for sharing!

Postby boldikus » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:56 am

Gotta love that Moreys does this even when they are closed for the season. My mom took this the other night and sent it over to me. They will usually do something Christmas related (Santa, a Xmas tree) in December.
wildwood boardwalk.jpg

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Metsfan0618 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:08 pm

Morey's has listed their Sky Coaster from Surfside Pier and their Wisdom Tornado for sale on IRM rides.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/IRM-Rides/159151417432031

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!