Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

P. 107: Runaway Tram (Family coaster) coming in 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

Postby BlahBlahson » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:35 pm

Just so everyone is aware, the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo for Great Nor'Easter are free for 30 minutes but you have to swipe a credit card in advance to open one.

I went to Wildwood on a road trip for the great annual Beach Ultimate Tournament, and caught the rides while I was there.

Positives:

-The Great White surpassed expectations. GLASS smooth, no real airtime but a nice layout and a fantastic view.
-Better Flats than the other Shore Parks. :angel:
-The suprise hit of the trip, the Flitzer. If I owned a park, I would snap one of these up as my kids coaster in a heartbeat. Much better than a Wacky Worm/Rollerskater/Wisdom coaster or any other and I bet with the age they are cheaper to acquire.
-The Ghost ship was waaaaaaaay longer than I was expecting, and I also liked the "Childbirth simulation" portion. LOL
-The Pirates Ride: Watch The Tram Car Please
-Any and all Boardwalk Pizza. I tried Sam's, Joe's, and Mack's.
-What a huge and amazing beach. A sight to see for sure.
-WAWA

A few Negatives:
-The Vekomas were both Awful. Thank god for the restraint change at Nor'Easter.
-Also, the Mouse and Rollies Coaster were meh. So the coaster collection as a whole is really unremarkable.
-55 Bucks or 9 dollars for a single coaster ride...I understand it's not really a ripoff for the shore but when Morey's is more expensive than SFGADV I know where I'm more likely to pay again.
-The distance between piers became annoying when Doo Whopper opened late, Ghost Ship opened at 5, and Great White was the only coaster worth rerides.

Overall I would be likely to return to Wildwood for the Frisbee, but only go on the rides if there was a new credit.
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby JJLehto » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:54 pm

Been a few years, but I recall it being a good time and the Great White was indeed surprisingly fun. I really liked that ride.
Won't touch the Vekoma unless I was paid to do so!
So agreed, I really wouldn't go for the rides, just the Great White if want a break from the beach.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby MagnumFreak25 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:08 pm

I didn't think that Nor' Eastern was considered that bad. Is it?
Top 10:
El Toro, Boulder Dash, Magnum, Phantom, Maverick, Goliath (SFOG), Millenium, Nitro, Dragster, Storm Runner

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:26 pm

I too am NOT a beachgoer but since my folks live in WW year round I'm there quite a bit. Lucky for me there are lots of rides to keep me occupied when everyone goes to the beach! ;) Except off season of course, then we just sit around and drink in my folks hot tub lol, tho the boardwalk is fun to visit when its a ghost town in january/february. Its kind of torture and a bit eerie but also pretty neat.

Fun fact for those that don't know: the giant Gateway 26 arcade right across from Morey's is open 365 days a year, so there's always ski-ball/crane machines to be played! Also, so is Fudge Kitchen. Its pretty weird when they are the ONLY things open on the entire 5 mile stretch of boardwalk.
Last edited by boldikus on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:32 pm.

Postby JJLehto » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:32 pm

MagnumFreak25 wrote:I didn't think that Nor' Eastern was considered that bad. Is it?

Honestly I just avoided it entirely, I figured why even bother? (I'm not really a cred whore, quality over quantity!)
Depending on the price, even if it wasn't that bad, I doubt I'd ever go on it.

Hey drinking, hot tubs, and strolling the boardwalk sound pretty great!
Sadly I am viewed as normal by my friends :lmao: so I can't ride stuff solo like that, have to work a park/rides into the plan somehow. Otherwise I'd do the same as you!
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Fury 325, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, Maverick, Goliath (SFoG), I305, Lightning Run
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast

Postby boldikus » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:39 pm

^ Ive ridden the Great Nor'easter *hundreds* of times, no exaggeration. Both with the old trains and new. Since I'm there so often they are the coasters Ive ridden more than any others. GN'E I always considered my fave of the "big" three on the piers, until this year. The new trains were a huge improvement originally and made it totally ride-able, even rerideable. Ive been on twice this year and both times the train had a seriously mean rattle and the 2nd time I was legitimately frightened as it seemed the entire train would tear apart mid-ride. With the "wanding" they are doing before the ride this year, I've avoided it since that 2nd ride. I'd say the Great White is my favorite now as it's running so freaking great this year.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby gecomet92 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:55 pm

Right after the new trains were put on, I rode it 11 times in a row. I'm sure if I was crazy that night or I was in the sweet spot for the restraints sizewise.

Postby boldikus » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:06 pm

So as I said I was down this past weekend and the missus and I ventured up to ther boardwalk after dinner and drinks for a late evening stroll and ride. We avoided the 'Sea Serpent' & didn't even venture down to Surfside Pier for the 'Nor'easter', even though I was itching to the ride their 'Atmosfear' drop ride to compare it to my recent 'Zumanjaro' experience. We are closer to Wildwood Crest (southern part of the island) so the closest pier is Adventure Pier, home to Wildwood's modest yet amazing woodie, 'The Great White'. I've always been partial to steel coasters but this thing is running so amazing this year I can't gush about it enough. Like me, most Philadelphians spend their summer vacations in Wildwood, so just about anyone who has mentioned they were headed down has had to deal with me demanding they ride The GW while in town.

Me and the missus arrived on the boardwalk at around 10pm and jumped right on for a nice nighttime roll in the back seat. She hesitated to ride in the back as she hasn't been on any coasters since SFGAdv opening day, but the smile on her face on the brake run said it all. :) Great airtime over the drop and some nice pops on the bunnyhills toward the end. So smooth, only some shuffle on the turnaround before the bunnyhills.

We then made our way down to Mariners Landing for their new Riptide ride that replaced their old Sea Dragon that had that accident a few years ago. This one seemed to go way higher and the op let it run for a really long time. We sat on the end for maximum airtime. Lots of fun. I don't like most flats as I can't do spinning stuff. So what next? The "clam" themed 'Tilt-A-Whirl' of course, lol. The missus insisted. Fun but woozy. I made it out alive. We jumped in the weirdo 3D pirate boat ride for a mellow laugh. One scare actor inside running up to us and staring. If he was trying to be creepy it worked. Skipped the 'Sea Serpent' and 'Rollies coaster'. Meh, not in the mood for OTSRs.

Quick stop at Macks pizza (the only pizza to eat in Wildwood, no question) just as they were closing and got our favorite slices (me: pepperoni, her: green pepper). Delish, always!

We slowly strolled back toward Adventure Pier to head home as it was after midnight and most shops and the rides were beginning to shut down. BUT The Great White was still running! Down the pier we hustled and walk on to the front row. Empty train save for another couple in the back row. Not as fun as our first ride earlier as this train crawled and lacked the airtime we got in the back. After exiting the missus asked me for one more ride (you don't have to ask, love!), so we walked around and did the back row again. AMAZING. Had a few more folks on this ride so we were hauling ass. Just as we were exiting the platform the pier announced on the loudspeaker they were closing. GREAT way to end the night.

If you are close by stop in town to ride this and eat Macks pizza. Thank me later. I'll be back in town with some other folks in a few weekends. Didn't take many pics but here's a few - my camera takes shitty pics at night. Very blurry, sorry.
DSC02431.JPG
Our view upon coming up the ramp off my folks street. :)
DSC02434.JPG
Drop
DSC02435.JPG
Turnaround
DSC02439.JPG
DSC02442.JPG
Mariners Landing
DSC02443.JPG
New elevated Waveswinger and the Great Wheel seems to have a new light program (and a very long line @11pm Saturday night)
DSC02447.JPG
Crap shot of the Riptide from just below in the queue. I meant to get another when we got off but...
DSC02451.JPG
Looking at the Great White from the Riptide. (Yes I had my camera out on the ride - just for a second during loading!) Til next time...

Postby JJLehto » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:10 pm

Wonderful pics! Those are spectacular, and though I rarely hit "the beach" it reminds me why I do love walking the shore...
I hear Great White is also running great this year??

Shoot...it's been years, I gotta make a stop at Morey's me thinks!
I'm with you, always loved that ride. Figured it was just nostalgia/home feels for me but maybe not!

Postby boldikus » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:45 am

After my all day trip to SFGAdv on Friday the 15th, my coastermania weekend continued with a ride down to Wildwood on Saturday morning, with the missus and two of my closest friends. We stayed with my folks and actually went up to the boardwalk three times over the course of Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday we stopped up around dinnertime to eat some MACKS pizza (the best in town) and to walk down the beach to dip our feet in the ocean. Strolled the boards a bit but no rides.

Later on we made a trip back up around 10pm and right on to the back seat of the Great White. Line was out of the station and down the steps, first time Ive seen that long of a line in quite some time. Full train, and hauling ass. After all of our rides this season we've decided we prefer the red over the blue train as the restraint sits higher on the blue train and sort of leans into your stomach while the red trains restraints sit over your thighs making for a more comfortable ride. Great air on the first drop and the bunnyhills. The turnaround before the bunnyhills needs to be retracked, its so bumpy. But otherwise a great great ride.

We made it down to Mariners Pier and did the Riptide (the new Sea Dragon/ pirate ship ride). Sat on the end for great air, super fun. Ride cycle is easily 4-5 minutes. Love that they run it so long. We got some boardwalk eats (more Macks pizza, some Khor Bros custard, yum!) and were on our way home around midnight.

Sunday afternoon we headed back up for a few more rides - another back seat on the Great White, very stoked to walk up and see that only the red train was running! And we got a ride with another almost full train so we had another great ride on it. My buddy and I also did the Screaming Swing ride which was a ton of fun. After doing Zumanjaro a few times recently I was determined to do Wildwood's Atmosfear drop ride, so I did it alone. Felt more forceful of a drop but so much shorter than Zum. All in all a great weekend with tons of quality riding.

The Great White x2
Screaming Swing x1
Riptide x1
Atmosfear x1
Tram Car x1 (so bumpy its a ride all in itself!)
DSC02494.JPG
Blue train coming in off break run.
DSC02497.JPG
Let a father/daughter in front of us so we could avoid the blue train.
DSC02499.JPG
Lift shot.
DSC02502.JPG
You can kind of make out the red train ascending the lift.
DSC02503.JPG
At the crest...
DSC02505.JPG
Sunday afternoon, only the red train running! Yay!
DSC02509.JPG
Sea Serpent (boomerang) in the distance.
DSC02511.JPG
Break run.
DSC02514.JPG
Once we boarded the entire train filled up nicely.
DSC02522.JPG
Who knew you could get healthy food on the Wildwood boardwalk?
DSC02523.JPG
THIS thing looks insane. It also costs $20 to ride. Skip!
DSC02535.JPG
The Great Wheel/Sea Serpent.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!